Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What are you reading?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What are you reading?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 10:24 AM
hmm..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 1/2 way through: The Assassin's Gate by George Packer
Next up: Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty by Bradley Martin, which explains my avatar 100%
Old 01-15-07, 11:00 AM
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
Old 01-15-07, 11:43 AM
Tie me up, Tie me down

Bikes: The Brown Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robert Caro - The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York

The man is a treasure, this was his first book and it won a Pulitzer. I am only reading it so that I don't go crazy waiting for the end of his epic biography of Lyndon B. Johnson which should be required reading for anyone who wants to understand modern American politics.
Old 01-15-07, 12:02 PM
Commuter

Bikes: To many junkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srcurran
just finished: the omnivore's dilemma by michael pollan. It was well written, thought provoking (I would often stop reading to think about what I just read) and had a ton, a ton, of information about four food chains: industrial, industrial organic, sustainable local/beyond organic and hunter/gatherer. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is socially conscious and likes food (even if you aren't necessarily an omnivore).
Word. I bought Botany of Desire in South Station before a train trip and loved it. Granted, I lived on a farm the month before.

I havent gotten a chance to start omnivores dilema.

Old 01-15-07, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Say Me for a Parable: The Oral Autobiography of Mance Lipscomb, Texas Bluesman
Old 01-15-07, 12:31 PM

Bikes: khs flite 100, cannondale r800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrgFarmCY
Word. I bought Botany of Desire in South Station before a train trip and loved it. Granted, I lived on a farm the month before.

I havent gotten a chance to start omnivores dilema.
I plan to read more of his stuff. Though, I am taking a break from reading about food. I am going to tackle a few history books on my queue.
Old 01-15-07, 05:43 PM
Spazzy Member

Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout
i DESPISED the great gatsby. that and catcher and the rye are the two books i hate most. i'd rather read moby dick again (which i actually have to this coming semester).

brave new world is an amazing book.
hmm interesting, i felt the same way after reading the catcher in the rye too! i've never read moby dick, but i'm pretty sure i could find it at goodwill or something. so far i'm enjoying brave new world. it's not as preachy as i thought it might be. it must have been pretty freaky reading when it was first published.
have you ever read who has seen the wind?
Old 01-15-07, 05:48 PM
Gizmo

Bikes: custom Moyer track bike, '94 Bianchi track bike, 99ish Bianchi Reparto Corsa 9speed record/chorus, '81ish Koga Miyata FullPro, '84 trek 720 touring bike, mid-80s Montagner slowly being built w/period campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conrad's The Secret Agent, incredible.
Old 01-15-07, 05:53 PM
you can go backwards?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cien Anos de Soledad (again) by Garcia Marquez

Backwards and Forwards by David Ball

STUPID AMOUNTS OF SHAKESPEARE
Old 01-15-07, 07:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zippered
hmm interesting, i felt the same way after reading the catcher in the rye too! i've never read moby dick, but i'm pretty sure i could find it at goodwill or something. so far i'm enjoying brave new world. it's not as preachy as i thought it might be. it must have been pretty freaky reading when it was first published.
have you ever read who has seen the wind?
"moby dick" seems to be the pinnacle of long, uninteresting, dull books among people i know. i had an english professor last semester who said "melville is probably the most boring author you will ever read." i felt like "catcher in the rye" was just a bunch of angsty teenage bull****; i just wanted to scream at holden to shut up, stop being a *****, and grow up. i never went into "brave new world" thinking it would be "preachy," i went in with mostly an open mind, assuming, if anything, that it would be an orwellian rip-off, but i loved it.
no, i haven't, but i'll definitely add it to the list of books i plan on reading over this summer.
Old 01-15-07, 07:54 PM
Doortrapper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wompwomp
Cien Anos de Soledad (again) by Garcia Marquez
how does that compare to 100 years of solitude?
Old 01-15-07, 08:04 PM
Live Free

