Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you commute in the rain?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you commute in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 06:14 PM

Bikes: surly LHT, rocky mountain cardiac, Brodie Ronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MEC cycling jacket (got on clearance for 40 bucks) and MEC semi water proof cycling tights/pants. Everything stays dry but my feet and i have to change at work anyways. I have rain covers for my panniers too.

I am lucky to have a locker room and space to hang stuff to dry.
Old 01-12-13, 06:17 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Warm weather, I just get wet with my regular cycling clothes. Feels good actually. When it's colder, say in the 40's, I'll generally wear a water resistant windbreaker and shorts, possibly with water resistant warmup sweats. Forget about aero, I'm just making the trip in those conditions.

Now I have my windshield fairing, so I was bone-dry after the rain on Friday . It doesn't matter what I wear in that case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-20130106-00024.jpg (100.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-12-13, 06:18 PM

Bikes: 89' Trek 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry stuffs daily in a vinyl messenger bag, regardless of the weather. The vinyl shields my books from elements. My belongs never get wet in the bag.
In winter, I install a pair of strap-on fenders. Pretty much that's it. I always let the bottom part of my jeans and shoes get wet. There aren't much that i can do. A pair of good quality rainpants are too pricey. Typically, my legs are soaked for 8 or 10 hours until I arrive home. Oh, I do wear a weather-proof jacket, though. In sub-zero weather, I even put on two jackets.

I'm used to getting wet in countryside.
Old 01-12-13, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So far, I drive. But I now have a bike with fenders, and thus far it has not really been raining when it has been time to ride. Wet roads and perhaps some drizzle, but no downpours. I always think the reduced visibility and more opportunities for me and the vehicles to slide makes riding in a downpour sketchy from a safety point of view. I guess missing four or five days a year because of rain is not that big a deal. Living in So Cal sure is rough.
Old 01-12-13, 07:55 PM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shepherdsflock
The only problem I'm still trying to solve with wet conditions is keeping my glasses clean. Most of the time if I stop to wipe the grime off of the lenses, it just seems to smear and make visibility even worse.
This is why a cycling cap is the most useful piece of rain gear.
Old 01-12-13, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Bear in mind that except for two, all the replies so far have been from people in northern areas. Houston is a *lot* warmer and *much* more humid. I"m not sure "ride in a suit" is even possible on nice days in Houston.

I find rain gear is useless over about 50°-55°F. I get wetter inside it from sweating. Over 50, I just ride in my regular cycling gear and get wet.

It's only water, for heaven's sake.

At work I change into in my dry work clothes and dry socks. (Ortleib panniers are absolutely waterproof.) Hang the wet stuff up to dry and usually it's pretty close to dry after six hours.

Fenders are a must, IMHO.

Oh, and either carry a towel or keep one at work. The ones I use are actually hand towels. I keep two in my locker.
+1 - I was mentally composing a response to the OP, but this pretty much sums it up for me.
Old 01-12-13, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in warm weather i don't mind getting wet, and if i'm going to work i stick my work clothes in my (waterproof) messenger bag.

in the cold/spring/fall i have a light rain jacket and a water-resistant cold weather jacket.
Old 01-13-13, 12:47 AM
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Option one is simple. I wear either a O2 rain jacket or shower pass for the top. A skull cap and a bacalava on colder days. The bottom is a little bit different. I use a Rain Leg for the upper half, a gaitor for the calves and fenders to help keep my shoe dry along with the gaitors.

Otion two: Call in sick on those days where it is pouring and build a nice lovely warm fire in my fireplace at home.
Old 01-13-13, 01:42 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
cold and heavy rain.. A cyclists rain cape.. & Rain hat or helmet cover over the helmet.
Old 01-13-13, 02:31 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Liked 153 Times in 112 Posts
Sealskinz socks or Wellington boots (not for the clip-less crew, I guess), rain jacket and pants, sealskinz all-weather gloves... Dry bag and change of clothes - condensation and sweat 'll get you in the end.

If I get too warm I roll my sleeves and pant legs up, but this means the waterproof socks and gloves quickly get soaked inside by water running down legs and arms. Any solutions to that out there? I've been wondering if wearing tennis sweat bands just above the gloves and socks would help somewhat, but haven't experimented yet....

If it's warm I'll just smile and sing in the rain
Old 01-13-13, 02:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride my road bike to work in the rain, it doesn't have fenders yet, my mtb does. So i ride the mtb, wear a hoodie as usual, bought a rain proof backpack, don't care about my pants getting wet.

They only thing that bugged me before the fenders was that mud would splash up on me and that irritated me. I'm too cheap to buy pain pants and jacket, but if I had the money I would.
Old 01-13-13, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All depends on temp. I have Craft Bulit rain pants, a showers pass jacket for cold and/or cold&wet. For less cold or less wet, REI Headwind pants and jacket. Also use a PI convertable lightweight jacket. Banjo Bros waterproof panniers (simple and cheap).

Fogging glasses is a big deal at stoplights, or if it is warm. Still haven't overcome that.
Old 01-13-13, 11:46 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Over 60F degrees, I just get wet. Under 60F; Illuminite jacket,
winter gloves, Marmot rain pants and Lake winter boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-KvGdYfps
Old 01-13-13, 12:10 PM
just ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interceptor - what bike path is that in the video?
Old 01-13-13, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Warm rain, over 60, I usually just get wet.

