Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 09:17 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,495 Times in 6,392 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
The WT guys are doing 100-120 grams of carbs/hour . Pretty sure I'd puke if I tried to do that.
From what I've heard, Mere Mortals can train their guts to tolerate that. Personally, I don't like eating while moving, but then, I'm not racing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-24, 09:20 AM

Liked 9,497 Times in 4,661 Posts
The WT guys are doing 100-120 grams of carbs/hour . Pretty sure I'd puke if I tried to do that.
I could work up to that when I was younger, I don't know about now. When I started doing long rides my stomach had to get used to eating for fueling. Got pretty good at it when touring and eating 6000 calories per day. Still have to be careful not to eat the wrong things when climbing, especially if it's hot.

I can have 1 Clif bar but if I eat 2 it upsets my stomach. Gels, too. I discovered the banana nut muffins years ago when we would go to Angeles Crest a lot. 500 calories and they don't upset my stomach at all.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-27-24, 09:35 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,237 Times in 4,283 Posts
Trying to gradually increase the amount I'm eating on the bike for longer rides. Cause ya know, all the pros are doing it. What I've found so far, is that I'm less drained and depleted after a ride, which is a bonus. Apparently it helps with performance too, haven't noticed that but it certainly isn't a detriment there, that's for sure.

How does this look for a 145 lb athlete on a 3.5 hour spirited z2 ride? There are two bottles with carb/electrolyte mix as well on the TCR.

I'll find out shortly.

Let us know. I know the pros have really amped up their calories on stage races, not sure everyone’s stomach can tolerate that. I have not ever gone over about 80g/hour of carbs but might try extending that as tolerated.
Old 05-27-24, 09:44 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I have noticed, since getting COVID last month, that my blood sugar seems to fall sooner on a ride than I expect. Normally, with one 8 oz Noosa yogurt, I can ride about 32 miles, to my usual stopping point, and not really feel hungry yet, but I eat a package of chews there, because I know I'll feel hungry soon. Then nothing else the rest of the ride.

The last month, by the time I get to about 25 miles, I'm feeling distinctly hungry. So, I've started having a gel at 25 miles, and then the chews at 32, and then often another gel at 50 miles.

Old 05-27-24, 10:47 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I am quite lazy when it comes to cleaning my bike, and have what I call 3 levels of cleaning.

Level 1 is quick: sprinkle bike with hose, spray degreaser on chain/drivetrain, spray off, air dry and lube chain. This is done when bike gets dirty (ride in the rain).

Level 2 is medium: remove chain, hose down, apply degreaser, plus some degreaser/toothbrush action on brakes, chainrings, and cassette. Often done when time to replace chain anyway (see below) done every “few” months.

Level 3 is level 2 plus removal of cassette and maybe even brake calipers and chainrings with deeper cleaning. Done once/year (or every 2 years).

Anyway, I did a level 2 on both the Habanero and the Roubaix today.

Both chains measured out to somewhere a smidge more than 0.5% elongation (I hate the term stretch because it’s wear not stretch), more like 0.6%. Traditionally with 10s chains I would feel comfortable allowing chains to go 0.75%, but I read that narrower 11 (and presumably 12) speed chains should be replaced at 0.5%.

Anyone know if that’s really true, or just a lie forced on us by “Big Chain?”
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-27-24, 10:50 AM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,954 Times in 1,373 Posts
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-27-24, 11:13 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
I am quite lazy when it comes to cleaning my bike, and have what I call 3 levels of cleaning.

Level 1 is quick: sprinkle bike with hose, spray degreaser on chain/drivetrain, spray off, air dry and lube chain. This is done when bike gets dirty (ride in the rain).

Level 2 is medium: remove chain, hose down, apply degreaser, plus some degreaser/toothbrush action on brakes, chainrings, and cassette. Often done when time to replace chain anyway (see below) done every “few” months.

Level 3 is level 2 plus removal of cassette and maybe even brake calipers and chainrings with deeper cleaning. Done once/year (or every 2 years).

Both chains measured out to somewhere a smidge more than 0.5% elongation (I hate the term stretch because it’s wear not stretch), more like 0.6%. Traditionally with 10s chains I would feel comfortable allowing chains to go 0.75%, but I read that narrower 11 (and presumably 12) speed chains should be replaced at 0.5%.

