Old 03-27-17, 11:26 AM
bryroth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Diverge ($$$) vs REI Co-op ARD 1.4: Are these basically the same bike?

Hi all,

It's been a long while since I posted an annoying question to the forum. But I need perspective and am reaching out for some help.

Background

Specialized Diverge vs REI's new bike
          I went into Mike's Bikes on a whim and almost instantly fell in love with the Specialized Diverge Comp. ($2,699)

Then I went to REI for something unrelated and saw the Co-op ARD 1.4. ($2,229 [plus 20% off if I buy soon, and REI gives you what amounts to 10% back in store credit]).

I'm thinking to myself - this is the same bike for cheaper. I would just need to change the gearing a bit and maybe route the cable through the frame of the REI version. I mean, look at them even.

My Questions
          • Is the Specialized frame worth the extra $$?
          • Components are basically the same thing. Carbon frame and 105 group. What am I missing?

Thanks to anybody who can help me decide. It's a big purchase for me and I don't want to buy the cheaper option and miss out on something better. It's just that the less expensive option seems about the same in this case.