Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 08:11 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keith I am flabbergasted, we were going to go eat dinner there some time soon. I guess not now.
Old 02-20-08, 08:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavernmech
Totally off topic but I had to share.

Mindy was at work yesterday..The Friendly Thai...doing her usual bang-up job. Out of nowhere the manager of the place asks her "Is your pootah clean?" Now these guys are Sri Lankan...and I admittedly don't speak Sri Lankan but I think there is only one thing this could mean. She got in his face and asked him angrily to repeat what he said. He chuckled and sheepishly refused. She quit on the spot leaving them magnificently short handed. I have 2 questions for y'all. Firstly does anyone here know any Sri Lankan speakers that would be willing to translate a friendly discussion with this clown as all the staff there speak barely any English?. If one wanted to lodge a complaint about this misogynistic and unacceptable behavior where would one go?
I don't know much about the human rights commission. You could likely bring an action for sexual harassment / wrongful dismissal in small claims court. It would cost you $90 or so, and the most you can sue for is $10 000, but it's pretty easy to do and you don't need a lawyer.

That said, I'd be more than happy to help Mindy in anyway you need. PM me if you'd like.
Old 02-20-08, 08:21 AM
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mindy was at work yesterday..The Friendly Thai...doing her usual bang-up job. Out of nowhere the manager of the place asks her "Is your pootah clean?" Now these guys are Sri Lankan...and I admittedly don't speak Sri Lankan but I think there is only one thing this could mean. She got in his face and asked him angrily to repeat what he said. He chuckled and sheepishly refused. She quit on the spot leaving them magnificently short handed. I have 2 questions for y'all. Firstly does anyone here know any Sri Lankan speakers that would be willing to translate a friendly discussion with this clown as all the staff there speak barely any English?. If one wanted to lodge a complaint about this misogynistic and unacceptable behavior where would one go?
I got a few buddies that are tamil...ill link em an email an see if they are cool to do that...

maybe a good balaklava and crobar job is also in order?
Old 02-20-08, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"If you are experiencing harassment in your workplace, call the Ontario Human Rights Commission at 1-800-387-9080, or the Workers' Information Centre at (416) 535-9875 for Toronto residents. If you've been forced to quit work due to harassment, call the Ministry of Labour at 416-326-7400."
Old 02-20-08, 08:25 AM
Not Superstitious

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, IRO Mark V, Rocky Mountain Fusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just asked a buddy at work who is Sri Lankan and he doesn't think that it has any particular significance in Sri Lankan but everyone around the office pretty well agrees on what this scum ****er meant.

In Spanish it usually means ****, ***** or ***** depending on what words you pair up with it (see: puta madre) but I've definitely heard it used synonymously with "*****" so I don't think that there is any doubt what this piece of **** was asking.

Which Friendly Thai location is this?
Old 02-20-08, 08:28 AM
Not Superstitious

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, IRO Mark V, Rocky Mountain Fusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
The block that contains Duke's is on fire.
I'm going to shoot over there at lunch and see what I can see but the news reports don't look good. It's a real shame - think about how much irreplaceable stuff (or close to) there is at Suspect - not to mention in the homes above these businesses.

RIP Dukes - I never bought much there because frankly they didn't carry a lot of what I needed and were awful with ordering stuff (it always took so long that I'd cancel) but most of them have always been really nice guys to me and some of the mechanics have shared a lot of very helpful advice. It's always sad to see another one bite the dust.
Old 02-20-08, 08:36 AM
Fix Turns My Crank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keeping on the fire + bikes in toronto theme> https://www.archives.gov.on.ca/englis...g_slide_02.htm
Old 02-20-08, 08:40 AM
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattRennick
I just asked a buddy at work who is Sri Lankan and he doesn't think that it has any particular significance in Sri Lankan but everyone around the office pretty well agrees on what this scum ****er meant.

In Spanish it usually means ****, ***** or ***** depending on what words you pair up with it (see: puta madre) but I've definitely heard it used synonymously with "*****" so I don't think that there is any doubt what this piece of **** was asking.

Which Friendly Thai location is this?
yup...pooondah is usually that...but i mean putah and poondah dont sound all that different...and you can basically get what they meant anyways...wack...nuttin worse then punk muthafkas like that.
Old 02-20-08, 09:00 AM
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedude
keeping on the fire + bikes in toronto theme> https://www.archives.gov.on.ca/englis...g_slide_02.htm
Well played.
Old 02-20-08, 09:11 AM

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattRennick
I'm going to shoot over there at lunch and see what I can see but the news reports don't look good. It's a real shame - think about how much irreplaceable stuff (or close to) there is at Suspect - not to mention in the homes above these businesses.

RIP Dukes - I never bought much there because frankly they didn't carry a lot of what I needed and were awful with ordering stuff (it always took so long that I'd cancel) but most of them have always been really nice guys to me and some of the mechanics have shared a lot of very helpful advice. It's always sad to see another one bite the dust.
Well, it looks like I'm boned for warranty on my CAAD9. This really sucks the big one. I hope they have insurance to cover the building, store contents, etc... so they can re-open. I doubt it would be in the same location, though.

edit: I can now scratch the Capo from my list of potential fixies </blackHumor>
Old 02-20-08, 09:12 AM
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked all grey up at Portland there, the smoke is currently drifting past my window, and I see the heat haze (I face east, but am at King/Brant real close) - real sad about Dukes, Jupiter *cough* and National Sound... Nikolai's restaurant supply was a great place, too... With the recent development-wants for a condo/HomeDepot on that corner I'm a tad suspicious of the whole thing too. I haven't heard, but I don't think anyone has been caught up in it, which is lucky + good.

