Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Is saturated fat dangerous?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Is saturated fat dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 09:58 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,494 Times in 6,391 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
And in general, it's a bad idea to get your nutrition and medical information from youtubers. Just sayin.
Reading is not fashionable, I know.
Right! Do like the rest of us do - get your nutrition and medical information from strangers on internet forums.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-27-24, 10:01 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by RChung
Back when I was a grad student, the then-chair of the department, a member of the NAS, used to remind us, "Argumentum ad hominem is, 'Your argument is trash because you're a dick,' it's not 'Your argument is trash because of these following reasons, and by the way, you're a dick.'" This is an example of something else entirely: "your argument is okay but you're a dick."
Ad Hominem: "Your argument is bad because you're an idiot."

Not Ad Hominem: "You're an idiot because your argument is bad."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-24, 04:23 PM

Liked 519 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by kinnessa60
The debate surrounding the risks of saturated fat continues. Although it has the potential to raise LDL cholesterol and increase the risk of heart disease, it's important to remember that moderation is crucial. To maintain a healthy heart, it's essential to balance your diet with unsaturated fats, as well as incorporate plenty of fruits and vegetables.
There is a huge debate going on right now between accredited experts as to the role of LDL cholesterol. While it is found in arterial build up, the debate is whether it is acting as an arsonist, or as a fireman.
Old 05-29-24, 12:39 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,036 Times in 3,464 Posts
There is almost always debate going on among the experts. It's when there isn't any debate by the experts that we have to fear something has been overlooked.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-31-24, 02:17 AM

Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
No need to personally attack anyone who has no way to defend your allegations which have zero to do with the subject. Berry also discusses much more about the topic than just the analysis you mention. I guess though it's always acceptable to shoot the messenger if you don't like the message.
I guess you also support Dr. Berg whose own kid talks about what a lunatic and charlatan he is.
Old 05-31-24, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01
There is almost always debate going on among the experts. It's when there isn't any debate by the experts that we have to fear something has been overlooked.
I wouldn't call people grifting online a debate.
Old 05-31-24, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I wouldn't call people grifting online a debate.
If your intention was a debate, you would post some evidence that refutes the studies Berry is citing rather than going for the personal attack.
Old 05-31-24, 11:14 AM

If your intention was a debate, you would post some evidence that refutes the studies Berry is citing rather than going for the personal attack.
What personal attack? Is calling a grifter a grifter a "personal attack"? Is that all you can do? You've accused pretty much everyone in this thread of this and have been refuted thoroughly.

My intention was not a debate though, because as I said, this isn't a debate.
Old 05-31-24, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
What personal attack? Is calling a grifter a grifter a "personal attack"? Is that all you can do? You've accused pretty much everyone in this thread of this and have been refuted thoroughly.

My intention was not a debate though, because as I said, this isn't a debate.
Yes, you attacked Berry, then added slight toward me that I might also endorse someone else you personally attacked as being despicable. What you haven't done is to speak to any studies we might try to glean some information from and then discuss the different points of who is right and why. That would be a discussion. You didn't want to do that either because the whole idea that saturated fat may not be bad for you seems preposterous to you, or you despise at least 2 internet personalities so thoroughly that you can't even discuss the research that they are introducing to the conversation.

But as you said you never wanted a debate in the first place. You chose insults and personal attacks instead.
Old 05-31-24, 07:30 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,006 Times in 1,425 Posts
Seems like rather than argue about a person, we might do better to discuss studies and their pluses and minuses. After some online fooling around, I found what seems to me like a decent start at trying to figure out what all the noise is about. Some time ago, I noticed the change from saying, "drink skim milk" to "drink whole milk" and I switched, not that it means anything, just that I noticed a change in the message. Anyway, this seemed to me like a good entry point into the science involved, although it's now a whole year out of date and a year in science is now a long time:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-saturated-fat
Old 06-01-24, 05:52 AM

Yes, you attacked Berry, then added slight toward me that I might also endorse someone else you personally attacked as being despicable. What you haven't done is to speak to any studies we might try to glean some information from and then discuss the different points of who is right and why. That would be a discussion. You didn't want to do that either because the whole idea that saturated fat may not be bad for you seems preposterous to you, or you despise at least 2 internet personalities so thoroughly that you can't even discuss the research that they are introducing to the conversation.

But as you said you never wanted a debate in the first place. You chose insults and personal attacks instead.
Again, is calling a grifter a grifter a "personal attack"? Why can you not answer a simple question?

Dr. Berg is a quack, even his own child has come out to say this, you are free to research that. That is not ad hominem. Yes, I implied you are the kind of human being that falls for conspiracies. Am I wrong? Do you not tend to side with YouTube quacks that make money off of people like you? Where is the attack here? It's just stating facts.

The same way I don't need to debate theists I don't need to debate two online grifters. Yes. You got that right.

As to saturated fats, I eat eggs and dairy. They have saturated fats. I believe meat and especially processed meat is the real culprit. Doesn't change anything about the two YouTube 'doctors' being hacks and grifters and not worthy of being taken seriously.
Old 06-01-24, 12:34 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,847 Times in 1,909 Posts
Why do nutrition threads tend to produce heated arguments, while training threads not so much?

I can call San Milan's zone 2 advice stupid and get barely a harumph in reply.

Old 06-01-24, 01:57 PM
Perceptual Dullard

Liked 1,235 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Why do nutrition threads tend to produce heated arguments, while training threads not so much?

I think it's cuz we are what we eat so criticizing how or what one eats is pretty personal.

Years ago on their first trip to a foreign country I warned my kids that they'd see many wondrous, beautiful, and appalling things, chief among them the food. I said they needn't eat everything offered to them but, under no circumstances were they allowed to make faces or hold their noses or feign gagging. Then, because I'm a practical parent, I added, "when others can see you."
Old 06-02-24, 12:00 PM

Because one is about health the other about training.
Old 06-02-24, 03:20 PM

Liked 900 Times in 446 Posts
It saturated fat dangerous? Who knows? Pretty much every study on diet going back 60 years has been at least partially debunked. From what I can gather in my experience with different diets and fitness routines, the foods most toxic to my health are sugar, and wheat/rice based food products. I eat lots of meat and fish, lots of vegetables, a little fruit, and an occasional beer. These keep me lean, reasonably sharp, and give me enough energy to get through long rides.

I have no idea who Berry is, but even a stopped clock is right twice per day.
Old 06-03-24, 12:45 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,036 Times in 3,464 Posts
Maybe because nutrition needs while cycling seem to get morphed into overall nutrition needs. Some seem to think that nutrition used on that 1 - 3 hour ride will destroy the nutrition plan for overall health.
Old 06-03-24, 12:52 PM

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
It's more balanced and informative than this sleazebag who has been disciplined by the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners on two occasions for false advertising and dangerous practices. He also got an employer successfully sued for failing to stop him from sexually harassing cleaning staff, and may have hired arsonists to burn down his own, heavily tax-liened, clinic.
But besides that, will he take my Blue Choice HMO? (:
Likes For goose70:
Old 06-03-24, 02:34 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-04-24, 07:09 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,555 Times in 1,504 Posts

Old 06-07-24, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01
Maybe because nutrition needs while cycling seem to get morphed into overall nutrition needs. Some seem to think that nutrition used on that 1 - 3 hour ride will destroy the nutrition plan for overall health.
Well, it might, or it might not. It would if that sugar caused higher sustained triglycerides levels, or a higher fasted insulin level and glucose levels. That can happen even if you are skinny as a pro rider.