Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anybody ride with a road id bracelet??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anybody ride with a road id bracelet??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 08:25 AM
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by InfiniteRegress
Personally, I think that even if you don't have any serious medical problems, MedicAlert is a good idea. As someone mentioned, MedicAlert is universally recognized by EMTs, so I think it stands out more than a RoadID.
Well, since they're going to check for medic alert anyway, dog tags should work perfectly well.
Old 01-02-09, 08:38 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No reason you can't have both dog tags and a road id if you already have one. Mine was a gift but I think the dog tags would work nicely.
When I was hit I actually flew out of my shoes. I am not entirely sure the shoe solution would work well.
Old 01-02-09, 08:49 AM
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My Road ID *IS* dog tags.

I was just looking online, and ISTM that actual animal tags could work really well. They have a lot of options under 10 bucks for tags that go onto collars and such - one of those around the ankle, maybe even with a reflective collar, would be a good option I think.
Old 01-02-09, 09:02 AM
Electro-Forged

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeneas
I never ride without mine. Many times I ride with my wallet in my pannier which would be left at a crash site or with the cops, not the paramedics, if something were to happen. It may not be much but at least it is some identification with contact info, and it is absolutely better than not having any ID on you.
The one time I ended up in an ambulance, the paramedics did bring my trunk bag along for the ride, which had my wallet and cell phone. That was lucky, because I had no ID on my person and was barely coherent. I lost my RoadID before my tumble (I have since reordered and wear one just about every time I ride).
Old 01-02-09, 09:14 AM
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine makes real dog tags to carry with him. PetSmart and most other chain pet stores have engraving machines in the store that you can use. He made up two; one tag with his personal information on it and another with emergency contact info. Costs around $5/tag. He opted for the bone and fire hydrant shapes, but they also have heart and circle-shaped tags if you're not feeling like a dog
Old 01-02-09, 09:22 AM
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden with one for about three years now. I wear it most of the time, especially when I'm out of town or on the road somewhere, with or without my bike.
Old 01-02-09, 09:27 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Unless you have significant medical issues, a simple, cheap dog tag will do the job. Available online or locally from lots and lots of places.
I constantly wear a dog tag hanging around my neck with name, address, phone and ICE phone.
I often ride without any other ID, other than a cell phone, which has ICE programmed into it.

I like the idea of a bone or fire hydrant tag......maybe I'll run over to PetSmart later.
Old 01-02-09, 09:34 AM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i have had a wrist RoadID for some time now. i am bit unimpressed with the quality though. i sent the first one back as the metal plate was discoloring, maybe from sweat, making some of the info unreadable. their customer service was excellent, but i am seeing the same thing on the replacement too. later.
Old 01-02-09, 09:42 AM
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Unless you have significant medical issues, a simple, cheap dog tag will do the job. Available online or locally from lots and lots of places.
I constantly wear a dog tag hanging around my neck with name, address, phone and ICE phone.
I often ride without any other ID, other than a cell phone, which has ICE programmed into it.

I like the idea of a bone or fire hydrant tag......maybe I'll run over to PetSmart later.
The only thing nice about MedicAlert and probably even the interactive RoadID system, is that you can store lots of information that EMTs and hospital personnel will need access to (insurance information, for example). In addition, you can have multiple emergency contacts. What if your primary contact is unavailable? When in college, my mom was my primary contact. Unfortunately, it was discovered once during an emergency in which i was taken to the hospital that she had an annoying habit of turning off her cell phone at the most inopportune times.
Old 01-02-09, 10:01 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by InfiniteRegress
The only thing nice about MedicAlert and probably even the interactive RoadID system, is that you can store lots of information that EMTs and hospital personnel will need access to (insurance information, for example). In addition, you can have multiple emergency contacts. What if your primary contact is unavailable? When in college, my mom was my primary contact. Unfortunately, it was discovered once during an emergency in which i was taken to the hospital that she had an annoying habit of turning off her cell phone at the most inopportune times.
In an emergency, what's most important is that they know who you are.
More than one ICE could be put on a dog tag.
Again, if you have significant very important medical issues, get fancier and more expensive with your ID.

