Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 12:03 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Bell or verbal, using a "warning" as a demand to clear the road so one may maintain their speed or cadence is rude, using them as a request for clearance when others are blocking the way or as alerting others to ones presence isn't.

In Washington its required and often expected on MUTs when passing others.
Fair enough. Is being "alerted" of the presence of every approaching cyclist required or expected by cyclists commuting on the street too?
Old 01-05-15, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Fair enough. Is being "alerted" of the presence of every approaching cyclist required or expected by cyclists commuting on the street too?
I would say normally no, but maybe under certain unusual circumstances yes.
Old 01-05-15, 05:01 PM
^^^ Drafts unicyclists

Bikes: Black Commutocrosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I agree peds have priority on the sidewalk, but not on a MUP. That sort of thinking is part of the problem. Peds need to share the MUP, which means staying to the side generally, and looking around before crossing, not acting like a zombie, and acting predictably. Also, not taking up the entire path as well as keeping dogs close by and under control. The mindset that bikes have to watch out for peds and peds have no responsibility is a dangerous one.
I kept looking for the /snark tag. That sounds almost exactly like a motor vehicle operator speaking about cyclists:

I agree cyclists have priority on the sidewalk, but not on a public roadway. That sort of thinking is part of the problem. Cyclists need to share the public roadway, which means staying to the side generally and.. ..not taking up the entire lane. The mindset that motor vehicle operators have to watch out for cyclists and cyclists have no responsibility is a dangerous one.
Old 01-05-15, 05:26 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,601 Times in 1,081 Posts
I would say normally no, but maybe under certain unusual circumstances yes.
Sure, anything is possible under unusual circumstances.

As an aside, I was riding my normal 11 mile R/T "commute" today to the swimming pool for my daily exercise routine. Streets were icy and snow covered, temperature 7° F. I didn't see any other cyclists, no surprise as I seldom see them even when the weather is good. I was passed by perhaps 100 motorists on the commute, all were driving carefully due to the road conditions, some had to slow down to my speed to wait for a good moment/place to safely pass. Not a dang one blew his horn to announce his presence or that he was about to pass. I was glad that they didn't act like some obnoxious bicycling correctness tweesters forcing a close pass accompanied by yelling or other noise making.
Old 01-05-15, 06:01 PM

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
yelling jargon at pedestrians and other cyclists for the same purpose/intent?
i've certainly been guilty of yelling (and i regret this). fwiw, i now prefer simple polite language: "i'm coming through" and "coming through" and tend to use phrases, such as, "heads up" only when i need to alert someone who is rapidly moving towards me in an oblivious manner. i also pass the vast, vast majority of walkers/runners silently and with plenty of space.
Old 01-05-15, 06:07 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
ILTB:

How old are you?
Old 01-05-15, 06:50 PM

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
I was about to thank you - that's the bell I want! Then I saw the price.
Old 01-05-15, 07:03 PM

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
. . . maniacal dring dringing of loud brass bells . .. . . ..
That pretty much describes my 7 year old. He's got a bell on his bike and his 7 year old fingers are just itching for any excuse to use it. I let him take the lead, and know any pedestrian within an 1/8 of a mile has been "alerted".
Old 01-05-15, 07:17 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
in my experience, bells provoke far more confusion than a polite (e.g. not yelled) on your left, coming through, or heads up.
My experience is different. Never seen anybody get confused when I ring my bell. I've had pedestrians on MUPS and sidewalks thank me for using my bell.
Old 01-05-15, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As an aside, I was riding my normal 11 mile R/T "commute" today to the swimming pool for my daily exercise routine. Streets were icy and snow covered, temperature 7° F. I didn't see any other cyclists, no surprise as I seldom see them even when the weather is good. I was passed by perhaps 100 motorists on the commute, all were driving carefully due to the road conditions, some had to slow down to my speed to wait for a good moment/place to safely pass. Not a dang one blew his horn to announce his presence or that he was about to pass. I was glad that they didn't act like some obnoxious bicycling correctness tweesters forcing a close pass accompanied by yelling or other noise making.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Cool_story_bro_1359.jpeg (19.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-05-15, 08:47 PM

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Bell or verbal, using a "warning" as a demand to clear the road so one may maintain their speed or cadence is rude, using them as a request for clearance when others are blocking the way or as alerting others to ones presence isn't...

i've certainly been guilty of yelling (and i regret this). fwiw, i now prefer simple polite language: "i'm coming through" and "coming through" and tend to use phrases, such as, "heads up" only when i need to alert someone who is rapidly moving towards me in an oblivious manner. i also pass the vast, vast majority of walkers/runners silently and with plenty of space.
To further deconstruct this vitriolic argument, I think that “I’m coming through” or “coming through” are rude, aggressive, and virtually hostile phrases; my neutral phrase to alert is “coming up,” usually though not followed by "please."

Old 01-05-15, 09:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's all just stay inside so as not to offend anyone. Some people might see you on your bike and feel bad about themselves, we wouldn't want that.
Old 01-05-15, 09:31 PM

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
"Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you"

First and foremost is treating commuting like it's a sport. Relax and enjoy the ride. Don't concentrate so much on tour de France type gear, and instead look at countries that have high rates of bicycle commuting. Get a comfortable bike, preferably dutch but about any really will do, and just go.
Old 01-05-15, 10:41 PM

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj

First and foremost is treating commuting like it's a sport. Relax and enjoy the ride. Don't concentrate so much on tour de France type gear, and instead look at countries that have high rates of bicycle commuting. Get a comfortable bike, preferably dutch but about any really will do, and just go.
Why do you assume people on sportier bikes aren't comfortable and that their owners aren't enjoying the ride, or at least getting something out of it that they value? It sounds like something a minivan owner might think about a sports car. In fact, if you really want to relax, just don't ride at all and take a bus.

