Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Southern Arizona - Group Ride

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Southern Arizona - Group Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 08:39 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Hang in there wng.

The box will be worth your while when she shows.

In the meantime, ride the daylights out of DD's Super for me.

That's one sweet ride and your Bianchi will be a treat as well.
Thanks Grady!!

I'm looking forward to riding that Super. My first Colnago ride, actually my first Italian ride. It'll be like a date with Monica Bellucci. I will even break out a new pair of riding shorts for the occasion.
Old 12-24-12, 08:49 AM

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Isn't the Bianchi Italian, or am I missing something?
Old 12-24-12, 08:51 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

My Bianchi Premio is a Taiwanese-made model. So, it doesn't count.
Old 12-24-12, 09:00 AM

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification! Still a great looking bike though. Love those Suntour DT shifters (I'm a big Suntour fan!).
Old 12-24-12, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
This

I've been off the bike for a month. At my age (!) that's a lot of down-time. Plus, it's the holidays and we're all stuffing our faces But, really, how many times are we going to get the chance to get a lot of C&V guys on a ride? I think conversational would be the order of the day!

Save the gut-busting stuff for another day - or the Road Forum

My .02

DD
+1!

Also, I think what's missing in this discussion is the question of where we are going to eat and drink after our ride to celebrate our heroic efforts and send DD off in style! In Italy (from what I'm told) they mix their riding with the finer things in life, like al fresco lunches with excellent cheeses, cured meats, and wine.

Just down the street from where I live we have a little place called Pane Bianco https://www.pizzeriabianco.com/ that serves up the most amazing Italian style sandwiches (the Soppressata with Aged Provelone and Roasted Peppers is to die for!). I'm willing to host a post ride luncheon on the lawn in my backyard under the old pecan tree. Theres lot's of space out there for the bikes to be in a secure environment without locks. We could order up some Pane Bianco and have it ready for the after ride party. I'll provide the liquid refreshments.

This would work best if we started and finished the loop I call "Heart of Phoenix" at my place (hint: its mile 0 on the map previously posted). Also, there is a light rail station nearby if any of you live near light rail and want to avoid using car racks.

Not trying to hard sell this, I'm absolutely open to other suggestions (The Farm in South Phoenix is another option I just thought of). There are also great places for a post ride get together in Carefree/Cave Creek. And be aware, the Heart of Phoenix loop is a more urban ride with the exception of the part that goes through Dreamy Draw. I love the foothills rides through scenic desert country as much as the next guy and would be happy to do that also. It's all good!
Old 12-24-12, 10:15 AM
Banned.

Liked 4,830 Times in 1,709 Posts
So far, I count three votes for relaxed and easy (whew!)

I also like the idea of grubbing/drinking a little after the ride. I think I can get close to my mom's place with light rail, but I'll be bringing the '78 Super for Will, so I'll have to drive. Maybe if I have an hour or so to let my glass of wine settle, that'll work for me and I'll drive to the jumping-off point with the bikes on the roof rack.

I think a couple phone calls are in order to get the planning started in earnest. What say we begin hard planning on the 26th after everyone's enjoyed Christmas with their respective families? By then, most of us will probably want to be on to other things

DD
Old 12-24-12, 10:17 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Saguaro
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification! Still a great looking bike though. Love those Suntour DT shifters (I'm a big Suntour fan!).
+ 1000

Will, I can't believe you got that bike for $50; Taiwanese or no, it's in fantastic shape and will no doubt serve you well as you re-build the collection

DD
Old 12-24-12, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as a post ride lunch stop there is a great little place with outdoor seating, wine, cheese, espresso, sandwiches and all kinds of good stuff. It's called 32 Shea which is at, you guessed it 32nd street and Shea which is at about mile 9 on the previous map. This would be a good place to park our bikes and be able to keep our eyes on them too. This could be a good starting place also, plenty of parking.

One of my PV loops

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/2...45zq7gg.mailto

Last edited by cbresciani; 12-24-12 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 11:58 AM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm glad you guys are pitching the "let's not lock up our bikes" restaurants/areas to eat. I will most likely be bringing my LOOK, and that baby does not get locked up.

Saguaro, that sandwich description made my mouth water
Old 12-24-12, 12:01 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just got on my bike after about a month off yesterday.

Either my conditioning went down the crapper, or I was really dehydrated.
Long story short, relaxed ride gets my vote.
Old 12-24-12, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cbresciani
As far as a post ride lunch stop there is a great little place with outdoor seating, wine, cheese, espresso, sandwiches and all kinds of good stuff. It's called 32 Shea which is at, you guessed it 32nd street and Shea which is at about mile 9 on the previous map. This would be a good place to park our bikes and be able to keep our eyes on them too. This could be a good starting place also, plenty of parking.

