Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Collection Reduction Support/Encouragement/Accountability thread!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Collection Reduction Support/Encouragement/Accountability thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-24, 06:36 PM

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Liked 2,187 Times in 1,275 Posts
Well Dave,
Tomorrow morning these will leave the premises. There are a couple that could be keepers, but there is little interest in them locally so off to the scrapyard they go. They came in here as items on the way to the yard anyway, but I have no interest in trying to revive any of the bikes. It is a reduction of the herd that is currently in the shop, so I will be back to N+6 of the keepers. Smiles, MH

One of your favorite brand names!

Some three speeds that are the ones favored by Kurt, but you can't save them all.

Even an early Raleigh that could be a good bike but too much work to save.
Old 06-09-24, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Too many....

Liked 893 Times in 212 Posts
Been away for a while, but I have been thinking about this topic. One thing I know for sure is it would help me to focus my collection. Right now, I am all over the board, but I think my number one theme has always been high end bikes by mass market manufacturers during the time I grew up (so, late 60's early-mid 70's)..... that would include Motobecane, Raleigh and Schwinn, and would include models like the Paramount, Professional, International, Le Champion, etc. - in other words, bikes that I might have coveted in person at my LBS during that timeframe. So I think if I focus on that, that might be helpful in terms of pruning.

One other thing I have been thinking about is in relation to the abysmal market for selling these right now. I never entered this with the idea that I might make money, but rather simply break even. That still looks possible - I doubt I would ever make a profit on what I have to sell, but I think at least I can potentially break even, or maybe exit with a slight loss. However, that discounts the "profit" that I have made over the years in acquiring these bikes, working on them, and the psychic benefits of owning, and more importantly, riding these bikes. They are such a joy to look at and to ride, they are great "usable art."

Thanks fer listening....!

Andy
Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 06-09-24, 09:31 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: Gängl, Trek 938, Raleigh Professional, Paramount, Allez, Guerciotti, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 750, Miyata 1000 < Huffy

Liked 4,009 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Well Dave,
Tomorrow morning these will leave the premises. There are a couple that could be keepers, but there is little interest in them locally so off to the scrapyard they go. They came in here as items on the way to the yard anyway, but I have no interest in trying to revive any of the bikes. It is a reduction of the herd that is currently in the shop, so I will be back to N+6 of the keepers. Smiles, MH

One of your favorite brand names!

Some three speeds that are the ones favored by Kurt, but you can't save them all.

Even an early Raleigh that could be a good bike but too much work to save.

The Huffy?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(but I guess balance is restored by including the Raleighs as well) Kurt ain't gonna be too happy about it though!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-09-24 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-09-24, 09:35 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: Gängl, Trek 938, Raleigh Professional, Paramount, Allez, Guerciotti, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 750, Miyata 1000 < Huffy

Originally Posted by 75lechamp
Been away for a while, but I have been thinking about this topic. One thing I know for sure is it would help me to focus my collection. Right now, I am all over the board, but I think my number one theme has always been high end bikes by mass market manufacturers during the time I grew up (so, late 60's early-mid 70's)..... that would include Motobecane, Raleigh and Schwinn, and would include models like the Paramount, Professional, International, Le Champion, etc. - in other words, bikes that I might have coveted in person at my LBS during that timeframe. So I think if I focus on that, that might be helpful in terms of pruning.

One other thing I have been thinking about is in relation to the abysmal market for selling these right now. I never entered this with the idea that I might make money, but rather simply break even. That still looks possible - I doubt I would ever make a profit on what I have to sell, but I think at least I can potentially break even, or maybe exit with a slight loss. However, that discounts the "profit" that I have made over the years in acquiring these bikes, working on them, and the psychic benefits of owning, and more importantly, riding these bikes. They are such a joy to look at and to ride, they are great "usable art."

Thanks fer listening....!

Andy

Andy,

Absolutely! We're glad to have you on board within the realm of this topic. I've said it before, but you always have impeccable taste when it comes to bikes, and given your ethos, your collection completely makes sense.

I see that the Eddy Rando is back on (for October). I wonder if they'd be open to a 'marketplace' of sorts, where folks could buy/sell, next to the concours. I bet we could all either sell a few things, or find a few things to pick up.

Old 06-10-24, 12:12 AM

Bikes: n+1

Liked 157 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I like the somewhat philosophical direction this is going. For someone that has access to roads, gravel, mountains, snow, etc. just what would be a good number?

Now, I've seen that joke cartoon (or is it just a diagram), showing 10-20 bikes, each one for a specific purpose, but assuming a bit of overlap is realistic...

