Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim brake groupset availability in years to come?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rim brake groupset availability in years to come?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 04:52 PM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Liked 1,605 Times in 571 Posts
There is keeping your bike functional and then there is upgrading. I expect people will be able to keep rim brake bikes running for many years to come. But if you want to install whatever the latest and greatest is 10 years from now, the chances that it will be compatible with your frame in all aspects is probably not very good. Time and technology marches on. Obsolescence is a natural consequence.

Last edited by Ogsarg; 08-18-20 at 11:24 AM.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 08-18-20, 03:03 AM
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I think it's more related to the bike manufacturers. It's more expensive to make 2 versions of the same frame and some are already only offering disc versions. Now of sub $1000 bikes where both rim and disc are cable operated... you might still have a choice.

Kind of like trying to get a car with a manual transmission.
Tremec still makes the World Class T5 despite it being practically glass.Bikes with rim brakes will continue to exist. I'm picturing some post apocalyptic world where some guy riding the last World Tourist is searching for the mythical stash of Hyper BMX bikes for a set of side-pulls.
Old 08-18-20, 08:37 AM

Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
I'd be surprised if Shimano ever stopped making rim brakes (and cable levers) entirely. You can buy a brand new 105 cantilever brake set. When is the last time you saw these spec'ed on a new bike? https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/BR-CX50.html

As others have noted, my bigger concern would be wheelsets/rims and increasing tire widths. I'm sure rim brake wheels will be around for a while, but the latest carbon wiz bang aero wheelsets will probably be disc only.

I will also be surprised if Shimano makes rim brake versions of Ultegra and DA in the near future, regardless of what pros are doing at the moment. Look at top tier offerings from Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, etc and it's very difficult to find a complete bike with anything above a 105 spec level in rim brake form. 6.8kg disc aero bikes seem like the future for pro racing, even if some manufacturers aren't getting there as fast as others.