Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

real effective cold-weather jacket

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

real effective cold-weather jacket

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 10:39 PM
griffin_

Bikes: raliegh "too lazy to make my own" rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
windbreaker + layers underneath
only thing that was cold when i was riding today was my adams apple and it was friggin cold
cashmere is very nice in the extreme cold as an under layer
Old 12-14-05, 10:48 PM
make way for the MGL

Bikes: khs aero track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an old german army gore tex rainjacket liner that i use.. that with a sweater and i'm good in most weather. it has a small hood (way too ****ing small for my dome though), a high neck with velcro, zipper/velcro front and velcro sleeves. it's all taped seams, so its really lightweight and low-pro

it was $25 i think.
Old 12-14-05, 11:19 PM
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody know of any waterproof balaclavas? (Sorry to hijack the thread)
Old 12-15-05, 01:04 AM

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an EMS Gunk Soft Shell. It's made of Schoeller WB-400, which is one of the burliest materials out there. I wear a long sleeved tshirt under it when the temp is above 15F and a sweater for when it's below that. It's also windproof and nearly waterproof, but still breathable.

I'm also a fan of Gore Windstopper, which is what my gloves are made out of.

You should check out the winter cycling forum.

I got it for a little over $100 on sale a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-15-05, 02:12 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a burley jacket that I picked up last winter, rocksomething (point? face?) It's got pit zips and a back vent flap, and a little bit of something that's an insulating or wicking layer (not sure which, it's just a mesh). My messenger bag covers the back vent, so that's never done anything for me. Under that I wear different layers, according to the conditions. Anywhere from a tshirt and armwarmers (30-40F) to tshirt, long johns, insulated dickies hoody (neg 30-40F). But I think pretty much any mostly windproof/waterproof(resistant) outer layer with the right layers will work. I've also found that the pit zips only really get used in the warmer temps. If it's really cold, you have to stop and unzip them. For one side when you're wearing a bag, this means taking the bag off. Most of the time, it means taking the gloves off. If you're already sweating and a little soaked, that gets cold pretty fast. Especially if there's an extra layer or two in your bag, which cools when it's off you and doesn't protect while your stopped. The extra layers do help even in the bag, too. I've actually felt like I overheated just because I had too much insulating stuff in there...
Old 12-15-05, 12:28 PM
><

Bikes: a disassembled bianchi lynx i'm gonna convert to ss, a felt roadie with carbon fork, and my baby blue peugeot roadie conversion. a couple sizes too large.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the gore tool jacket yesterday. it rocks. i've gone from a 4-5+wick to 2-3+wick, which takes the bulk down. i keep those extra layers in my bag, but it's beginning to look like i don't need them. figure it'll help to reduce the amount of crap i have to carry even further. long in the back, good sleeves, 4 pockets, not bulky.

i don't know what i was thinking the last couple of years. this thing is the sh~t!
Old 12-15-05, 12:35 PM
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MEC's Whoosh jacket is nice.

Old 12-15-05, 12:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode last night in around 0 deg F temps.

cotton tee shirt
$3 wool sweater from the thrift
cheap nylon hooded windbreaker
wool socks
$2 acrylic hat
insulated wool mittens

Warm.

No need to spend much cash monies on all that gore-tex breathable soft shell vented njs poo.

Tips: A jacket with velcro cuffs helps keep out the cold. A jacket with a hood keeps you much warmer than a jacket without.

Last edited by BostonFixed; 12-15-05 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start with layers and work out from there. Nothing beats layers in my experience under just about any conditions.

The PI Barrier Jacket and REI One Jacket get my vote also. They are pretty easy to find at a good price too. Right now you can get the Cinder Green version from REI for $140, which is just about 30% off their regular price. And they will not charge for shipping if you don't mind picking the item up at one of their stores. Or you can still use their GMFRE coupon and get free shipping right to your doorstep.
Old 12-15-05, 01:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last couple days I have worn tights, wools socks, jeans, wool base layer, breathable polyester thin sweatshirt thing, Marmot ATV jacket, glove liners, gloves, winter cycling cap thingie with ear cover and a face mask.

Yesterday my little fingers were starting to get numb after being out like 1/2 hour, but otherwise I was totally comfortable.
Old 12-15-05, 01:11 PM

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last night i was riding around with one of those ****ty clear plastic rain things over a long sleeve t, a long sleeve pearl izumi jersey and then a big-ass heavy cardigan on top, and i was toasty
Old 12-16-05, 03:42 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear an EMS Thunderhead jacket(bright yellow ),with various layers underneath. Depending on just how cold it is,I'll use a long sleeve tee,sweater,or a performance fleece for the underlayer. I used a similar setup last year,but switched jackets cause the old one was drab navy blue.