A helmet cover is a big plus -- get one that's bright yellow, not black, if you're riding in traffic. Motorists have a harder time seeing in the rain, might as well stay visible.

On my feet, SPD sandals stay much warmer than wet shoes, no mass of wet fabric sucking the heat out of your feet.

Backpack is a Seattle Sports AquaKnot drybag in bright yellow.

Cool rain, over mid-30s, I wear knee-length rain pants and layer my upper body so I stay warm but damp.

Rainy Day Conspicuity - Rear by joshua_putnam, on Flickr

Rainy Day Conspicuity - Front by joshua_putnam, on Flickr

Below mid-30s, I'll add socks, full-length thermal tights, and a rain jacket.

Last edited by jputnam; 01-13-13 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
Not trying to derail the thread here, but...I have been riding going on five winters now and
I still haven't figured out how to deal with the fogging glasses in cold weather thing
Take a clean, soft cloth, cotton or microfiber.

Fill a sink with warm water, and lather up a bar of soap in the sink until the water looks a bit milky.

Dip the cloth, let it dry.

Keep it in a dry pocket when riding. If your glasses start to fog, clean them with the cloth.

The soap residue breaks the surface tension of condensation, so instead of fog you'll get a thin, uniform film of water on the lens. A little bit bleary, but much better than fog. (A tip I borrowed from a North Pacific sea captain who used these on his glasses and his pilot house windows. If you're dealing with salt spray cold enough to freeze, add just a dab of kerosene to the mix and the ice won't stick to the glass.)

If you commute in cold rain for several months of the year, you might want to prepare a dozen or so eyeglass rags at a time, and swap them out when they get dirty or de-soaped.

A helmet with a visor or a cycling cap will keep runoff away from the inside face of your glasses, making the defogging last longer before it needs to be reapplied.
Old 01-13-13, 12:21 PM
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear
Interceptor - what bike path is that in the video?
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=r...&z=18&lci=bike
Old 01-13-13, 01:03 PM
just ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Thought so but wasn't sure how to get on from the GWB. A while back I crossed the bridge from Ft. Lee looking for it and ended up riding down to 145th and taking an elevator from the park.
Old 01-13-13, 01:07 PM
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, awesome tips jputnam! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-13-13, 01:25 PM
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear
Thanks. Thought so but wasn't sure how to get on from the GWB. A while back I crossed the bridge from Ft. Lee looking for it and ended up riding down to 145th and taking an elevator from the park.
It can be tricky the 1st time, you'll usually see some riders - just ask for directions.
I have even asked unfamiliar riders to follow me, even if I'm going the opposite way.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=f...&z=16&lci=bike

I keep on reminding myself to make a video showing a turn by turn tutorial, but I keep on procrastinating
Old 01-13-13, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In hot weather I do sweat under the rain gear, but the trade-off still favors wearing the gear versus getting wet from the rain (for me). One must ride more slowly.

I used to have some yellow pants and jacket, a lightweight material, $25 each. They worked, but they would tear and I would have to repair them with yellow duct tape. Now I have Columbia rain pants that cost around $90 as I recall, and they are better BUT, at one point about a year after I got them they seemed to lose their waterproof-ness. I washed them with some cleaner made for that type of fabric, and washed them again with some waterproofing substance (got both at REI) and that seemed to restore them. The jacket is Showers Pass and I am happy with it.

I will say that if I had a day of 90 degree temperatures plus a heavy rain, things would not be so nice.
Old 01-13-13, 04:57 PM
Slowpoke

Bikes: old Stumpjumper, Riv Simple One, Riv Cheviot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's raining in the morning, I don't ride. I could, but it's just a comfort thing that I don't. Here on the Colorado front range, most of our precipitation is summer afternoon thunderstorms or snow. If it's raining and warm, I just ride home. I don't ride in the snow either, but that's out of safety concern.

We get a small number of days a year with constant gentle, usually cool, rain. A very small number. Being rare, those days are really nice around here, but I don't ride on such days.
Old 01-13-13, 05:09 PM

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually don't ride to work in the rain. I don't mind riding home in the rain though. The biggest issue with riding to work in the rain is bringing my wet bike in through the building. I guess I could keep it outside on the bike rack (it is covered and from what I can tell rather safe) but I think it might be asking for trouble of I bring it into work when it is wet and dripping. No one seems to care about my bike being brought into my office, but if I start making a mess that might change. Do others have this worry?
Old 01-13-13, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Lots of great stuff so I won't repeat. One addition, my panniers are going old and not totally waterproof so I put my clothes in plastic grocery bags before loading into panniers. It also makes unloading easier. I also ride with my phone on handlebars - quart zip locs keeps it dry
Old 01-13-13, 08:20 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Bear in mind that except for two, all the replies so far have been from people in northern areas. Houston is a *lot* warmer and *much* more humid. I"m not sure "ride in a suit" is even possible on nice days in Houston.

I find rain gear is useless over about 50°-55°F. I get wetter inside it from sweating. Over 50, I just ride in my regular cycling gear and get wet.

It's only water, for heaven's sake.

At work I change into in my dry work clothes and dry socks. (Ortleib panniers are absolutely waterproof.) Hang the wet stuff up to dry and usually it's pretty close to dry after six hours.

Fenders are a must, IMHO.

Oh, and either carry a towel or keep one at work. The ones I use are actually hand towels. I keep two in my locker.
+2
I start to think of a response, then notice if TSL has posted there's usually no reason to....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.