Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel is not that heavy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel is not that heavy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 10:41 AM

Bikes: '77 Traveller III '05 Rockhopper.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got what X-linkedrider said...
77' Schwinn Traveller III that is bone stock 'cept for tires. Scale came in at 32lbs! Including factory rack and fenders.

I'll ride it and follow carfrees advice...

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The weight of my steel bike isn't the problem. It's the weight of one of the carbon components that really hurts on the climbs. I've just got to do something about that thing that sits on the saddle. It doesn't even make a good boat anchor since fat floats.
Old 12-31-10, 10:44 AM
Gouge Away

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lechat
Those are really nice frames. I rode a friends this summer and it's the reason I decided to make an 853 frame my winter project. Came down between a 04 Fuji Roubaix, 99 Lemond Zurich, and an 00 Voodoo Rada. Ended up going with the Rada as it is rarer and made in the USA. The Zurich was hard to pass up. A guy had one about 3 miles from me, mint frame set for $200.
Old 12-31-10, 10:46 AM
Gouge Away

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lectron
Uh...OK....Steel is 7.8xx g/cm^3, kinda end of story, but with paperthin walls, yes it can be light
And...Paperthin walls would be strong enough, but would be prone to dents etc.......
Yeah, not sure how that 12lber would hold up to my fat arse.
Old 12-31-10, 11:07 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1,348 Times in 737 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf
If you replaced his frame with a steel frame + fork that weighed about 5lbs instead of the carbon frame + fork that's 3lbs, you'd have a bike that weighed 16lbs instead of under 14lbs.
^^^This. Several years ago I saw some postings on another forum where Richard Sachs & Dave Kirk both opined that, all other things being equal, the modern steel frames & forks they were building will weigh around 1.5lbs heavier than the equivalent carbon wunderbike from Cervelo or Scott or Trek et al. So yeah, assuming you go for the primo ultralight components, a ~16lb modern steel bike should be trivial to concoct.

Hell, I've got a carbon wunderbike that's around 18lbs; I could lose weight by going with steel!

Now, if only I could find a way to get my 25-year-old steel bike down to 16lbs...
Old 12-31-10, 11:08 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Steel can be very light.
12.4 lbs complete
https://www.englishcycles.com/bikepics/bret/bret.htm
Why do people ride with their saddles like that? Awesome bike but the saddle angle totally Freds it out.
Old 12-31-10, 11:18 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my 1986 Centurion IronMan Master. About 17.5 in this pic, which is pretty close to the weight of my 2006 Giant TCR carbon with training wheels on.

Old 12-31-10, 11:38 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Why do people ride with their saddles like that? Awesome bike but the saddle angle totally Freds it out.
I have been able to fondle English bikes and they are simply beautiful... but besides being real, these steel beauties will cost you a fair bit more than mass produced carbon bike.

Making an ultralight steel bike requires that you use the lightest of light components so matching the weight of a carbon bike means you have to save another 1-2 pounds and at this level a pound will cost you about $1000.00

My Ron Cooper is set up for randonneuring and hits the curb at 21 pounds... it would take very little effort on my part to make it a sub 20 pound bike as all I would need to do is switch to my racing wheels.

As a 531 framed geared bike it weighs the same as my 531 framed fixed gear... it is about as light a steel frame as I have ever handled and both bikes have similar components save for their drive trains.

And after all this it has more to do with the carbon bits that sit on the bike... my Cooper and I hit the curb at less than 165 pounds.
Old 12-31-10, 11:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steel frames aren't that heavy, especially nice ones. Steel forks are.
Old 12-31-10, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle angle + small chainring.

On the plus side, his saddle-to-bar drop is very high, so it cancels out his frediness.
Old 12-31-10, 12:57 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,049 Times in 4,282 Posts
If I had to bend over that far to reach the bars I'd probably tilt my saddle a bit too.
Old 12-31-10, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably went a bit too high with the ISP now he's screwed.
Old 12-31-10, 02:02 PM
DOS

Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by DRietz
I finally broke down and weighed my SOMA. I vowed never to weigh it until I bought a new bike, but I put on a new crankset -- that counts. Ish.

22 pounds with SSC Classics, Tange Prestige frame with carbon fork, and all alloy Campagnolo Centaur. I love it.
That seems heavy to me. By coincidence, I just weighed my new Soma (58cm) this week. It came in at just a hair under 21 lbs with Mavic OPs on ultegra hubs, shimano 105 shifter/derallieurs, and Truvativ alloy crankset. None of these components is particularly light.
Old 12-31-10, 02:10 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we're on the topic of steel, what are the benefits (if any) of a lugged frame over a non-lugged frame? Is it just looks?
Old 12-31-10, 02:13 PM
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If I had to bend over that far to reach the bars I'd probably tilt my saddle a bit too.
try rotating the image until the wheels are parallel with the bottom crop and then see if the drop is as great as you imagined.
Old 12-31-10, 04:03 PM
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
try rotating the image until the wheels are parallel with the bottom crop and then see if the drop is as great as you imagined.

Last edited by Lectron; 12-31-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-31-10, 04:12 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,049 Times in 4,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
I'm an old man. My saddle to bar drop is about 1" or so. Sometimes I think about bringing the bars up to the same level but I'll see if I can last 'til I'm 45 like this.
Old 12-31-10, 04:16 PM
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my drop is 4" and I am 43 racing age.
Old 12-31-10, 04:51 PM

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Kirk
My bike has a steel frame and fork, SRAM group and carbon bars, post and wheels and it weighs 17.5 lbs with pedals. I'm 6'4" so the bike is big (59 seat tube and a sloped 60 top tube). My bike is designed and built to deal with the rough back and dirt roads we find outside of Bozeman MT where I live and it gets beat on pretty hard. The thing that some seem to forget is that the frame only contributes about 25% of the completed bike's weight and it's all the other stuff that makes the biggest difference with regards to overall weight.