Could one (again, assuming 'one' is an individual that loves bikes, loves riding bikes, wrenching, etc), potential get away with:

1) Road bike with 2 sets of wheels - 1 for road, 1 for gravel
2) Some sort of atb / mtb for when the desire hit to go a bit more off the gravel road
3) Some sort of Sat/Sun ride 'collector' bike that is fun to take on the retro rides and get all nerdy over?
4) Some all-weather commuter type bike?

You could even get away w/ combos - 1 and 3, or 1 and 4. 3 and 4 are polar opposites, so not really anything there.

For me personally, I like the idea of a do-anything, bugout bike - something that you could take, throw in the back of a vehicle, and no matter what you'd face, you'd at least have some sort of 2 wheeled transportation? An older 'atb' would be perfect for that. I like the idea of a fast road bike that is exhilarating to ride, something that reminds you of why you ride. I like something of an older collectible bike, but obscure enough that you don't see them often. A commuter, yes.

I could probably come up with another two dozen random idea for bikes, and then I'm sort of lost in it all again.
If I was minimizing I could get by with 1 rigid mtb with a 3x gearing. Preferably from the 90's. Maybe 2 sets of wheels, or just ride mtb for a couple months, then ride road faster with a tire swap.
I have all terrain here besides snow, so a good compromise would be 1 rigid mtb, 2 vintage road bikes. One setup mostly for comfort, other for zippy old school riding. Then 1 hardtail mtb, and maybe 1 full suspension.
Hardtail mtb for dirt jumping, and more skillful mtbing with a line choice focus, then the full suspension for DH rides, high speed cruising, or racing.

Related to this thread I am posting neat finds on the are you looking for these threads, helps me think someone else can find a deal.
Oh, and understanding that every bike I get pulls time away from a different one.
Old 06-10-24, 12:26 AM
Cantilever believer

Liked 2,392 Times in 1,037 Posts
I like the somewhat philosophical direction this is going. For someone that has access to roads, gravel, mountains, snow, etc. just what would be a good number?

Now, I've seen that joke cartoon (or is it just a diagram), showing 10-20 bikes, each one for a specific purpose, but assuming a bit of overlap is realistic...

Could one (again, assuming 'one' is an individual that loves bikes, loves riding bikes, wrenching, etc), potential get away with:

1) Road bike with 2 sets of wheels - 1 for road, 1 for gravel
2) Some sort of atb / mtb for when the desire hit to go a bit more off the gravel road
3) Some sort of Sat/Sun ride 'collector' bike that is fun to take on the retro rides and get all nerdy over?
4) Some all-weather commuter type bike?

You could even get away w/ combos - 1 and 3, or 1 and 4. 3 and 4 are polar opposites, so not really anything there.

For me personally, I like the idea of a do-anything, bugout bike - something that you could take, throw in the back of a vehicle, and no matter what you'd face, you'd at least have some sort of 2 wheeled transportation? An older 'atb' would be perfect for that. I like the idea of a fast road bike that is exhilarating to ride, something that reminds you of why you ride. I like something of an older collectible bike, but obscure enough that you don't see them often. A commuter, yes.

I could probably come up with another two dozen random idea for bikes, and then I'm sort of lost in it all again.
The bike I own that could cover the greatest usage range is probably the Bike Friday. It can carry stuff front & rear, it folds small for travel, it has a low straddle height in case I ever have joint problems, but it's not fast or as efficient as my other bikes.

I bought the Ross Mt. Cruiser in 1995, but then picked up the Nashbar cruisers in late 1996. The plan was the Nashbars would be his & hers mountain bikes, but she decided she had no interest in bumpy offroad and I didn't have the time for MTBing, so they sat in their boxes. I was happy with the Ross, but was thinking it wasn't right to have a lighter bike just sitting in a box unused, so in 2010 I built one of the Nashbars as a more-efficient version of the Ross. And in summer 2010 we took the Ross on our Big Road Trip, and the rear truck-mount bike carrier broke, and the poor bike got dragged for miles at 65 mph. But I couldn't bear to have a possibly-useful old friend permanently retired, so I straightened & rebuilt it. So now there are two bikes in nearly-identical operational niches, both of which I really like and don't ever want to part with, only one is slightly lighter & more efficient and the other might be less attractive to thieves.

