Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tendonitis for ten months!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tendonitis for ten months!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 06:05 PM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Probably a longshot, but are you getting adequate protein? If not, it's possible that the tendon is not able to repair the initial injury due to dietary factors, such as being a vegan or just not getting enough protein.

Stretching, rest, and pedaling easy in low gears for a few days has always been enough for me to recover from the minor bouts of tendinitis I've had over the years, but YMMV. Something seems to preventing normal healing.
Old 09-05-18, 03:00 AM

Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I've had bad knees for years (5 operations and my right one's due for a replacement if it gets any worse) but strangely enough cycling didn't seem to affect them at all for 2 years until I started experimenting with saddle height, I literally only raised it a few mm and after a few rides thought I was going to have to give up cycling it was that bad.

Happened to go on a weeks holiday when it settled but also gave me time to think what may have caused it and when I came home put my saddle back to where it was and fingers crossed has been fine since.

I think the part that shocked me most was how little I'd moved the saddle to make such a huge difference.
Old 09-05-18, 04:21 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Who knows how you got it but something changed. My bout eith it was impact related.
Its very ftustrating because unlike a muscle injury or even a broken bone where it can be healed in as little as 6 weeks tendonitus can take months. Heres how i beat it and maybe you can figure out a way for you to apply the principles to your situation.
Mine was in my forearms. It was painful as you know and no amount if stretching or rest or ice ir heat or anything seemed to help. The key is the motion that makes it hurt. For me it was bringing my arms to my chest. The answer was to put slow pressure or resistance as i moved my arms away from my chest. As in the equal but opposite action to what was making them hurt. Perhaps i couldve used some type of band but i instead i did the exercise in a pool using the water for resistance. Problem FINALLY solved.
Hopefully i explained it well enough that you give it a whirl. Good luck.

Last edited by texaspandj; 09-05-18 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Ideal Hillmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for swimming. It is the best therapy for these kind of problems.
Old 09-08-18, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 52 x 54 cm Eisentraut steel road bike, 51 x 55 cm Windsor Pro (Eroica bike) , 1972 53 x 57 cm Peugeot UO-18 mixte town bike/"truck." UNBUILT FRAMES: 1974 52.5 x 57 cm Jack Taylor Tour of Britain, 1964 52 x 54 Super Mondia, 1979/80 Raleigh Record Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDaddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Look for maybe better PT, preferably from a sports medicine expert.

IMO less important that they ride a bike, more important that they know how to treat people who ride a bike. Not just that they're sports certified, but that they have a reputation. Start asking around. Not just the local bike shop, but visit local races, see who the respected sports doctors are in your area.

Good luck!
GGDaddy,

Finding really good practitioners who know how to treat cycling-related issues effectively, IMHO (and from my 40 years as an adaptive-approaches-required cyclist following complicated multiple injuries at age 18), is FAR easier when these *competent* and *qualified* professionals **also** participate in cycling or similar sports
themselves: there are some things you can only really learn from participating in a sport like cycling. That is not to say that other practitioners cannot be effective, but
it is a selection screen that has helped me find excellent practitioners more easily.

If I were dealing with a case of 10 months of tendinitis that included multiple rounds of unsuccessful diagnopsis or treatment, I would welcome any additional insight into diagnosis or treatment--especially personal participation--that I could find. Personally, I consider practitioners having personal cycling experience almost mandatory (IN ADDITION TO SPORTS MEDICINE CERTIFICATION AND EXCELLENT REFERRALS/BONA FIDES, OF COURSE): it sabes me a lot of explaining...
Old 09-20-18, 01:09 PM

Bikes: Centurion Lemans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I got a bike fitting! It wasn't anything extensive, just the basic one, but I'm already able to ride a few miles without pain. I'm continuing to stretch lightly and do PT at home. I also joined a gym to try swimming as a way of cross training. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and stories!
Old 09-21-18, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hardly fair