Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fenders for 1990 Rockhopper

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I just picked up a 1990 Specialized Rockhopper. I would like to put fenders on it but realized that the mounting hole on the rear brace is oriented up/down, not forward/backwards. I have purchased and attached fenders before, so my initial thought was to just zip tie it... and my 2nd thought was to take the tab on the fender and bend it 90 degrees so that I can use what is available. Does anyone have any insight/suggestions?

Also - I thought about getting one of the simple plastic fenders that just attaches to the seat post or seat stay, but I live in the PNW and want something more robust for the rain. If anyone has used one of those styles in the past in particularly rainy weather with good results I am all ears - recommendations for accompanying front fenders would be appreciated too!
Old 04-28-24, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,926 Times in 2,341 Posts
Poke/drill a hole in the fender where the bolt would have to go to secure the fender there. Rough install the fender and mark along either side of the brake bridge, The hole will go between these marks along the fender's centerline. Use a couple of fender washers (gee, wonder why they are named that...) to sandwich the fender as you install the bolt. Using a button headed bolt will reduce tire rub, if that's an issue.

I have a M5 bolt that i ground down its head to a conical point and insert it into the bridge's boss. This acts as a scratch/scribe to mark the fender hole location. Andy
Old 04-28-24, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by astrein
the mounting hole on the rear brace is oriented up/down, not forward/backwards.
I would not modify the fender or its parts so I can remove them later for another bike.

Create a forward/backwards hole there with a corner mender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mender.jpg (2.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-28-24, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by astrein
Hi all,
I just picked up a 1990 Specialized Rockhopper. I would like to put fenders on it but realized that the mounting hole on the rear brace is oriented up/down, not forward/backwards. I have purchased and attached fenders before, so my initial thought was to just zip tie it... and my 2nd thought was to take the tab on the fender and bend it 90 degrees so that I can use what is available. Does anyone have any insight/suggestions?
I have a bike like that - the fender is fixed by drilling a 5 mm hole and screwing it directly to the threaded hole in the frame, you don't use the adjustable bridge that comes with the fender.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-29-24, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I think that I will look into the corner mender first in order to not modify anything, but will look to drill through the fender if need be.
Old 04-29-24, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
Yup, you just use the mender to adapt the hanger so now you can drop a M5 bolt onto the top female boss.

I would start with using the 2 smallest menders you can find and start there before moving up to bigger ones that you may have to cut.

I'll see if I can find any archive photos of what I've done.
Old 04-29-24, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I would not modify the fender or its parts so I can remove them later for another bike.

Create a forward/backwards hole there with a corner mender.
What a bodge to circumvent something that is intended to make fender mounting neater. A little hole isn't going to make a fender useless on other bikes.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-29-24, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 81 Posts
I have that bridge arrangement on at least three of my bikes. It never occurred to not to cut a small hole in the fender to make use of it.
I mean, it's such a tidy secure arrangement—if I ever wanted to move the fender I could cover the hole, if I felt the need to.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 04-29-24, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
I have that bridge arrangement on at least three of my bikes. It never occurred to not to cut a small hole in the fender to make use of it.
I mean, it's such a tidy secure arrangement—if I ever wanted to move the fender I could cover the hole, if I felt the need to.
I’ve done just this, moved the fender to a different bike and plugged the hole with a small button head bolt and nut.