The jacket is completely waterproof,breathable/pit zips/chest vents for heat management,and the hood adjusts so it doesn't screw up my vision when I put it over my helmet. Bought it on sale for like $50-60.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-16-05, 04:51 PM
no one wants an alien

Bikes: grandis track bike, cesare track bike, bianchi road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been wearing this ibex jacket through the winter so far, with good results:

Old 12-16-05, 06:55 PM
artistic tricyclist

Bikes: 2k3 Norco CRD3, 2k2 Kona Stinky, 2k1 Devinci Cactus, 1984 Norco Eliminator Mk.II, 1973 CCM Mistral, 1980s Peugot Sport SL TT, 2k1 Giant XTC NRS1, 2k Norco VPS Drop, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hit up MEC or REI. There's always good stuff on clearance.
Old 12-16-05, 08:44 PM
PBR ME ASAP

Bikes: Mtb,Road,Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.hypnoticdesigns.com/

Picked one up this fall on sale.
Old 12-16-05, 11:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOVES my new Pearl Izumi Barrier jacket. HOWEVER, fit is snug racer fit. It's perfect if you're rec riding and wearing full on cyclng wear, but with jeans when commuting looks a little Michael Jacksoney. GOOD STUFF, it breathes but still keeps you warm. Blocks the wind where it needs to, breatheable where it needs to be. 18 deg out with a a light thermal top and a regular short sleeve jersey and I'm perfectly comfortable, no sweating; no chill. Also vented, highly reflective, zippered pockets. Now if if I can just get my hands and toes dialed in, methinks I'll look into some heavy duty ski gloves with flexibility - Cabelas, OR, Man***** etc. Fingers and toes are stinging after about an hour, current gloves + booties aren't quite warm enough for this range.
Old 12-17-05, 12:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polartec Powershield is simply the best material to make a jacket. Unfortunately the cost a mint at REI. Fortunately a Foxwear.net makes them for $80. Seriously, the evap is best jacket I've ever owned. AND it was custom made by Lou to my specific dimensions (I have a long torso and normal jackets don't past my waist). I doubt you will find a better deal anywhere else.
Old 12-17-05, 12:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that I live in Milwaukee. It was 2 degrees last week and I made it to school fine with my evap and a couple layers underneath.
Old 12-17-05, 12:43 AM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put me down for the cheap nylon windbreaker. Got one about 2 years ago for 20 bucks.

That and a full face ski mask and cheap gloves. When it gets really cold i just add a long sleeve shirt to my t-shirt beneath. Oh yeah and long underwear beneath my pants.

That right there is dirt cheap and good to about 0 degrees depending on the wind.
Old 12-17-05, 01:41 AM
Bike jocks ar still jocks

Bikes: 1970 peugeot PX-10 fixie, 2002 Team Fuji road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this jacket. It's a lot nicer than the nylon windbreaker I had before. Very windproof and has excellent ventilation. Although I live right near the Nike World HQ, and got it for $40 at the employee store... I have a few friends who work there.
Old 12-17-05, 07:09 AM

Bikes: vintage schwinn speedster, Soma Rush, Centurion Accordo fixie convertion, lotus eclair conversion, univega sport tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandonian
Although I live right near the Nike World HQ, and got it for $40 at the employee store... I have a few friends who work there.
yeah, i think i have some relatives that work for nike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
swooshtika.JPG (73.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by modmon; 12-17-05 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-17-05, 11:26 AM
switching to guns

Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ought to kick my own ass for not picking up that mammut aragon someone posted a couple weeks back when I went to the sierra site all they had was diarhea brown, then only diarhea brown in small, and then not at all...now google results show mostly overseas. no-one over here has 'em anymore.
Old 12-17-05, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fit24hrs
Polartec Powershield is simply the best material to make a jacket. Unfortunately the cost a mint at REI. Fortunately a Foxwear.net makes them for $80. Seriously, the evap is best jacket I've ever owned. AND it was custom made by Lou to my specific dimensions (I have a long torso and normal jackets don't past my waist). I doubt you will find a better deal anywhere else.
i want one. how long did it take to get one? do you have any pics of yours? thanx
Old 12-17-05, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, no pics. He has pics on his site. Only, mine is a grey-ish color and the zipper goes all the way down. Plus, the torso is longer on mine. More a like a midlegnth, rather than those bomber lenghts that everyone else makes. From the time I placed the order, I got the jacket in a week. Heck, you don't even send him payment until you get the jacket and are fully satisfied so you really have nothing to lose. May take longer now that he's really getting busy. I want another one in commuter yellow.
Old 12-17-05, 08:39 PM
Riding is Praying

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Fisher Tassajara, Indy Fab Crown Jewel; Titan NOS fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Toasty boy from ground effect is good. I layer it over a thermal wicking layer and a thin insulated jersey for the really cold days. https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products.php?category=WIN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.