Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Studs no guarantee, helmets helpful

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Studs no guarantee, helmets helpful

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 10:31 AM

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swwhite
Thank you, I have heard that a helmet can sustain damage that can't be seen, but this was a really light tap, no more, I think, than it would have gotten if I had fumbled it and dropped it on the floor at home. And there was snow cover on the street. So I think I'll chance it.
I have a decent amount of experience with materials science and failure analysis and have seen many materials fail that did not appear to be damaged. Your assessment depends on two things:

1) your ability to estimage how much impact that helmet took during a crash, when your observation skills probably weren't too good, and
2) your ability to observe damage after the crash, which wouldn't reveal any small, internal flaws in the polystyrene shell which could cause the helmet to fail in a serious crash.

I really wouldn't risk it; it's not possible to reliably determine how much impact the helmet took. This probably isn't the place to save $20-$50. In my case, I was in a crash in which I don't think my head hit the ground *at all* - I don't remember any impact, and I didn't see any road rash on the liner. Guess what? I replaced it anyway, and my kids got a used helmet to play with.

Do what you like obviously, but I wouldn't trust that helmet. Ain't worth it. Besides, if you've had the thing for a while it probably smelled like holy hell anyway.
Old 12-17-07, 01:04 PM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
Water on ice can and will lead to hydroplaning on ice just as easily as on pavement...it takes 1/8 th of an inch. The popular magic number for cars is 1/4th, but bikes and walking people are severely lighter.
Sheldon tells me that hydroplaning on a bike is impossible...

I'd like to hear your thoughts to his claim as I'm very interested in the science behind this.
Old 12-17-07, 01:27 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by swwhite
I was hurrying home from work today because of a little crisis. I have studded tires for winter, the kind with studs at the edges to aid in turns, but no studs down the middle for less rolling resistance. I was coming to a stop at a side street with some bare pavement and some packed snow, and BOOM, down I went. I landed on my side and felt the side of my helmet lightly tap the pavement.

I don't know what I ran into, but I would guess it was a little polished icy spot that I hit while going straight so no studs were in contact with the pavement. So one must not get overconfident with studs. As for the helmet, no damage, it was a very light tap, but it reminded me why I wear it.
wap! glad you're OK.
i run my studded tires at slightly low pressure so the studs are ALWAYS a little in contact with the ground. around 40psi front, 45 or 50 rear. i started high and lowered the pressure till i got a constant "buzz" out of the studs from contacting the ground.
FWIW
cheers