Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When handbuilt steel meets modern carbon Campy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

When handbuilt steel meets modern carbon Campy

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 12:38 PM

Liked 4,677 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Not to knock the build but it looked to me like the builder used whatever he had on hand at the time, which would be that Campy crankset.
The bike could also be a couple of years old. I can see some ruffling of the (cheap) bar tape.

I also find that I can get Campy parts at less than half retail if I buy used, a couple of years old.

[MENTION=106212]canyoneagle[/MENTION] built up an older frame with modern Campy, and specifically chose the 5 bolt cranks over the "new" 4 bolt cranks, and I agree, the look came out very nice.

Retro-mod road bike project - Mixing new and classic

All of my building seems to be with 5 bolt cranksets, sometimes with the hidden bolt, sometimes without, depending on brand and model.
Old 01-30-19, 10:33 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 8,086 Times in 4,486 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Not to knock the build but it looked to me like the builder used whatever he had on hand at the time, which would be that Campy crankset.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The bike could also be a couple of years old. I can see some ruffling of the (cheap) bar tape.

I also find that I can get Campy parts at less than half retail if I buy used, a couple of years old.

[MENTION=106212]canyoneagle[/MENTION] built up an older frame with modern Campy, and specifically chose the 5 bolt cranks over the "new" 4 bolt cranks, and I agree, the look came out very nice.

Retro-mod road bike project - Mixing new and classic

All of my building seems to be with 5 bolt cranksets, sometimes with the hidden bolt, sometimes without, depending on brand and model.
The frame was built mid-2018. The frayed bar tape is because it now has 3000mi on it. The owner lent it for the day so it could be displayed at the show.
I remember seeing all the various bits in the shop during last winter waiting for the frame to be finished. The components were whatever the buyer wanted. I like the 5 arm look a lot.