You could always let it go longer and just replace your chain, cassette, and chainrings all at the same time. BIg Cassette and Big Chainring would love you for it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-24, 11:14 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
It's a wonder any of us can sleep at night.

Old 05-27-24, 11:16 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Psychics in General. You'd think they'd know they'll just be deleted.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-24, 11:24 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,049 Times in 4,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
The young stud dropped my ass like a hot light bulb. In the first mile. And while doing a track stand.

But, got to see what a 22 mph pace line feels like!

Thanks for coming over to play Mr. Pilot!
Mojo got Bam-a-lambed! harsh
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-27-24, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 1,978 Times in 1,242 Posts
Blood letting results are in hand. Low platelet count. And leucocytes and another ‘cyte. Dr. appt. tomorrow morning. I planned it like this. I did not, however, plan the low platelet count.
Old 05-27-24, 11:46 AM
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Blood letting results are in hand. Low platelet count. And leucocytes and another ‘cyte. Dr. appt. tomorrow morning. I planned it like this. I did not, however, plan the low platelet count.
I am a closet hematologist so feel free to PM me, important to know details like MCV and differential to know if it’s a big deal or no big deal.
Old 05-27-24, 11:51 AM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,315 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
The young stud dropped my ass like a hot light bulb. In the first mile. And while doing a track stand.

But, got to see what a 22 mph pace line feels like!

Thanks for coming over to play Mr. Pilot!

If it wasn’t for the hills I think we could have kept a nice pace line. The hills Madone would fall way back, and I couldn’t seem to figure out what power to use to go up the hill to keep us together. Fun time, fun roads thanks for getting me off that trainer.

Just went for a second ride. Holy Crap it’s hot out here. I ran out of water super fast and didn’t think I would make it back to the hotel. Always fun to watch your heart rate continue to rise even as your power numbers drop dramatically.
Old 05-27-24, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,315 Times in 2,270 Posts
Oh and the emonda is not a creakmonda. BAD. I really hope it’s the seat, but it does it out of the saddle.
Old 05-27-24, 11:54 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,049 Times in 4,282 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's a wonder any of us can sleep at night.
I'm 930 miles from the Fort Worth location, 1030 from New Braunfels. I feel fine
Old 05-27-24, 12:36 PM

As you may have heard I am terrible with maintenance. I've never measured a chain, don't own the tool. When the chain starts looking bad I'll replace it and deal with the noise as it tries to wear into the old cogs. The last chain went about 12K miles and the cassette had to be at least 20K when I changed them. Also bought a new small ring and put on my best used big ring.

In the past when I tried to just replace the chain and it skipped under power I would buy the rest of the parts. I think I've only broken a chain once on a ride and that was because I did a bad job joining it since I didn't have the Campagnolo tool.

I rarely ride in the rain so I may have washed the bike twice in 12 years. Usually just wipe it with Pledge. When I was still working I rode in the wet more because I couldn't wait for the next dry day. In those days I usually wouldn't clean my bikes until the rains stopped.

As bad as I treat the bikes,, and my cars, it's rare that I have a mechanical. I did grenade a rear wheel 50 miles out when I was using Ksyriums. Took a cab back.
I've been super lucky and have never called for a pick up besides that, and the 3 times I had pedals snap off. Actually I got a ride from someone who was with me each of those times. Just had to wait for them to go get a car.

Had to call AAA once when the timing chain snapped in my old Blazer. It was so noisy people would ask what was wrong with my car. I kept driving it until it quit. Dumb.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-27-24, 12:53 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,840 Times in 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Oh and the emonda is not a creakmonda. BAD. I really hope it’s the seat, but it does it out of the saddle.
I got caught in a downpour a week or so ago and I had a bad leather or plastic type creak the next day. My wife said it was a shoe creak and I thought saddle. Regardless, it’s now gone, thankfully. Sometimes when the natural oil gets washed out of leather and synthetics, there’s really no way to replenish it.

