Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do You Favor Mandatory-Helmet Laws?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Do you favor mandatory-helmet laws (for adults)?
Yes.
14.47%
No: I favor helmets, but not laws requiring people to wear them.
69.81%
No: I'm against the use of helmets.
15.72%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Favor Mandatory-Helmet Laws?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 05:14 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Actually I voted no. But, not sure I meant it.. I tend to respect the wishes of those who don't want to wear helmets.. But, deep down do I.?..
I once recall the comments of some police testifying about the needs for a motorcycle helmet law.. Their argument.. I am the one who has to pick up body parts on the road. And to have one's head intact makes clean up easier.. I can see his point. !.
While I have some Libertarian values, I'd be squeamish to ride with cycle friends on a regular basis if they consistently did not wear a helmet. It might be my job to move their broken body parts off of the road.. Besides, I think helmets are cool.
Motorcycles are a hell of a lot faster and more dangerous (to both the rider and others) than bicycles.
Old 10-13-09, 05:18 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I had a freak fall once.. Hit my head on a concrete curb. A direct hit right on my left temple.. It ached a bit, sans helmet- I bet it might have taken me to ER.. We all tend to make our own decisions based on our own experiences..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-13-09, 05:22 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
Good luck with this! You've hit the most sensitive nerve in cycling, motorized and non-motorized. As much as I'd like to say that it is a matter of individual choice, it's not. The increased injury, morbidity and mortality rates which result from not wearing helmets affects everybody who pays insurance premiums, whether auto or property owner's. It is not a question of anybody's choice of personal safety. That is my stance, I will make no other contribution to this thread.
What a bunch of utter BS. You should have included a warning with your response:

WARNING, HORSEPUCKY ZONE, GOT HIP BOOTS?
Old 10-13-09, 05:27 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Btw. while I sure most/all people in this thread and in general in these forums talking about the pros and cons of wearing helmets while cycling are well-meaning, I am convinced that mandatory helmet laws often have the intent of getting cyclists off the road and of punishing cyclists for bothering car-drivers.
Old 10-13-09, 05:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
What a freaking rigged poll. A simple 'NO' choice would have been nice.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 10-13-09, 08:28 AM
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck with this! You've hit the most sensitive nerve in cycling, motorized and non-motorized. As much as I'd like to say that it is a matter of individual choice, it's not. The increased injury, morbidity and mortality rates which result from not wearing helmets affects everybody who pays insurance premiums, whether auto or property owner's. It is not a question of anybody's choice of personal safety. That is my stance, I will make no other contribution to this thread.
Runners/Joggers who are hit by autos die at higher ratios than do cyclists. I don't have the stats at my findertips but would you also suggest the weekend joggers wear helmets too? that our collective health care burden be lowered? And where does this kind of thinking stop? If you really want to get behind some good "save the children" legislation, why not require four-point race car type belts in cars along with full-face racing helmets too. Now that would make one hell of a dent in car accident health care expenses.Ya, I I'm all for that!
Old 10-13-09, 09:34 AM
NYC

Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
The only mandatory use law I'm in favor of involves the mandatory use of gags and sadistic torture devices on zealots who presume to tell other people how to live their own lives.
Old 10-13-09, 09:40 AM
thompsonpost

I really don't give a rip about laws either way. I wear a helmet, and laws have 0 to do with my decision.

Old 10-13-09, 09:50 AM
NYC

Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Bull****.

If you wanted to fix the economic impact of such ill advised activity, you would do so by supporting legislation that requires insurers to write exceptions and modifications into the health insurance policies, and by legally requiring insurers to offer policies priced both with and without the restrictions, with both option being ACTUARIALLY PRICED (as opposed to punitatively pricing).

But that's not what you REALLY want. What you really want is to be able to tell other people what risks YOU find to acceptable in THEIR lives. And to that I say.... bleep bleep bleep yourself you bleep bleep bleep bleep because I don't intend to live MY live in the cocoon of YOUR choice.
Old 10-13-09, 09:53 AM
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Liked 48 Times in 42 Posts
..... As much as I'd like to say that it is a matter of individual choice, it's not. The increased injury, morbidity and mortality rates which result from not wearing helmets affects everybody who pays insurance premiums, whether auto or property owner's. .......
True, but those extra costs from non-helmet wearers could be passed in the form of higher premiums or lower payouts (or both) to folks who don't have a helmet on in an accident. Its no different than giving a discount on homeowners for those who install smoke detectors, motion detectors, etc.

I would never support a 'mandatory law' on anything which is as individualized as the helmet issue.

roughstuff
Old 10-13-09, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted "no". I think it should be left up to the individual.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 10-13-09, 10:01 AM

Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
This is the price to pay for public health services; if the community foots the bill they should have a say in preventing unnecessary accidents.
Old 10-13-09, 10:27 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
..... As much as I'd like to say that it is a matter of individual choice, it's not. The increased injury, morbidity and mortality rates which result from not wearing helmets affects everybody who pays insurance premiums, whether auto or property owner's. .......
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
True, but those extra costs from non-helmet wearers
What makes you think there is any truth in Irwin's specious claim about the extra costs of bicyclists' "increased injury, morbidity and mortality rates which result from not wearing helmets"?
Old 10-13-09, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted no, but won't ride without one.

I feel mandatory helmet laws like seat belt laws weaken the gene pool.
Old 10-13-09, 10:47 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder how those of you who feel this passionate at being against helmet laws feel about seat belt laws. Do you feel the same? Regardless of how you feel about seat belt laws and especially those of you who do not wear helemts for the reasons mentioned, do you wear one when in a car? Why? Because of the law and the fine you'd receive, or because they do save lives and protect you if in a collision, roll over, etc?

