Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

deep race carbon race wheels....brand name or boyd,williams or psimet

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

deep race carbon race wheels....brand name or boyd,williams or psimet

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
The old Zipp rims (440, 340 - I had multiple sets of each and I have a 440 front still in inventory) tended to split in half. You'd lose spoke tension in 2-3 spokes at one time. They had a max spoke tension that was so loose as to be ridiculous, so most riders cranked them down. If the rim split, it split. If it didn't then you had one of the good ones. I checked some pros' wheels and they were wound up so tight it scared me, but it illustrated to me that it's possible.
Old 04-13-12, 02:28 PM
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallguy
so my question is are zipps and HED really worth the extra ?
Yes. No. Maybe. Could be. Maybe not. Probably. Probably not. Absolutely. Absolutely not. Short of getting in your head and walking around for a month or two I have no idea. Neither does anyone else. "Worth" is entirely subjective.

----------------------

I found the old Zipp rims to be very fragile compared to anything else I've owned. I'd be much more inclined to go either older Reynolds or a non-Zipp build of some sort if you're value shopping. Older Eastons weren't very good from what I saw, the new ones seem to be much improved though you're dealing with a proprietary spoke system and their warranty coverage seems to generate a lot of complaints.

Can give thumbs up to the HED Stingers, though avoid the first year Stinger 4's if you want something stiff.

Generally the proprietary brands do put a lot of R & D into the wheel; you tend to also get a proprietary hub or with Reynolds a top end DT. They will be a fair bit lighter for the same rim depth, slightly better aerodynamic performance.
Old 04-13-12, 03:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Yes. No. Maybe. Could be. Maybe not. Probably. Probably not. Absolutely. Absolutely not. Short of getting in your head and walking around for a month or two I have no idea. Neither does anyone else. "Worth" is entirely subjective.

----------------------

I found the old Zipp rims to be very fragile compared to anything else I've owned. I'd be much more inclined to go either older Reynolds or a non-Zipp build of some sort if you're value shopping. Older Eastons weren't very good from what I saw, the new ones seem to be much improved though you're dealing with a proprietary spoke system and their warranty coverage seems to generate a lot of complaints.

Can give thumbs up to the HED Stingers, though avoid the first year Stinger 4's if you want something stiff.

Generally the proprietary brands do put a lot of R & D into the wheel; you tend to also get a proprietary hub or with Reynolds a top end DT. They will be a fair bit lighter for the same rim depth, slightly better aerodynamic performance.
I think the real question is what is the right bike/wheel/tire combo. Obviously depending on type of race too. These 1t4i guys found wider 25 tires more aero during the winter aero tunnel testing in San Diego.

Old 04-13-12, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for November. I've been riding their frame for a year and have no complaints. Have a set of their 50mm tubies waiting to have the glue scraped off then reglued, thinking of adding a set of their clinchers shortly (they're moving to 23mm wide rims for their 38 carbon clinchers in May if that's of interest).

I'm pretty certain they get their rims from the same manufacturer as Williams, Boyd, etc. Different than Psimet's rims.

Originally Posted by ks1g
I'll mention another non-name-brand vendor (local for me and I am very happy with their bike offering, just no 1st-hand experience with their carbon wheels) - November Bicycles. https://www.novemberbicycles.com/ (I don't know where they get their carbon rims - for all I know, they get their rims from the same place psimet does.)
Old 04-14-12, 07:27 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,555 Times in 1,504 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
One thing I don't like about the Easton and Reynolds tubular wheels is that the spoke nipples are hidden, which means that you have to remove the tire to touch up the true on the wheel. Has that been an issue for you?
I like exposed or partially veiled nipples. With respect to wheels and Easons, it has not been a problem since the Eastons have not required truing.
Old 04-19-12, 10:34 AM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,311 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by ijgoodwin
+1 for November. I've been riding their frame for a year and have no complaints. Have a set of their 50mm tubies waiting to have the glue scraped off then reglued, thinking of adding a set of their clinchers shortly (they're moving to 23mm wide rims for their 38 carbon clinchers in May if that's of interest).

I'm pretty certain they get their rims from the same manufacturer as Williams, Boyd, etc. Different than Psimet's rims.
Nope....