Old 05-27-24, 12:53 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,508 Times in 1,834 Posts
Let us know. I know the pros have really amped up their calories on stage races, not sure everyone’s stomach can tolerate that. I have not ever gone over about 80g/hour of carbs but might try extending that as tolerated.
I took my time getting out the door, so my riding window only permitted 3.25 hrs of pedaling time. Ate everything in the first photo except the nut bar, so yeah maybe 1,000 calories. Felt really good. Did some cat 6 racing in the middle when a triathlete and some excited tag-along roadies were running lights, dodging pedestrians etc. Was fun to let them go and then reel em' in and tighten the screws during the open sections .

Towards the end my legs were feeling a bit sore, but I thought that I would test the waters with a threshold level effort for 10 minutes after the 3 hr mark. Felt great and I had the watts and gas in the tank. This ride leaves me feeling good about SCNCA state champs on the 8th, might be my last "long" ride until then.

Old 05-27-24, 12:54 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,840 Times in 2,199 Posts
For the Trek guys, my new to me RSL bars are like sex or what I remember of it.

Old 05-27-24, 12:57 PM
Not actually Tmonk

For level 1 - I just do a quick hose spray and a wipe. I do molten wax for my chains so I never feel the need to clean the drive train between level 2's.

Level 2 - Mine looks quite like yours and about the same frequency too. I use a big auto sponge for most of it, and then a secondary. more concentrated degreaser solution for the drivetrain. I use a paint brush to apply. I try to do multiple bikes at a time to get more value out of the degreaser.

Level 3 - I simply don't do this.
Old 05-27-24, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by big john;[url=tel:23250854
23250854[/url]]As you may have heard I am terrible with maintenance. I've never measured a chain, don't own the tool. When the chain starts looking bad I'll replace it and deal with the noise as it tries to wear into the old cogs. The last chain went about 12K miles and the cassette had to be at least 20K when I changed them. Also bought a new small ring and put on my best used big ring.

In the past when I tried to just replace the chain and it skipped under power I would buy the rest of the parts. I think I've only broken a chain once on a ride and that was because I did a bad job joining it since I didn't have the Campagnolo tool.

I rarely ride in the rain so I may have washed the bike twice in 12 years. Usually just wipe it with Pledge. When I was still working I rode in the wet more because I couldn't wait for the next dry day. In those days I usually wouldn't clean my bikes until the rains stopped.

As bad as I treat the bikes,, and my cars, it's rare that I have a mechanical. I did grenade a rear wheel 50 miles out when I was using Ksyriums. Took a cab back.
I've been super lucky and have never called for a pick up besides that, and the 3 times I had pedals snap off. Actually I got a ride from someone who was with me each of those times. Just had to wait for them to go get a car.

Had to call AAA once when the timing chain snapped in my old Blazer. It was so noisy people would ask what was wrong with my car. I kept driving it until it quit. Dumb.
This pretty much matches my bike maintenance program. I try to do better with cars.
Old 05-27-24, 01:25 PM
Should Be More Popular

Oh, I forgot my level 4, that’s about once/decade. Remove everything from frame. Wash frame thoroughly. Replace BB and drivetrain (ideally with new parts). I did that for the Habanero 2 years ago, which was at about 75k miles.

I am not sure I will need to do that ever again.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-27-24, 01:33 PM
Not actually Tmonk

OK I think I'm an actual deadhead now. Got most of their songbook in my brain, can probably accompany things on the piano/keys with some sheet music off the cuff. It really helps me to know the melody when playing something new. Man my guitar player must be so proud (it's his influence that's to blame for this).

Had the "Candyman" opening guitar lick in my head for much of my ride today (first ~30s of the video below). Not a bad vibe at all while I'm motoring up and down the coast.

Old 05-27-24, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06
when you find it let me know
I still hope it’s the seat post too, even though I just greased it. I’ll try greasing the entire length. And the attachment points for the seat itself
Chatgpt told me it could be the chain as it enters the chainring. I hadn’t heard of that before.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 05-27-24 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-27-24, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
This pretty much matches my bike maintenance program. I try to do better with cars.
I used to be borderline obsessive with my cars. Wash and wax, detail the engine, etc. Like they say, a good way to ruin a hobby is to make it your profession.
Years of working on cars gave me a disdain for them, and machines in general. I should get over it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.