In 2017, I decided I wanted to finally start mountain biking, so I took the other Nashbar out of the box and built it with a suspension fork and a Thudbuster, and it worked adequately well. But then I happened into a dual-suspension Haro, so I stripped the Nashbar back down again and built it as a fast road bike that can carry more and is a bit more comfortable than my old Raleigh Pro. But now those two bikes occupy a near-identical niche, both of which I intend to keep, differentiated only by slight weight and carrying ability. But I find I use the Nashbar more, as it can carry more bottles on hot days or from a breakfast stop, and carries my "ride leader" tool bag which can't be taken by the racer.
Old 06-10-24, 06:28 AM
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 16 Cdale Synapse 105, 88 Cdale M500, and a few others

Liked 661 Times in 350 Posts
This one will be heading out next weekend! My coworker stopped in yesterday and tried out several bikes and she decided on this one. I'm ordering a kickstand, new grips, and different tires for it before she picks it up.

Last edited by Trav1s; 06-10-24 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 06-10-24, 07:15 AM
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Trav1s
This one will be heading out next weekend! My coworker stopped in yesterday and tried out several bikes and she decided on this one. I'm ordering a kickstand, new grips, and different tires for it before she picks it up.

Great little bike - will probably last darn near forever. Looks in really, really nice shape too.

Old 06-10-24, 07:25 AM
Deraill this!

Great little bike - will probably last darn near forever. Looks in really, really nice shape too.
While it has a fair share of scratches, it has not been abused. Lots of great components and definitely bombproof. That red color is beautiful.
Old 06-10-24, 08:33 AM

Liked 487 Times in 254 Posts
The Honknalgo is on the road again!
While the build has done nothing to reduce the number of bikes under my roof, it has allowed me to finally use components that have been languishing.
Included in this build there’s the Dura Ace front derailleur purchased in 1975 , used briefly, then served as a donor of bolts and screws, the front wheel with a HF Campy hub that still has the Avocet computer ring still attached and build around a Mavic G40 rim, some Superbe levers, and various NR bits. I did have to purchase a seat post, as the original was just a tad short, and some HB tape. Hope I did MadHonk proud.

Now I can move on to getting a Novara Trinofo out of the rafters and ready to head elsewhere
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 06-10-24, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Lemond Poprad, LeMond Victoire, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, incoming Mercian rando by Gugie

Liked 407 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
IOh, and understanding that every bike I get pulls time away from a different one.
This is the key. If you're still able to ride and not collecting for its own sake (nothing wrong with that!), riding is better than shopping. When I hit n >10, I'm spending too much time taking care of the bikes and that takes away from time riding. At least that's how it goes for me.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 06-10-24, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Lemond Poprad, LeMond Victoire, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, incoming Mercian rando by Gugie

Down one more, or at least in the process. Offered a bike for sale and someone just wanted it as a frameset, so I start disassembling it tonight.

I'll take some more photos tonight and get the next one or two listed.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 06-10-24, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Liked 664 Times in 215 Posts
Another bike found its new owner today. A Father bought his 19 year old son an older Cannondale Prophet. His son is said to like "older" bicycles.

My count is now N-5. Three to go.

As mhespenheide pointed out and I agree that at N>10 I spend far too much time wrenching and not enough time riding. Now doing that planned full service on my Allez so I can ride it more than just around the block seems less of a job to do and more of why I got it; maintain and enjoy for a while...
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 06-11-24, 04:11 AM

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Liked 343 Times in 152 Posts
Speaking of wives, the images of the hoards on this thread make a compelling argument that I don't have it all that bad.
The Pharisee had it right: "God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men."
It's certainly a better argument than "I can stop anytime."

cheers -mathias
Likes For steine13:
Old 06-11-24, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Too many....

Liked 893 Times in 212 Posts
Andy,

Absolutely! We're glad to have you on board within the realm of this topic. I've said it before, but you always have impeccable taste when it comes to bikes, and given your ethos, your collection completely makes sense.

I see that the Eddy Rando is back on (for October). I wonder if they'd be open to a 'marketplace' of sorts, where folks could buy/sell, next to the concours. I bet we could all either sell a few things, or find a few things to pick up.
Thanks! Well, I have offered up my De Rosa in the classifieds here, let's see how that goes. I am curious to see if it is priced correctly per the current market.

Thanks,

Andy
Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 06-11-24, 06:20 PM
Deraill this!

Oops… lots of good parts of you can look past the hacktastic powertrain upgrade. The old chainsaw engine is mounted to a plate that are attached to the bottle mounts. It still has the Alivio hubs, crank, and rear derailleu. Organ donor or project bike? Time will telll.

Last edited by Trav1s; 06-11-24 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-12-24, 06:59 AM

Liked 402 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Down one more, or at least in the process. Offered a bike for sale and someone just wanted it as a frameset, so I start disassembling it tonight.