No offense, but I have no interest in commuting on a Dutch bike. I might feel differently if I lived in the Netherlands and had a 2 mile flat commute. If they work well for other people on other commutes, that's awesome. Some people might even really like Dutch bikes on their 10 mile hilly commutes.

We don't all enjoy the same things in the same degree and that's why it's good to have choices.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-05-15 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 11:02 PM

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

I bet runners piss you off too. All that pointless effort...
Old 01-05-15, 11:54 PM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Why do you assume people on sportier bikes aren't comfortable and that their owners aren't enjoying the ride, or at least getting something out of it that they value? It sounds like something a minivan owner might think about a sports car. In fact, if you really want to relax, just don't ride at all and take a bus.

No offense, but I have no interest in commuting on a Dutch bike. I might feel differently if I lived in the Netherlands and had a 2 mile flat commute. If they work well for other people on other commutes, that's awesome. Some people might even really like Dutch bikes on their 10 mile hilly commutes.

We don't all enjoy the same things in the same degree and that's why it's good to have choices.
I agree with this. One thing that annoys me is people telling me to commute on a specific kind of bike, or get this fender, or why don't you have a bike you can put fenders and a rack on.... leave me alone. I ride what I ride because that is what I want to ride. If I want to set a personal record from light to light for my entire commute, let me do that. You may be out for your casual commute, and I will more than likely pass you, because while it is fun and relaxing for me, it is also a great form of exercise. Part of my commute is just letting it all out and opening it up when I can. I enjoy keeping up with traffic when possible, and passing a car in the lane...that is one of the highlights of my ride.
Old 01-06-15, 12:23 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

i've rented a modern aluminum-frame bike in amsterdam multiple times...and no one gave me any grief.
Old 01-06-15, 02:02 AM

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
This is the proper use of a bell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI
Thanks for posting those, I needed a laugh.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
...leave me alone.
Ah, Rule #1.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have a golden rule of cycling, “Do unto the peds, as you would have the cagers do unto you.”
Do you have a sacred Etch A Sketch too? Speaking of which, here's another message from on high, which I assume is apropos to the most recent discussion. Rule #5 would seem to be the applicable one here. His Eminence must be growing restive:

Last edited by 905; 01-06-15 at 02:44 AM. Reason: His Eminence has clearly been influenced by xkcd.
Old 01-06-15, 04:15 AM

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
Thanks for posting those, I needed a laugh.

Ah, Rule #1.

Do you have a sacred Etch A Sketch too? Speaking of which, here's another message from on high, which I assume is apropos to the most recent discussion. Rule #5 would seem to be the applicable one here. His Eminence must be growing restive:

For those unfamiliar with the real sacred Etch-a-Sketch:

Originally Posted by 905
The Rules compiled by the Velominati have influenced many. They took the cycling world by storm and eventually became a book; if it was adapted to a movie, it would have to star Charlton Heston, if he's still alive [...googling...] ok, Tom Hanks, who doesn't have the desired gravitas but does have experience in film treatments of Dan Brown novels.

The Rules are decidedly old school. You can't just write your own: an authority figure is required to impart them with the necessary stature, as prophets of all persuasions have realized over the years.

BTW, here's a corollary to my Golden Rule of Cycling:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have a golden rule of cycling, “Do unto the peds, as you would have the cagers do unto you.”...

I like your rule.

…cyclists can be especially rude to people (often tourists or out-of-towners) who do not understand the "unwritten" etiquette of having to jump out of the way when someone drings you.
The ability of a cyclist to do damage is intermediate between that of a ped and a cager, but a cyclists’s own safety demands that he/she be the most attentive of the three, and assume the others are jerks.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-06-15 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 06:12 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I agree with this. One thing that annoys me is people telling me to commute on a specific kind of bike, or get this fender, or why don't you have a bike you can put fenders and a rack on.... leave me alone. I ride what I ride because that is what I want to ride. If I want to set a personal record from light to light for my entire commute, let me do that. You may be out for your casual commute, and I will more than likely pass you, because while it is fun and relaxing for me, it is also a great form of exercise. Part of my commute is just letting it all out and opening it up when I can. I enjoy keeping up with traffic when possible, and passing a car in the lane...that is one of the highlights of my ride.
But just think how fun and relaxing it would be passing cyclists and cars on a 50 pound, steel fendered Dutch bike! Seeing that would be the highlight of my ride.
Old 01-06-15, 06:42 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
This thread is reminding me of my middle school days (yes, the 70's) when we would ride into a crowd shouting "no brakes!"
Old 01-06-15, 07:22 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

First and foremost is treating commuting like it's a sport. Relax and enjoy the ride. Don't concentrate so much on tour de France type gear, and instead look at countries that have high rates of bicycle commuting.
Get a comfortable bike, preferably dutch but about any really will do, and just go.
Like this?

And yes, that bike IS comfortable.

Why would you assume it isn't?
Old 01-06-15, 07:49 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally sound off loudly enough to any pedestrian I'm coming up on; 1) if they are moving in less than a straight line and might ease over on me, or if they are in the middle of the path/trail, 2) just to let them know I'm passing because before I started doing that, I noticed how it startled some, especially the older walkers/joggers. Now, on the other hand, if they have their ears crammed full of ear buds/headsets, then if they don't hear me, then if I see them jump as I pass, then so be it.
Old 01-06-15, 08:09 AM
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Sure, anything is possible under unusual circumstances.

I can't wait until the day when my bike is as loud as a car and I won't have to announce my presence to an unaware road user ahead of me.
Old 01-06-15, 08:29 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
I can't wait until the day when my bike is as loud as a car and I won't have to announce my presence to an unaware road user ahead of me.
Your wait is over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.