Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Another "What don't you like about my bike" thread, anybody?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Another "What don't you like about my bike" thread, anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Yep, that seat is loud. Ignore the strap-on bottle cage (I was in a hurry that morning). Fire away.
Whole bunch of colorful stuff on top, then the lower half is boring ol' silver. Looks unbalanced.
Old 08-18-17, 01:20 PM

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
that oversized seatbag looks like a wet diaper.
Old 08-18-17, 02:45 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Yep, that seat is loud. Ignore the strap-on bottle cage (I was in a hurry that morning). Fire away.

Looks like Liberace joined the army.

-Tim-
Old 08-18-17, 04:33 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-

Old 08-19-17, 05:30 AM

Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Here goes..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Schwinn.jpg (99.4 KB, 327 views)
Old 08-19-17, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Frame bag looks like a certain male appendage.

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Here goes..
Old 08-19-17, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bluechip
Frame bag looks like a certain male appendage.
Lol I never realized that before. I have a 14/15mm ratcheting wrench in there to take off the rear wheel.

Dave
Old 08-19-17, 12:31 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Blue things gotta go and the orange thing needs more black.
Old 08-19-17, 12:57 PM

The blue is not actually part of the bike. That was the poweraide in my water bottle lol.

Dave
Old 08-19-17, 02:20 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
point was, just because you can... doesn't mean you should.;

imho
Old 08-19-17, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Old 08-19-17, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by hay
point was, just because you can... doesn't mean you should.;

imho
Am I supposed to match my beverage to the bike?

Dave
Old 09-01-17, 11:05 AM

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Am I supposed to match my beverage to the bike?

Dave
I think he was more than likely commenting on the location of said beverage holder
Old 09-01-17, 12:51 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
I think he was more than likely commenting on the location of said beverage holder
The odd location of said beverage holder matches the odd choice of blue Gatorade perfectly.

I rode with Dave the day he had the misplaced yet conveniently located beverage holder. It looked like a windshield washer reservoir to me but I really didn't say anything. Instead I tried to drop him, but couldn't.

-Tim-
Old 01-21-18, 02:00 PM
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Liked 824 Times in 405 Posts
By request, [MENTION=362748]SquidPuppet[/MENTION].
Attached Images
volare77-after2.jpg (874.9 KB, 174 views)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-21-18, 02:28 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by J.Oxley
By request, @SquidPuppet.
Thank you.

I use a zero to five point scale.

Old lugged steel frame with quill stem: 5 points
Chrome lugs: 5 points
Chrome fork socks and stay ends: 5 big points
It's RED: 5 points
Appropriate saddle: 5 points
Appropriate Crank: 5 points
Very appropriate wheels built with appropriate rims and traditional lacing pattern. 5 points

It's a wonderful bike. Lovely. If I saw you parking it at a coffee shop I'd come over and check it out and strike up a conversation. It's a five star bike.

Pedals: - 500 points. I am tempted to go to the bottom drawer of my toolbox to retrieve some rusty old screwdrivers so that I can shove them into my eye sockets to end my suffering. I don't care if you already had them in your parts bin (free). I don't care if you prefer large pedals and they function perfectly. I don't care if (like me) you prefer no retention. You wouldn't put a rhinestone covered lavender color collar on a German Shepard would you? It's not just me either. I'm sure the bike is severely depressed or filled with rage and resentment too. Why? Why? Why? This must be remedied for the sake of humanity.

Welcome to SS/FG.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 01-21-18 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 02:55 PM
52psi

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Pedals: - 500 points. I am tempted to go to the bottom drawer of my toolbox to retrieve some rusty old screwdrivers so that I can shove them into my eye sockets to end my suffering. I don't care if you already had them in your parts bin (free). I don't care if you prefer large pedals and they function perfectly. I don't care if (like me) you prefer no retention. You wouldn't put a rhinestone covered lavender color collar on a German Shepard would you? It's not just me either. I'm sure the bike is severely depressed or filled with rage and resentment too. Why? Why? Why? This must be remedied for the sake of humanity.
You do have a way with words. And I'm thinking the -500 rather than the -100 I'd expect is a reflexive response to their "designed by Grant Pederson" origins; things escalate in seconds and soon everyone's reaching for their switchblades.

But yeah. Freakin' ugly, aren't they? I'd been looking for something that was Doc Martens friendly but wasn't the crummy bmx pedals I'd always run on my commuter/street bikes, and sort of closed my eyes and hit "buy now" based on many happy riders. That's right. PAID for 'em. And they're exactly what they were supposed to be: heavy, butt-ugly, superfunctional and good to the feet.

