Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

The importance of owning an E-Bike during Natural & man made disasters.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

The importance of owning an E-Bike during Natural & man made disasters.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 11:52 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
The "only" Eco friendly way to get around is by walking, anything else would need something that is not as Eco friendly, thus bad for the environment...
Of course, the logical conclusion of this line of thought is that the most "eco" thing you can possibly do is immediately kill yourself. Preferably somewhere where nobody will find your body (at sea?) so there's no funeral.

Of course, there are other possibilities -- perhaps not just kill yourself, but take lots of others with you. Or there's the other alternative, live, but dedicate your life to getting others to kill themselves (or kill them yourself, in an eco-friendly way), or at least live more eco-friendly lives. (Al Gore took the latter path to some degree.)

Of course, most consider these to be extreme positions, and chose something more moderate. And if so, a solar power charged e-bike is probably a good way to go.

But if it's a natural or man-made disaster, a gasoline powered bike (or a motorcycle, a car, or a 4x4, etc. It depends on the situation) might be more flexible -- and the immediate effect on the envrionment is probably going to be less of a concern for most, at least until the disaster is over.
Old 11-06-12, 12:30 AM
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything that uses less resources then a full sized vehicle is an improvement especially if it can maneuver around and over obstacles better then a full sized vehicle ~ most especially when the pipeline of new resources coming into your area has been stopped up and what you have is all you have at least for a while so you had better make do and conserve those resources. If you got a 4-wheeler in your garage and it gets 40-mpg and your car gets only 20-mpg you best use the 4-wheeler instead of the car. Better yet make use of it instead of the car whenever possible regardless of whether there is a disaster or not. Then you can start figuring out something even more efficient to buy with that money you saved and the cycle will continue.
Old 11-06-12, 11:49 AM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
Of course, the logical conclusion of this line of thought is that the most "eco" thing you can possibly do is immediately kill yourself. Preferably somewhere where nobody will find your body (at sea?) so there's no funeral.

Of course, there are other possibilities -- perhaps not just kill yourself, but take lots of others with you. Or there's the other alternative, live, but dedicate your life to getting others to kill themselves (or kill them yourself, in an eco-friendly way), or at least live more eco-friendly lives. (Al Gore took the latter path to some degree.)

Of course, most consider these to be extreme positions, and chose something more moderate. And if so, a solar power charged e-bike is probably a good way to go.

But if it's a natural or man-made disaster, a gasoline powered bike (or a motorcycle, a car, or a 4x4, etc. It depends on the situation) might be more flexible -- and the immediate effect on the envrionment is probably going to be less of a concern for most, at least until the disaster is over.
WOW, That logical conclusion you got from my simple statement, that walking is the most Eco friendly way to get around, thus if I wanted to be more Eco friendly I should kill myself and would even be better yet kill others...
Old 11-06-12, 12:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WOW, That logical conclusion you got from my simple statement, that walking is the most Eco friendly way to get around, thus if I wanted to be more Eco friendly I should kill myself and would even be better yet kill others...
Yes, the most "eco-friendly" thing you can possibly do (without influencing others) is kill yourself. And if you can influence others, either make them live more eco-friendly lives themselves, or even better -- kill them. Make sure they don't reproduce too!

Face it -- there's more humans on this planet than it can support for an extended period of time, so unless technology can somehow fix the problem, the most eco-friendly solution is to reduce the number of people on the planet. War could be quite effective at that, but it's also bad for the environment.

But maybe you can find a middle ground. Currently, the "norm" in this country is a gasoline powered car, air conditioned house, buying and throwing stuff away left and right. Maybe there's a recycling bin in there somewhere, but it's a small part of the total package. There's lots of room for improvement without killing yourself.
Old 11-06-12, 03:16 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Yes, the most "eco-friendly" thing you can possibly do (without influencing others) is kill yourself. And if you can influence others, either make them live more eco-friendly lives themselves, or even better -- kill them. Make sure they don't reproduce too!

Face it -- there's more humans on this planet than it can support for an extended period of time, so unless technology can somehow fix the problem, the most eco-friendly solution is to reduce the number of people on the planet. War could be quite effective at that, but it's also bad for the environment.

But maybe you can find a middle ground. Currently, the "norm" in this country is a gasoline powered car, air conditioned house, buying and throwing stuff away left and right. Maybe there's a recycling bin in there somewhere, but it's a small part of the total package. There's lots of room for improvement without killing yourself.
Well I'm going to suggest that YOU do the most Eco friendly thing that you can think of, and I will keep doing what I am doing, and ride my E assist bike as much as possible among other things...
Old 11-06-12, 03:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I'm going to suggest that YOU do the most Eco friendly thing that you can think of,
You're assuming that my only goal is to do the most eco-friendly thing possible. I assure you, it's not -- my motivations are more complicated than that. Most people's are.

But then again, I'm not publicly patting myself on the back for how great my solar power charged e-bike is for the environment either.
Old 11-06-12, 03:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
er...a regular bike is considerably better than an Ebike in all of these situations. Unless you're disabled or something.
Old 11-06-12, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
er...a regular bike is considerably better than an Ebike in all of these situations. Unless you're disabled or something.
E-Bike gets the job done 1000 x better, Not disabled but 50 years old no comparison
Old 11-06-12, 04:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scaliboy62
E-Bike gets the job done 1000 x better, Not disabled but 50 years old no comparison
I guess you're going to have to justify why a vehicle that is much heavier, more complicated, and requires an external power source is better in a disaster.
Old 11-06-12, 05:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because your able to cover much more ground faster with the use of less physical energy, if i used a bicycle to ride 25 miles i would be exhausted & it would take much longer, ..have you ever riddin one ? Oh & it's 1000 x more fun too

Last edited by Scaliboy62; 11-06-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-06-12, 05:32 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scaliboy62
Because your able to cover much much more ground faster with the use of less physical energy, if i used a bicycle to ride 25 miles i would be exhausted & it would take much much more time. ..have you ever riddin one ? Oh & it's 1000 x more fun too
How does that apply in a natural disaster? I would be very surprised if the very moderate (and probably zero) advantage in your actual average speed outweighs the significant disadvantages listed above.
Old 11-06-12, 05:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK Buddy
Old 11-06-12, 06:00 PM

You're assuming that my only goal is to do the most eco-friendly thing possible. I assure you, it's not -- my motivations are more complicated than that. Most people's are.

But then again, I'm not publicly patting myself on the back for how great my solar power charged e-bike is for the environment either.
WOW, Is that what this is all about? I should kill myself and others to be more Eco friendly as my solar powered E assist is not good enough to mention? How old are you? 16? with the mentality of a 14 year-old? Where are the moderators for this forum? Somebody needs a spanking or at least a 3 day time out, as suggesting someone kill themselves and others, is not conducive to forums like this... JMO

Sorry OP but ...
Old 11-06-12, 06:32 PM

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
And with the thread going down in flames it's time for a lock.