As for the rude comments at work - which location? I'll be sure to pass on the "no go" to everyone I know, and I hope Mindy gets some results following that up - that's just not cool at all... AT ALL. I prefer Bangkok Paradise at Queen/Portland anyway, though that's a no go zone right now anyway....
Old 02-20-08, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not quoting Jit5's comments, but seriously. Normally I take what you say with a grain of salt, but that's just in bad taste. Plus, I don't know if you've ever met Keith, but he's not a guy I'd want mad at me.
Old 02-20-08, 09:15 AM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know <redacted> in spanish is definately vulgar. unfortunately, kitchen language usually isn't the most civilized. a great number of our kitchen staff is sri lanken, i'm sure they could translate for you.

i just heard about the duke's fire. i'm heading down that way to work now, i'll see if the fire is still going...

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 02-20-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 09:20 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jit5 has indeed proven how stupid he really is. That or he WANTS a to-the-ground beat down...maybe it's been awhile. 'Tard you're talking about someone's SO here. Leslie/queen location..spanking new. I'm going to be sure to go in and tell them why I'm never going to cross the threshold again.
Old 02-20-08, 09:22 AM

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flimflam
With the recent development-wants for a condo/HomeDepot on that corner I'm a tad suspicious of the whole thing too.
"adam vaughan is on cp24 now and he says those buildings were just declared heritage bldgs and would not have been torn down (that's another area apparently)"

But now they don't have those pesky heritage buildings to content with </conspiracy theories>
Old 02-20-08, 09:23 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm heritage wreckage now?
Old 02-20-08, 09:25 AM

Liked 897 Times in 400 Posts
It is a huge fire, wow. Dukes is a landmark but I am sure they will be back, insurance and all that. Plus, I am pretty sure they own the building they are in, so they can rebuild.

I will miss Suspect more though, Dukes wasn't really my cup of tea. I guess I will hold onto the dvds that I rented until there is a gameplan from them. Total suckage.

And yeah, just report jit5's comments and the mods will take it down. It isn't worth commenting on, it encourages him....
Old 02-20-08, 09:27 AM
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by somnambulant
"adam vaughan is on cp24 now and he says those buildings were just declared heritage bldgs and would not have been torn down (that's another area apparently)"

But now they don't have those pesky heritage buildings to content with </conspiracy theories>
Yeah I just read on the website there are allegations of a drug lab gone awry too, but unconfirmed.

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
And yeah, just report jit5's comments and the mods will take it down. It isn't worth commenting on, it encourages him....
+1

Stinks outside here though, bleh. I've only been in Dukes a couple of times, they were a bit too boutiquey for me - but it's a big shame, I realise they were a big part of the bike community, and I heard that they own if not their shop, but more of that little block there - so I'm hoping they'll have the means to setup once again. I forgot that video place was called Suspect, made me wonder WTF for a moment, that place was awesome I bought my first and only vapourizer from that Jupiter place too, ahh the memories of that block...

Last edited by Flimflam; 02-20-08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by somnambulant
Dunno if any of you guys remember the heritage building that was on teh corner of John and Richmond. It was a huge red building that was derelict and that took up the whole block....until it mysteriously burnt to the ground in 1993 or so. Of course, it was where the Paramount is now and Hooters and all the other crappy stores that I cannot remember. For years, the building was a source of controversy because developers wanted the land but it was useless as the building could not be torn down..... :tinfoil-hat:
Old 02-20-08, 09:34 AM

A reporter just asked if the building collapsed because of all the burning bike tires.
Old 02-20-08, 09:35 AM
Fix Turns My Crank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7627738...ol-torontoist/
Old 02-20-08, 09:39 AM
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Wow. what a day. I could see the smoke all the way from the dundas/college bridge on my way in to the shop. I've done a lot of business at Duke's over the years... can't afford to shop there now, but when I could they could always get the best stuff. I don't know about the conspiracy ideas, Jet's right that Gary (or the family at least) owns the block, and burning down your bike shop one month before the rush season is a bit of a strange plan. Keep an eye out for some slightly charred deals at the spring bike show though! You've gotta figure that somewhere in a corner of a basement there were some pretty sweet brand new 100yr old parts laying around.

Keith- WTF. Didn't the boss fire the other guy when Mindy quit?

Also, full moon and lunar eclipse tonight! *howls*
Old 02-20-08, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Also, full moon and lunar eclipse tonight! *howls*
You should go inverse tonight, and shave.

Also, anyone up for a ride this Saturday?

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 02-20-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kergin
edited by moderators
Instead of quoting it, click on "Report this post to a moderator" and it will be deleted, just like every other post jit5 has made in this thread. He likes the attention, don't satisfy him...

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 02-20-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 09:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Keep an eye out for some slightly charred deals at the spring bike show though!
What time and how burnt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.