LKisten guys - there's a lot of manufacturers out there making good rims. The beauty of my arrangement is that I am not locked down to any 1 manufacturer. I don't brand my stuff - trying to pass it off as though I have a plant of my own. I tell you who made it, for the most part. I can only believe that you thought they were different because you must have seen some older rims. I used to source from Gigantex....same as Token, Neuvation, Cole, HED, etc. I am no longer using them. I have found a different rim manufacturer. These are all open molds. This means that anyone who wants to can put in an order for rims made off of that mold. It is owned by the factory - not the company who commissioned it.

What I am using right now looks eerily similar to everyone else that has been mentioned. It's because they work.

I personally make a small number of wheels. Each and every single one goes through my hands personally. I am a rider, racer, enthusiast. I might build with the same "rim" that a lot of people use, but my reputation is on each and every single one. I know other builders here feel the same way.

1. There is a review coming up in a large US publication that will compare 50-60mm tubulars seen as "value" tubular wheels to all of the big names out there using a lot of lab data to show the exact difference....not to mention the 1/2 to 1/3 price. November, Soul, Boyd, and myself all fall into this category....how do I know? Let's just say I have a horse in this race.
2. Personally I am opening my own mold for cross season this fall. Sending the wire within a day or two. It will not be an open mold. There will be features that define it specifically as a PSIMET rim. Do you think that will stop threads on here from claiming - "oh that's just some generic 'Chinese' rim"? No, it won't.

I find that people in this market are educated and usually middle to upper middle class. Very few are the "just do it for me" type you find in triathlons (for example). All seem to have this affinity for wanting to somehow "find out the truth" about products as though there is some sort of secret in the cycling industry, or that they are being "dupped" in some way - being played for a sucker, or that this industry does something every single other industry in the world DOESN'T do. Well...if you feel this way - here's your reward. Feel better? Now....the wheels are still the same as they were and the prices haven't changed. Which do you want?

Old 04-19-12, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your response I was hoping you'd respond

I sent you a quote request today hopefully you see this before my aluminum tubular request I sent previously.

I have a set of your rims already and love them you build a great rim.
Old 04-19-12, 11:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
2. Personally I am opening my own mold for cross season this fall.
When it's possible to do so I'd like to hear how you went about designing it, what the design tradeoffs are, etc. Also how the process works, and how you keep the mold private.
Old 04-19-12, 12:04 PM
I eat carbide.

Got it. Busy as shiz....will reply today.

Old 04-19-12, 12:06 PM
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by ericm979
When it's possible to do so I'd like to hear how you went about designing it, what the design tradeoffs are, etc. Also how the process works, and how you keep the mold private.
I knew what I wanted in the final shape. Layup, etc is up to the manufacturing plant because they have the knowledge and experience and they warranty the product. You can try to keep anything private with $$. At the end of the day though....it's not here so I can't personally watch it.

Old 04-19-12, 12:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries.... I know your a busy guy but your products are great.
Old 04-19-12, 11:08 PM
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...Personally I am opening my own mold for cross season this fall. Sending the wire within a day or two. It will not be an open mold. There will be features that define it specifically as a PSIMET rim.
I've been waiting for this, and am very excited for you - in fact, I was just thinking about this while riding to work yesterday.
I'll probably be in touch about the rims
Old 04-20-12, 05:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I was going off the info I had from when I was thinking about ordering some rims from you a while back. Wasn't intending to spread misinformation. I've got nothing but good things to say about any of the Taiwan open mold rims that I've seen and ridden, be it Gigantex or any other, although it seems like Gigantex is a fair bit heavier than others. Was that part of your consideration in moving away from them? Just curious.

Nope....

LKisten guys - there's a lot of manufacturers out there making good rims. The beauty of my arrangement is that I am not locked down to any 1 manufacturer. I don't brand my stuff - trying to pass it off as though I have a plant of my own. I tell you who made it, for the most part. I can only believe that you thought they were different because you must have seen some older rims. I used to source from Gigantex....same as Token, Neuvation, Cole, HED, etc. I am no longer using them. I have found a different rim manufacturer. These are all open molds. This means that anyone who wants to can put in an order for rims made off of that mold. It is owned by the factory - not the company who commissioned it.