But your opinion does carry some weight. If you were going to make a recommendation it would be...?

(And glad you're diggin' the rest of the bike. Thanks.)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-21-18, 03:32 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

You do have a way with words. And I'm thinking the -500 rather than the -100 I'd expect is a reflexive response to their "designed by Grant Pederson" origins; things escalate in seconds and soon everyone's reaching for their switchblades.

But yeah. Freakin' ugly, aren't they? I'd been looking for something that was Doc Martens friendly but wasn't the crummy bmx pedals I'd always run on my commuter/street bikes, and sort of closed my eyes and hit "buy now" based on many happy riders. That's right. PAID for 'em. And they're exactly what they were supposed to be: heavy, butt-ugly, superfunctional and good to the feet.

But your opinion does carry some weight. If you were going to make a recommendation it would be...?

(And glad you're diggin' the rest of the bike. Thanks.)
I just read your thread/posts in the C&V forum. Yep, something soul nourishing and head cleansing about riding single speed. It's just you and the bike and that one ratio. Adapt end enjoy.

As far as the pedals go, it's nothing to do with Grant. It's just a period, or style thing. IMO It'd be equally faux pas to have some modern high tech clipless Jobs on there. At the risk of sounding like a loyalist, I'd recommend something rat-trap-ish since it's a 70s bike. And since you like MKS, they make the perfect pedal. The Sylvan Touring. Biased? Yes I am. But it's the perfect pedal for that bike. If..... it works for your size and grip requirements. I'm a size 13 sneaker wearing type of bicyclist, and they fit and grip very well. Worth a look IMO.

Don't put the gears back on it. It's too right the way it is. The bike is too happy as is. So are you. If you need another geared bike, acquire and build something else. Keep this one as the inner child meditation machine. Your post in the C&V forum screams the exact type of satisfaction one is supposed to experience riding a single speed.
Old 01-21-18, 10:32 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,572 Times in 3,063 Posts
By request, @SquidPuppet.

I unlike Squidward over there like those pedals very much..I have them on my hybrid thing. Yeah sure they may not fit with the bike super well but who cares. The bike is awesome and the pedals aren't totally out of place. I wouldn't ride them fixed (I did fixed platform for a while and wasn't fun)

I hate clipped pedals with a passion. Toe clips and straps can be quite dangerous and complicated A good platform pedal or for foot retention a nice clipless pedal is the way to go. Yes some people have issues but like with most things it is due to poor maintenance or unwillingness to learn.
Old 01-21-18, 11:40 PM
52psi

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Toe clips and straps can be quite dangerous and complicated.
No. You're thinking of industrial waste disposal. Clips and straps rock.

As for these, really they're just plain weird. Like my kids grafted their Minecraft battle axes to the crank arms while I wasn't looking. [MENTION=362748]SquidPuppet[/MENTION] called me out on exactly what needed calling out. They're under my feet and easy to ignore with some practice (oooooo lookit the chrome lugs!) but yeah... other options must be explored. Details matter.

The pedal in question -- MKS Lambda -- appears below. Yep, ugly. End of debate.
Attached Images
volare77lambda.jpg (52.9 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 01-21-18 at 11:47 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-22-18, 01:53 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
nit pick it.
Attached Images
DSC00263.jpg (1.26 MB, 153 views)
Old 01-22-18, 03:20 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
*yawn*
Old 01-22-18, 10:18 AM

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

lambdas rule. turn your slipkings into actual gripkings with a drill and some studs.

that black bike with the red tires looks like a bone stock bikesdirect bike. hard pass.

Last edited by motrheadsroadie; 01-22-18 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-22-18, 10:35 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,572 Times in 3,063 Posts
No. You're thinking of industrial waste disposal. Clips and straps rock.

As for these, really they're just plain weird. Like my kids grafted their Minecraft battle axes to the crank arms while I wasn't looking. @SquidPuppet called me out on exactly what needed calling out. They're under my feet and easy to ignore with some practice (oooooo lookit the chrome lugs!) but yeah... other options must be explored. Details matter.

The pedal in question -- MKS Lambda -- appears below. Yep, ugly. End of debate.
Nope I am thinking of toe clips especially with straps. Hard to get your foot out or super loose and pointless with a strap that could get caught on something. Plus done right you still have a cleat on the bottom of your shoe (nailed on) and that would make it even harder to get out.

MKS Lambdas or Grip Kings are awesome, if you don't want yours I will gladly take them off your hands : )
Old 01-22-18, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Those red tires gotta go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.