Bikes: 1)2005 fuji track 2) 70s Pugh conversion (cruiser style), 1970s Fuji Gran Tourer SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Endgame Vol.1 by Derrick Jensen

for some reason i can't finish this book, i've been at it for months on and off.
Old 01-15-07, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are willing to put in the effort Moby dick is a very good book. i have a few pages of quotes i took from that book in a notebook somewhere. really cool
Old 01-15-07, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatcher
if you are willing to put in the effort Moby dick is a very good book. i have a few pages of quotes i took from that book in a notebook somewhere. really cool
i've "put in the effort" on moby dick; thrice. once more coming up this semester to. it's just very dull, not much happens (or happens over a very extended period of time), and ishmael is one of the most unreliable narrators in a book i have ever read.
Old 01-16-07, 12:41 AM
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, yeah...i've also been reading:

devil in the white city: about chicago's world's fair exposition and a serial killer who found his victims there.

french revolutions: a dude traverses old tour de france routes by himself for fun and has adventures up the ass.

the famine ships: heartwrenching for all the irish out there...about the coffin ships on which irish crossed the atlantic in conditions only a notch above slave ships, and the famine which wiped out a million people in ireland and sent 2 million abroad, only about half of which arrived in the new world alive. hence the famine ships are better known as "coffin ships".

a social history of the bicycle: just started, but freakin' cool. covers topics as wide as early religious acceptance and condemnation of the bicycle, and its part in early womens' liberation movements.

the essential calvin and hobbes: only the greatest comic ever.
Old 01-16-07, 12:49 AM
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srcurran
I plan to read more of his stuff. Though, I am taking a break from reading about food. I am going to tackle a few history books on my queue.
history's a good subject. let me know about good ones. i don't like dry books about dates and numbers...history is a very human thing, and any book that can effectively communicate that is so good in my eyes...
Old 01-16-07, 08:42 AM

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
***** Pow Wow by Eric Paul.
Old 01-16-07, 08:44 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
****ty Spanish literature from the 12-17th centuries. Exams suck. Góngora sucks even more.
Old 01-16-07, 08:51 AM
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I Like Peeing
***** Pow Wow by Eric Paul.
Hahaha. That book (and Arab on Radar in general) might be partly responsible for ending a relationship of mine.
Old 01-16-07, 09:21 AM
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i might learn spanish to fluency just so that I can read Cien Anos de Soledad as Marquez wrote it instead of how somebody translated it. i am wary of translations, because i've read some books in different translations and had completely different experiences. society of the spectacle comes readily to mind...

anyway, i recently read The Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai, which is a moving novel set against the trauma of postcolonial India. I also recently read Perfume, which is the story of an unusual young man in 19th century France, who has an unparalleled sense of smell, and, naturally, uses it for evil. Well done but not fabulous writing; great story. I want to see the movie.
Old 01-16-07, 10:17 AM
Commuter

Bikes: To many junkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
history's a good subject. let me know about good ones. i don't like dry books about dates and numbers...history is a very human thing, and any book that can effectively communicate that is so good in my eyes...

Pickpockets Tale by Timothy Gilfoyle. All sorts of crazy good. I picked it up for my dad since I knew he liked Gotham, and wound up reading it myself.

Its about an orphan who grew up in New York City around 1880. They discern as much as they can about the time from his letters and stories. If you like criminal justice history, it's fantastic.

--Aaron
Old 01-16-07, 10:36 AM
Non parlo italiano.Merda!

Bikes: Nishiki Sports Special (in Portland)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
journey to the end of the night, dark star safari, the world's most dangerous places, introductory russian and italian a self-teaching guide
Old 01-16-07, 11:19 AM
bludd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
colouring books
Old 01-16-07, 11:21 AM

Bikes: n+1

Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stronzo
Conrad's The Secret Agent, incredible.
i'm reading it right now too. It is incredible... Conrad was surely tempted by and wary of anarchism; he does such a great job identifying different strains. And his characters' emotional depth is really amazing.

Also reading Tony Hiss Experience of Place.
Old 01-16-07, 02:04 PM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i might learn spanish to fluency just so that I can read Cien Anos de Soledad as Marquez wrote it instead of how somebody translated it.
Not worth it IMHO. (Haven't read the English translation or the Hungarian for that matter but I'm not exactly fond of the original.)
Now, if you say you want to read some Vargas Llosa, Borges and Horacio Quiroga... that'd be so worth it. All are available in English but that's not the same thing as you say. English Borges translations aren't exactly top notch IMHO so that's a good reason alone. (Pretty crazy that he of all people would suffer this fate.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.