Just don't be ridin' around like an ID-less Ninja Biker.
Old 01-02-09, 10:02 AM
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad I happened on this thread. I've needed to have something like this for years, but never got around to it. I just corrected that and ordered one. Commuting 18 miles a day exposes me to a lot more risk than I've had in the past.

I have three different numbers for my wife. I thought about putting my dad on there, but like InfiniteRegress's mom, my dad rarely has his cell phone turned on. So I put my brother-in-law on instead (his is never off).

I'm not sure if this will make my wife feel better or more worried?
Old 01-02-09, 10:03 AM

Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear one. I travel a lot and take my bike(s) with me, so that means solo miles. It gives loved ones peace of mind knowing that I do. Also, an ER and paramedic friend likes them, so that sold me on it.
Old 01-02-09, 10:08 AM
Infinite Regress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Just don't be ridin' around like an ID-less Ninja Biker.
Yep, regardless of what you use, that's the most important thing to remember!
Old 01-02-09, 10:19 AM
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

I was just looking online, and ISTM that actual animal tags could work really well. They have a lot of options under 10 bucks for tags that go onto collars and such - one of those around the ankle, maybe even with a reflective collar, would be a good option I think.
Yeah, I've been thinking of going that way - just go to Petsmart or wherever and they have a machine that engraves them. You can put in anything you like.
Old 01-02-09, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear one. I prefer not to ride with my wallet or license. Last year I took my wallet on a ride, dropped out of vest and before I returned from my ride somebody was charging sneaks at Foot Locker. I wear the bracelet when I bike or run.
Old 01-02-09, 11:20 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I wear a road ID dog tag. Honestly, if I were doing it again, I'd just buy cheap-ass dogtags online. You can get them for about 5 bucks. Sure, the Road IDs look real pretty, with their acid-etched letters on shiny tags, but for functionality I bet a regular old stamped dog tag works even better.
That's why I went with the Boomerang tags. They call them "man tags" for us humans, and give you way more space for information at $9.99 than you can get on a tag at Petsmart.
Old 01-02-09, 11:26 AM
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL - I like how they have Bo Diddley's tags on their site. I don't think that's any more room than Petsmart dog tags, however. That'd be a good place to order if you live in the sticks, however. A year or so I saw them on ebay dirt cheap - engraved, with rubber edge guards and everything for lile $7. Can't find the listing now, however.

edit: OIC - they are engraved both sides. That does give a lot of room......

edit 2: however, however, however, however.....LOL
Old 01-02-09, 11:29 AM
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the wrist one and just leave it on all the time, that way I won't forget it and I'm not even aware of it being there.

I never carry a wallet when I ride and as my blood type is the rarest I didn't think twice about getting one.
Old 01-02-09, 11:41 AM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd been thinking about one for years, it's a great idea. I just ordered one after reading this thread. . Although I always carry ID on my commutes, it's usually buried deep in my backpack, I think it's unlikely the EMT's would be able to find it. I decided on a yellow bracelet as: 1) I want it to be visible and, 2) I'll probably just leave it on and wear it all the time-it looks pretty cool. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 01-02-09, 12:07 PM
Dirty old man in training

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 1991 Raleigh Olympian, 1988 Nishiki Ariel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one as well. In the meantime I carry an expired driver's license (with current address) and insurance card on my person (in a jersey pocket or in MTB shorts pocket). I typed out the info Road ID suggests (emergency contacts, blood type, organ donor, NKA, NKDA) on a small piece of paper and taped it to the back of the license.
Old 01-02-09, 12:17 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So?
Old 01-02-09, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the interactive dogtag version. The online portal has spaces for all the info0rmation that EMS and the ER would need- emergency contacts, allergies, Rx info, etc.- basically your entire medical history can be added quickly and easily. I wear mine all the time, with a bright silencer (rubber band thingy)around it to make it even more visible than it is just by itself.
Old 01-02-09, 04:51 PM

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I made a Emergency contact card that I keep in my wallet. It has phone numbers and my current address on it. I did it on the computer and laminated it.
Old 01-02-09, 06:12 PM
eay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the ankle version. I also wear it when hiking.
I gave one to my stepson who runs.
Old 01-02-09, 06:35 PM

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the wristband one and I've had one for a year or more. They do rust a bit, but I'd still buy it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.