Before you ask what I do, I'll tell you. I have always worn one, long before it was law so it is not because of the law. I am old enough to remember when it was made a mandatory law in my state. I remember all the *****ing and moaning people did, some of them sounded like a lot of you in regards to helmet laws. They went off on a tangent that it is a restriction on their freedoms, freedom of choice, etc, despite proven fact that they do save lives.

To this day I know of people who will not wear a seat belt because of the law. They have received multiple citations because of this. Some of these people I have had to tell you either wear one in my car or you do not ride with me. Needless to say some of them got out of my car and did not ride with me, no skin off my nose, my car, my rules.

So I ask again, how do you people feel about seat belt laws? Do you wear one when in a car? Why?
Old 10-13-09, 10:55 AM
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What makes you think there is any truth in Irwin's specious claim about the extra costs of bicyclists' "increased injury, morbidity and mortality rates which result from not wearing helmets"?
There might not be any truth to it. That is the subject of other forums. To me it is plain common sense, which is probably why anti-helmet zealots (much like anticar zealots and criticak mazzholes) have so much trouble accepting it.

In any case, If there is no differential, then the premiums charged to helmet wearers and non wearers would be the same. Irwin's claim may be specious; as a statistician, I have alot of respect for the statistical prowess of the insurance industry. They have every incentive to navigate those tough social science waters that ya are referring to.

roughstuff
Old 10-13-09, 10:57 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff

In any case, If there is no differential, then the premiums charged to helmet wearers and non wearers would be the same.
As indeed they are.
Old 10-13-09, 11:01 AM
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by Square & Compas
......, do you wear one when in a car? Why? Because of the law and the fine you'd receive, or because they do save lives and protect you if in a collision, roll over, etc?

Both. That is, they save lives and because its the law. There may be laws i disagree with and therefore decide to flout (such as against certain types of hanky panky.....) but seat belt wearing is not one of them.

I wear my helmet in my car, too!

roughstuff
Old 10-13-09, 11:05 AM
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
As indeed they are.
Tempted to say then, point, set, match. (is that the order? I forget how tennis works). My health insurance policy is a miasma and incomprehensible, but i saw nothing in there about a 'helmet discount' or 'non-helmet premium. I'll be quiet before I give 'em any ideas!

roughstuff
Old 10-13-09, 11:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dislike that line of thinking. I've heard it many times, but never hear a good definition of where to stop. Realistically my lawn mower affects your air quality. Should it be illegal? My paint choice affects my neighbors home values (even on the inside): Should it be illegal? Selling stock drops the value of other owners of that stock. Should that be illegal?

What about health insurance. Candy, smoking, sedentary behavior, not enough sex; should these things be regulated because they raise rates?

It's easy to see regulating direct damage to others, but indirect damage caused through a market mechanism? I just don't agree.

Either way, you could simply have an option on your hypothetical bicycle insurance about whether you wear a helmet or not. You'd pay more if you don't (like owning a sports car) and that should make up for your difference in behavior.
Old 10-13-09, 11:39 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Square & Compas
I wonder how those of you who feel this passionate at being against helmet laws feel about seat belt laws. Do you feel the same? Regardless of how you feel about seat belt laws and especially those of you who do not wear helemts for the reasons mentioned, do you wear one when in a car? Why? Because of the law and the fine you'd receive, or because they do save lives and protect you if in a collision, roll over, etc?

Before you ask what I do, I'll tell you. I have always worn one, long before it was law so it is not because of the law. I am old enough to remember when it was made a mandatory law in my state. I remember all the *****ing and moaning people did, some of them sounded like a lot of you in regards to helmet laws. They went off on a tangent that it is a restriction on their freedoms, freedom of choice, etc, despite proven fact that they do save lives.

To this day I know of people who will not wear a seat belt because of the law. They have received multiple citations because of this. Some of these people I have had to tell you either wear one in my car or you do not ride with me. Needless to say some of them got out of my car and did not ride with me, no skin off my nose, my car, my rules.

So I ask again, how do you people feel about seat belt laws? Do you wear one when in a car? Why?
I'm for laws requiring seat belt installation. I'm against laws requiring you to wear them. I used to be on the other side of that fence, but I've come to the conclusion that the law isn't what was needed but just the marketing campaign that came with the law.
Old 10-13-09, 12:31 PM
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The increased health care expense issue is something no helmet-wearer actually believes or thinks about. I really want to know why you care about a strangers health? A family member I can understand, advocate they wear helmets, but a stranger's? I don't care about your health and welfare and don't want to influence it in any way, leave mine alone too. (Not to be offensive - just the truth.)
Old 10-13-09, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding a bike is not so inherently dangerous as to require special armor or a helmet. the most important thing you can do for your own safety is ride well, ride carefully, and pay attention to what's around you. Helmets should be left up to the individual rider's choice.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 10-13-09, 12:43 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
I'm for laws requiring seat belt installation. I'm against laws requiring you to wear them. I used to be on the other side of that fence, but I've come to the conclusion that the law isn't what was needed but just the marketing campaign that came with the law.
Ok. But do you wear one? Why?
Old 10-13-09, 12:48 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's look at this another way. What about parents who ride bike with their kids, the parents do not have a helmet on, but make the kids wear one? How many of you that are parents of young kids do this? Why?

If you do not wear a helmet, but make your kids do so, is that not teaching you child the wrong thing? Are you not being a hyppocrite? Is this how parents want to appear in the eyes of their kids? Or is your justification or your philosophy of this the "do as say, not as I do" attitude?

Or do those of you who are parents do this because there is a law in your community, for those that have such laws, requiring youngsters to wear a helmet up to a certain age? And with out the law you would not have your kids wear a helmet?

Before you say anything I am not a parent and am not offering advice on parenting or stating how you raise your child is right or wrong. I am asking questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.