Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 955 Times in 626 Posts
I've never ridden FMB. I want some good tires for my 2 tubular road bikes.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-19-24, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Liked 143 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I've never ridden FMB. I want some good tires for my 2 tubular road bikes.
I recently got FMB ‘Record’ tubulars, one pair 23mm the other pair 22mm mounted on two wheelsets, for my 70s Motobecane. I ride about 70 miles per week on good roads and I think these tires are absolutely fantastic.

Last edited by Biker Pete; 06-19-24 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-23-24, 09:42 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,131 Times in 1,592 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how old this might be? I seem to have been carrying it as spare on the Cornelo but not sure when or where I aquired it. Looks like it's never even been on a rim.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-23-24, 09:48 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,131 Times in 1,592 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Tubulars will mount just fine on clincher rims - I do this all the time for stretching, but if you just want to keep them inflated that'd work too. I've had the sealant in some old latex tubies seal against themselves when kept flat.
I do that occasionally and I've even ridden a tubular on a clincher im on occasion. There was a time I had to commute all winter from my home in Quincy, MA 10-11 miles to the base so I carried a decent tubular that had been removed for a spare. It was much faster in the cold than trying to wrestle with a new tube. I wouldn't recomend for normal riding but in this case it was expedianet

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 06-23-24, 11:52 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,268 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
I recently got FMB ‘Record’ tubulars, one pair 23mm the other pair 22mm mounted on two wheelsets, for my 70s Motobecane. I ride about 70 miles per week on good roads and I think these tires are absolutely fantastic.
Bianchigirll only you can get away with picturing a "HAMMERHEAD" tubular propped up with box of 9mm ammo.

Can't tell you a dang thing about the tubular.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-23-24, 11:55 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,106 Times in 2,650 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Tubulars will mount just fine on clincher rims - I do this all the time for stretching, but if you just want to keep them inflated that'd work too. I've had the sealant in some old latex tubies seal against themselves when kept flat.
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I do that occasionally and I've even ridden a tubular on a clincher im on occasion. There was a time I had to commute all winter from my home in Quincy, MA 10-11 miles to the base so I carried a decent tubular that had been removed for a spare. It was much faster in the cold than trying to wrestle with a new tube. I wouldn't recomend for normal riding but in this case it was expedianet
The great secret. Tubulars are O-positive. Work with just about any 700c rim. Even 700c rims too destroyed to work with a bead. Those who sneer at tubulars might consider that those "lessor" tires could get them home when nothing in a modern shop would work.

And a story of an epic ride many years ago around Mt Diablo. Epic because we were so unprepared. I didn't do a check to see that everything was in order. My friend was physically unprepared. He knew the roads better than me but health issues had taken a deeper toll than he realized. We were in our 20s. We parked at the Athena School. (He was an alumni.) We rode clockwise. A few miles in, still on the suburban low ground, my spare innertube fell out of my saddlebag, jamming and skidding the rear tire down to the cord. (I was the clincher guy that day; my friend was on the sewups.) I had a patchkit so we continued. The climb up Morgan Territory was hard. Too much for my friend. I assisted the best I could by riding alongside, grabbing his seatpost and pushing. (I'd done this before with my riding partner but she was a very skilled rider and fully understood that she was steering both of us. OMG hard but it worked.) My friend didn't get that he was "our" pilot. Pushing him and managing my own bike was over the top. But my willingness to go that hard got him up the climb. Our day wasn't over. At the high point, the road changed from old Morgan Territory to perfect California pavement. He crashed on the sweeping hairpin. Road rash and bruises. We had nothing for bandages or cleanup and the day was getting late so we pushed on. And my rear tire blew. Took out that tube.

OK, about an hour of light left. Wounded warrior on a sound bike and a still able though tired rider with a useless rear wheel. I suggested the best course was probably for him to give me his rear wheel, me to ride to the school and return with his car and if he wanted, he could put his spare on my wheel. We did the swap. I did a totally focused near time trial - focused because any old flat was going to be a real issue! and the light was going fast. Also, I needed to pay attention shifting. His Campy standard hub and freewheel and my SunTour wheel required different limit screw settings. So a ride ending careless shift was entirely possible! About 2/3rds of the drive back to where I flatted, I met my friend, his tired and battered body riding slowly on my wheel and his spare. He was glad to see me but also glad he didn't have to just stand around and wait - that he could have made it back to school. (But not before dark. He was now on roads he knew so the dark part probably wouldn't have added to the epicness, but still ...)

We still joke about that adventure.