I think that for many people the last steel bike that owned was 20 years old and it weighed 22 pounds so in their minds a steel bike weighs 22 lbs. Of course if you took that old bike and decked it out with modern wheels and components it would weigh much, much less. As was pointed very well by Kuf with his list above if you take a 14 pound carbon bike and sub a steel frame that weighs 1 pound more you will end up with a 15 pound bike. You'd have to add 8 pounds to the frame to get it to weigh the 22 pounds that some seem to think all steel bikes weigh. That would be a stiff bike!

I like steel bikes very much but I don't know that I would count myself as a "steel is real" kind of guy. I think steel makes for a great riding bike and it can have a ride quality that is to die for and at the same time carbon and Ti can make for a very good ride. I think it depends more on what the designer/builder does with the material and is less about the material itself.

That's all I got. Happy New Year!

Dave
Now, you're not suggesting umd is ghost-posting through his wife, are you?
Old 12-31-10, 05:00 PM

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Well, most of the weight in bikes is going to come from your components. If you weigh a steel bike from the 70's with all of the original stuff on it like STEEL wheels, old style rubber tires, all steel components and usually a steel or steel cage seat with a heavy rubber (not foam, not comfortable) seat or a heavy leather more comfortable seat on it.

My friends LeTour dropped like 9+ lbs alone just changing from Stock Steel wheels with fairly newer tires to inexpensive aluminum wheels. The rest can add up quickly too.
Really, most of the weight in bikes comes from the rider. The rest is almost irrelevant, especially when you look at the percentages. The importance of bike weight for just about all of us here comes when lifting it up on the roof racks.

I remember a post on here a long, long time ago from someone who had been a pro rider (maybe classic1) who said the weight of bikes he rode wasn't that important.

The cost of really light steel frames lies in the expertise required to braze or weld and post-treat the alloys so they don't become brittle and break. Another issue is the right chainstay and its longevity... if the steel is too thin, they have a habit of breaking. I acquired an old lightweight steel Gitane from an ex-racer that had a broken chainstay with the intention of having it replaced, but never did, mainly because of the metallurgical issues in brazing around the BB and seat stay.
Old 12-31-10, 05:05 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
comfort issues. I have mine set up like that, though I am a total fred with my fenders.
Old 12-31-10, 05:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS
That seems heavy to me. By coincidence, I just weighed my new Soma (58cm) this week. It came in at just a hair under 21 lbs with Mavic OPs on ultegra hubs, shimano 105 shifter/derallieurs, and Truvativ alloy crankset. None of these components is particularly light.
Hm... interesting. I think you and Joe are on to something. It could have been my stupid scale...
Old 12-31-10, 05:19 PM
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I am 6'3" & 210 pounds. My custom IFab Crown Jewel w/steel fork, SRAM Force kit & traditional wheels, 32 F, 36 R weights in at 19.2 pounds.

I've broken frames, stems & wheels, so nothing is scary light on this rig.
Old 12-31-10, 06:25 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by zitter
Since we're on the topic of steel, what are the benefits (if any) of a lugged frame over a non-lugged frame? Is it just looks?
A lugged frame is built using brass or silver braze and this joining technique requires a lower temperature than tig welding so causes less deformation, the tubes used can be lighter since the butt end and the lug are joined (which adds strength), and in the case of the bottom bracket a lugged shell is superior to a shell that is tig welded as again, you are dealing with less heat.

The difference in weight between a lugged and tigged frame is actually very small although a filet brazed or tig welded frame allows for more variances in frame angles.

We filet braze most of our frames but our bottom brackets are always lugged as this just makes a bike stronger where it needs to be strong.

As a mechanic I have seen far more failures in tig welded bottom brackets than I have in lugged shells and failure usually stems from builder error as a tigged bottom bracket should not fail if it was properly constructed... you can often see that a bb shell has been "burned" or cooled incorrectly which causes the steel to become brittle and then it cracks. Lugged shells can crack but this usually stems from a defect in the casting and not because it was over heated.

Repairing a lugged frame is easier as one can heat the joints and remove a damaged tube and replace it whereas when a tigged frame buys the farm it is pretty much 4 pounds of good looking scrap... this is something touring cyclists appreciate as just about anywhere you travel you will be able to find someone with a torch and 1 inch tubes are pretty standard.

It is hard to beat a lugged frame for looks... and well crafted lugs are a point of pride for builders and riders alike but the beauty of a lug has little to do with how well it is joined as that is something you usually cannot see.
Old 12-31-10, 06:31 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The lugwork and construction on my Ron Cooper is what every frame builder should aspire to as although my frame is rather plain (it's a racing frame), it was built by the greatest frame builder alive and his work is second to none.

It was built freehand with no jigs as old school frame builders did this to keep the jig and fixture from drawing heat from the frame which was just another small step in building a better frame. Some other builders like Mercian practiced hearth brazing where the entire frame was heated to brazing temperature in a hearth and then brazed.

It's all in the fill... a perfect lugged frame will have 100% fill of the brazed joints to provide maximum strength and a failure here than cause weakness and failure.

I have a gorgeous hand built Proctor racing frame that had it head lugs fail and once they were separated you could see where the brazing had not been complete... our thought is that it was joined at too low a temperature as it's 753 tubes require a lower temp than regular silver brazed frames.
Old 12-31-10, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the information. I guess I'm glad I got a lugged steel frame on my bike, although it's almost definitely a lower end one, Lugged Reynolds 520 Butted chromoly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.