I'll take some more photos tonight and get the next one or two listed.
Be careful, a box full of parts is usually my downfall. I end up looking for another frame to put them on.
Old 06-12-24, 07:14 AM
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"; 1994 Concorde Aquila

Liked 457 Times in 284 Posts
It looks like I'm doing my part to help jdawginsc Dave get rid of parts .
Just sent off a Clubman framset yesterday to a new, loving home. That leaves a Raleigh Competition GS, Raleigh Super Course Mk II, Mercier somethingorother, then it's on to built bikes...

Phil
Old 06-12-24, 07:19 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,244 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Oops… lots of good parts of you can look past the hacktastic powertrain upgrade. The old chainsaw engine is mounted to a plate that are attached to the bottle mounts. It still has the Alivio hubs, crank, and rear derailleu. Organ donor or project bike? Time will telll.
It was good of them to mount the motor to existing points instead of ruining a good bike with permanent modifications. Hopefully, the torque of the motor didn't crack the bottle mounts.
Old 06-12-24, 05:30 PM
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by Pompiere
It was good of them to mount the motor to existing points instead of ruining a good bike with permanent modifications. Hopefully, the torque of the motor didn't crack the bottle mounts.
I'm curious about possible damage. I'm hoping the frame is salvageable but I won't get to it until this weekend.
Old 06-12-24, 08:39 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam,1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,279 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by M A V
I feel like I should be here. I started as an opportunistic collector in 2013, when I was lucky enough acquire a dream bike for me, a 1972 Paramount P13-9. Since then if I've found it interesting, I bought it. Lately I'm much more selective on what I want to hold on to and not flip. I work at a bike shop so opportunities to add are always presenting themselves.

I currently have some important bikes in the collection and I've been working to document them. I'd like to move toward having less "C" bikes and keep the "A" and "B" tiers. The current market is terrible for selling, so I'd have to really not want to have something to sell it right now. But, it's something I need to be actively doing.

I'm dealing with bikes in three storage units, I lost count after 100, since they're not all in the same place. Some of the "C" tier is not where I currently live, so I dont have access to sell those. When I had a basement, I was able to organize (first 2 pics) and display. Now, I have access to quite a few "A" and "B" but some "C" has worked its way in (rest of the pics).

that is a fantastic and awesome collection
Likes For georges1:
Old 06-12-24, 08:45 PM
iab

Liked 4,147 Times in 1,509 Posts
Went at Auburn.

Old 06-13-24, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kobe
Be careful, a box full of parts is usually my downfall. I end up looking for another frame to put them on.
Eh, I've got about ten boxes of parts. It's the limitation on room to hang bikes or frames that's my limitation right now.

Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 06-13-24, 01:21 PM
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"; 1994 Concorde Aquila

Liked 457 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
I think most of us don't need a box of parts... Even one stray nice part could germinate into a whole bike. I've told the story of my Suntour XC Pro brake levers which spawned three builds and are currently slated for replacement by a set of Deore XT levers on my Univega.
Maybe 6 months ago I bought a set of NOS Cyclone bottom bracket cups which were badly photographed in the online ad, but labeled as English thread. They arrived and turned out to be Italian. The seller and I agreed to a partial refund then they sat on a box for a while, and somehow turned into TWO racing bikes with Italian bottom brackets.
If I have a box of parts, I'm almost done with a build project, but one solitary shiny component makes a really nice seed.
Phil
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 06-14-24, 01:16 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,060 Times in 1,730 Posts
[MENTION=569072]IdahoBrett[/MENTION], amusing story. Some of our spice (plural of spouse) are quite supportive. In fact, mine put my collecting and flipping hobby into motion. For my birthday, she cleared a space in our basement so I could have a workshop.

When we moved from the suburbs to the City, she asked me how many bikes I thought I should keep. My response was "about eight." She said, "That seems reasonable."

Having more than one means I can switch if the bike I planned to ride has a mechanical problem. I can have one for transportation and one oriented towards fun.

In our home in the City, I keep four bikes:
- my track racing bike which I only ride once every two years or so and really should move along
- my road racing bike
- my commuter bike with all kinds of accessories
- my stripped down street fixie

My spouse has a very nice cyclocross bike she uses for errands and fun rides. Now she says she wants a serious errand bike that allows carrying stuff. Lately she uses Citi Bike for shopping errands, but the carrying capacity is limited, and the bike is annoying to ride.

I also ride Citi Bike a fair bit. The bikes are annoying, especially when exceeding three miles, but they're very practical. No worries about locking up and theft. It's great to be able to jump on, and it enables one-way trips where I take mass transit in the other direction.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.