One of my PV loops

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/2...45zq7gg.mailto
That looks like a great ride Chris! I'd be all over that. And 32 Shea sounds great also. I'd just ride to the meet-up at 32 Shea from home and add 18 miles to the distance (about 48 miles total).

I'm logging off and heading up the hill to Prescott with the family for the holiday. I'll catch you all later. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-12, 12:45 PM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
A group ride in January? Cmon man, who ever heard of such a thing?

Oh, oh, your in Arizona you say... Yeah, still really warm there, huh? Great for riding, eh? Ummm, well I'll leave now...sorry for bothering you lucky dogs!!!

Enjoy fellas...
Old 12-24-12, 12:46 PM
Banned.

32 Shea would also work for me - Will? How's that sound?

Oh, and + bazillion on the lock-up comments: I do not lock up any of my bikes (except to the roof rack, and even then I can see them through the moonroof ) and they're always within touching distance, you know?

Across the board (except for holding you guys up attempting to summit South Mountain), I'm flexible on the locations/times. Y'all have my digits

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-25-12 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 05:11 PM
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were in Arizona still, I'd suggest you guys head south and ride Mt Lemon, but then again it is winter and it probably has snow now.
Old 12-24-12, 05:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
If I were in Arizona still, I'd suggest you guys head south and ride Mt Lemon, but then again it is winter and it probably has snow now.
Yes it does.
Old 12-24-12, 05:36 PM
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One would be remiss not to have climbed their racing bike up the slightest of hills to see this while they were here for a short visit.

Old 12-24-12, 10:33 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

I'm game for any ride route and anywhere in the Valley. I'll drive to the meeting point. I'm in East Mesa...and the closest road riding is Usery Pass. But it's mostly climbing.

I hear Pizzeria Bianco is the best pizza in town. And there's usually a long wait for a table.
Old 12-24-12, 11:32 PM

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner2012
One would be remiss not to have climbed their racing bike up the slightest of hills to see this while they were here for a short visit.

i know exactly where you were when you took this picture.
Old 12-30-12, 06:45 PM

So, what's the plan? Let's set a date at least.
Old 12-30-12, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by KvltBryce
I'm glad you guys are pitching the "let's not lock up our bikes" restaurants/areas to eat. I will most likely be bringing my LOOK, and that baby does not get locked up.

Saguaro, that sandwich description made my mouth water
Old 12-30-12, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by WNG

I hear Pizzeria Bianco is the best pizza in town. And there's usually a long wait for a table.
Pizzeria Bianco is the best pizza in Phoenix, period. And there is a wait for a table but its worth the wait (hint, go to the wine bar next door to pass the time!).

Pane Bianco is a spin off of Pizzeria Bianco and is their take-out outlet - no wait. No pizza either, but their sandwiches are great.
Old 01-01-13, 03:56 PM
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A 45 minute wait (at best) kills Bianco for me (yes, I've waited there before). There are other very good pizza places in PHX, but I digress...

After a coolish few days we are heading to downright great riding weather. I am wondering if any progress has been made on a time and location? 32Shea sounds very doable as a start/finish point. I'm not crazy about avoiding every good road in the area, but can see bits of Saguaro's route incorporated. I strongly fel that if you are riding in PHX, you NEED to ride some of the hills of PV. There's a reason rich people live there. The cycling is great, roads are smooth, and drivers are cyclist aware. Hard climbs can be avoided for those who wish to skip them, and the rest of us can sprint for beers to the top. There is always a way to skip a climb and meet up after. DD should ride up both Mummy and Camelback, at least the easy way, just for the views.

So what's the deal?
Old 01-01-13, 04:21 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

I think the gathering will slowly trickle in after the holiday. Irvri informed me he's out of town till Wed.

Pane Bianco sounds good to me! As for climbs, if there's an easy way up, I'll attempt it. I know the views from the top are worth the effort.
Old 01-01-13, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure where Pane Bianco is but at 32 Shea there is outdoor seating and our bikes can be at our table! I would agree about riding in PV, great roads very little traffic, great views and easy or hard climbs you can decide which ones to take. Either Saturday or Sunday would work for me and I can ride Friday too.
Old 01-01-13, 07:13 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

I was just commenting on Pane Bianco's food offerings, I'm a fanatic for good Italian sandwiches.
But 32 Shea sounds to be the best logistically and rest/food location for a potential PV area ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.