And Quincy, Mass! I grew up in Milton. Other side of and one stop up the Southeast Expressway. Close to Blue Hill, a climb I did many times. Commuted 12 miles year 'round from Milton to close to Fenway Park through Brookline and Goddard Ave on a fix geared and sewupped UO8.
Old 06-23-24, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Liked 152 Times in 90 Posts
Great story!
Old 06-23-24, 11:30 PM

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Liked 317 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The great secret. Tubulars are O-positive. Work with just about any 700c rim. Even 700c rims too destroyed to work with a bead. Those who sneer at tubulars might consider that those "lessor" tires could get them home when nothing in a modern shop would work.
Sadly, I'm unlikely to find anyone else on them in my neck of the woods. I had a recent leaky rear, and found that my spare was defective. (Check your spare especially if it's an old Vitt CX! *) A nice guy offered me a tube, and while I was certainly grateful for the offer, it wouldn't have put me back on the road. Praise be to patient understanding friends who pick your sorry butt up when this stuff happens. I had started walking back after taking off my cycling shoes and socks, and I had gone about two miles when we met up about ten miles out of town, and I stuffed my bike into the back of her jeep.

* I've had several Early Thai Vitt CX sew-ups with the purple tubes have failures near the stem. No clue why,

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 06-24-24 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-25-24, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts
When replacing my clincher tires, I always rotate the front to the rear, discard the old rear tire and install a fresh new tire on the front wheel.

Seems with my sewups (almost exclusively using Conti Sprinters and Sprinter Gatorskins), it ti almost always the rear tire that requires replacing and because gluing is involved I leave the front wheel alone and just replace the sewup on the rear wheel. Not to say that at some point the front sewup just needs to be replaced, but when it looks almost new with great tread and no cuts or damage, I just leave it alone.

Anyone else share my procedure? Have I been doing something wrong for all these years?
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 06-25-24, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 955 Times in 626 Posts
I don't bother swapping tires front to back. Just replace whatever's worn.

Back in the day I did complete overhauls all the time. Now I only do what's absolutely necessary. Too much other stuff going on. I don't mind gluing tires though.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-25-24, 07:55 PM
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Liked 2,394 Times in 1,411 Posts
I have a couple of "tubulars marked "Training". Assuming they are for use on a bike trainer.

If not for that, what are they for? Road training but not racing???
Old 06-25-24, 08:32 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
Sadly, I'm unlikely to find anyone else on them in my neck of the woods. I had a recent leaky rear, and found that my spare was defective. (Check your spare especially if it's an old Vitt CX! *) A nice guy offered me a tube, and while I was certainly grateful for the offer, it wouldn't have put me back on the road. Praise be to patient understanding friends who pick your sorry butt up when this stuff happens. I had started walking back after taking off my cycling shoes and socks, and I had gone about two miles when we met up about ten miles out of town, and I stuffed my bike into the back of her jeep.

* I've had several Early Thai Vitt CX sew-ups with the purple tubes have failures near the stem. No clue why,
As I understand it, Vittoria went through a "teething" process when they took their manufacturing to Asia. Their approach as I understand it was to create a tire factory from scratch and train locals to do the work. Not work with an existing company to make their tires. So ultimately, Vittoria got an outfit where they had full oversight over QC but while their crew was learning how to make high quality bicycle tires with I'm assuming zero related previous experience, it was at times a wild ride for Vittoria. Their green treaded clinchers that made super wet city tires went through a period of beads and sidewalls failing often (mid '00s as I recall).
Old 06-25-24, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by WGB
I have a couple of "tubulars marked "Training". Assuming they are for use on a bike trainer.

If not for that, what are they for? Road training but not racing???
BITD training meant non-racing riding. Long miles, fast club rides. My week day 45 miles before breakfast. Wheels that get tossed in the wheel van for races. My training and race wheels were identical except rims were a step heavier (Arc en Ciel @ 333gm vs Ergals @ 290) and rubber was 300gm Vittoria cottons, not silk Clement Criteriums.

Now, that was mid '70s. "Trainers" did not exist yet. We rode rollers. And they were never caller trainers.

Edit: And yes, tires got demoted from racing to training when they became suspect. You really didn't want to be "that guy" who took out half a dozen when that tire blew on a corner. So that innocent "training" might really be "for gawd's sake, don't put this on a race wheel!!!" in two sylables

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-25-24 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-27-24, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Liked 269 Times in 159 Posts
WGB-
"Training " tubulars were a heavier weight tire used in typical road training. Lighter, latex tubed cottons or silks would be on the lighter race wheels.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 06-27-24, 09:17 AM
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Liked 2,394 Times in 1,411 Posts
Jim
I might just mount that Vittoria set I have, just to use them up.