Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Change dual pivot brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Change dual pivot brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change dual pivot brakes

I want to change my dia comps brs 100 dual pivot brakes with super record dual pivot brakes using the same brake levers
can I do it?

Last edited by Tfranchini; 04-28-24 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-28-24, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Tfranchini
I want to change my dia comps brats 100 dual pivot brakes with super record dual pivot brakes using the same brake levers
can I do if ?
they’ll operate fine - however, remember that Campag calipers don’t have a release lever sometimes necessary for installing/removing wheels with inflated tires. The release is built into the levers, so Campag calipers with non-Campag levers will leave you with no release, which could be an issue.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 04-28-24, 05:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you circumnavigate that issue
Old 04-28-24, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more important question is that
replacing my dia comp brs 100 dual pivot brake calipers
with high quality campagnolo super record dual pivot brake calipers work with my dia comp brake levers
Old 04-28-24, 06:30 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,082 Times in 2,720 Posts
Like it was said above it will work but you don't have the release. If you want to upgrade calipers significantly go with eeBrakes from Cane Creek, the finest rim brakes out there at the moment. If you want better braking with your current set up I would highly recommend the Jagwire Elite Link kit which has really excellent cables and housing (that also happens to be quite lightweight) and getting some SwissStop brake pads and shoes. That will greatly improve your braking without having to replace the calipers and without the release issue of Campy.

Campagnolo does make nice stuff but they kind of have their own eco system that is hard to break into with other manufacturers. To get around the issue you really can't unless you get a lever that has the release on it but in the end if I were doing that I would be running Campagnolo already.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-28-24, 09:58 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5879 Post(s)
Liked 2,724 Times in 1,520 Posts
It's not always an issue. The extent of the problem depends on how much wider than the rim, the tire is.

It also depends on how often you remove wheels, and why. If the wheels stay on except for flats, then just remember to remount the wheel before pumping the tire.

Another solution could be setting the cable so the barrel adjusters are near the top of their usable range. They screw them all the way down to open the brakes, and back up to reset them. Kind of a slow release.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-28-24 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-28-24, 10:10 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
If you are not running brifters, you could simply get Tektro levers. Most, maybe all the current ones come with releases. Good levers and some of us find them very comfortable. Not expensive.
Old 04-29-24, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 281 Posts
I have owned and used almost every model of Campagnolo brakes going back to the 70s. The " high quality Super Record" brakes will not stop you any better than an inexpensive set of Tektros or Dia Compes, which I suspect are the same thing. The dimensions of these brakes are roughly the same, which means the same mechanical advantage, which means same stopping power. The expensive calipers have probably sightly less friction, and higher quality materials, and they are somewhat lighter, but definitely not worth the additional cost. If I had that amount of money to spend on brake calipers, it would be better allocated to better tires and tubes.

That is subject to using good pads and cables and housing.

And you've been notified about the lack of quick release on the Campy calipers. If you have 25mm or larger tires, you probably won't be able to get the wheels out without disconnecting the brake cables from the calipers, a tedious nuisance.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 04-29-24, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want to upgrade calipers significantly go with eeBrakes from Cane Creek, the finest rim brakes out there at the moment.
At $389.99 per caliper with no lever, they should be.
Old 04-29-24, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have owned and used almost every model of Campagnolo brakes going back to the 70s. The " high quality Super Record" brakes will not stop you any better than an inexpensive set of Tektros or Dia Compes, which I suspect are the same thing. The dimensions of these brakes are roughly the same, which means the same mechanical advantage, which means same stopping power. The expensive calipers have probably sightly less friction, and higher quality materials, and they are somewhat lighter, but definitely not worth the additional cost. If I had that amount of money to spend on brake calipers, it would be better allocated to better tires and tubes.

And you've been notified about the lack of quick release on the Campy calipers. If you have 25mm or larger tires, you probably won't be able to get the wheels out without disconnecting the brake cables from the calipers, a tedious nuisance.
I ran into a similar problem when using 25mm tires on 15mm rims - as long as the calipers will span the rims, all you need to do is deflate the tires prior to wheel removal and only reinflate after the wheel is installed. Yes, it’s a PITA, but you get used to the routine. There’s no need to disconnect brake cables, which I would consider a significantly larger issue. That’s not to say I wasn’t very happy when I switched to 17mm rims and the problem resolved itself. Of course, my solution might not be practical with tubeless.

Last edited by 13ollocks; 04-29-24 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-29-24, 08:25 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6279 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,355 Posts
Low tech solution is to deflate the tire before installing or removing wheel. Long ago it's what I did for my cheap bikes that didn't have that release.

It only became a issue when running wide tires on a narrow rim. Having a release on the calipers or brake lever is a much better option.
Old 04-29-24, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

Hear hear. Going to a more expensive dual pivot brakes will not do any miracles. Fix what is wrong with your existing Dia Compe brakes first. In terms of upgrades I would say the best upgrade would be a rim with machined sidewall, properly trued. After that some way to toe-in the brake pads. After that quality brake pads. After that quality brake cables and housing.
Old 04-29-24, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Hear hear. Going to a more expensive dual pivot brakes will not do any miracles. Fix what is wrong with your existing Dia Compe brakes first. In terms of upgrades I would say the best upgrade would be a rim with machined sidewall, properly trued.
Really? You can pretty much do that by sticking abrasive paper to your brake blocks and coasting down a hill. Then clean the rim with IPA. Or just the IPA will probably work fine. Truing doesn't affect brake performance much, apart from letting you set the blocks close. A bulge or dent is a different issue, as it can make the brake snatch.
After that some way to toe-in the brake pads. After that quality brake pads.
Toe-in by bending the caliper arms, or filing the blocks, but quality brake pads are usually adjustable anyway.
After that quality brake cables and housing.
TLDR: clean the rims before fitting quality blocks correctly, and new cables.
Old 04-29-24, 11:10 AM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,409 Times in 2,064 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-CB...izfygCn_IQn2n4
Old 04-29-24, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
The only semi easy way would be to set the cable length adjuster on the caliper so it is almost all of the way out. Leave a little to make your lever adjustments. Then to ease the pads out and permit the wheel to be removed and replaced you screw that adjuster all the way in. Then before riding you adjust it back out to where it was and do a last check of the brake lever movement and friction point.
Likes For BCRider:
Old 04-29-24, 11:20 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,082 Times in 2,720 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
At $389.99 per caliper with no lever, they should be.
They are I have two sets and they weigh nearly nothing (I remember my first pair and pulling out the rear caliper and thinking "oh crap they forgot the caliper" and then hearing it move and was like "oh" but having ridden on them for 6+ years they are fantastic. Extremely expensive but certainly if you can swing it well worth it as it does stop better than other calipers I have tried and they look way cooler too.
Old 04-30-24, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes
They are I have two sets and they weigh nearly nothing (I remember my first pair and pulling out the rear caliper and thinking "oh crap they forgot the caliper" and then hearing it move and was like "oh" but having ridden on them for 6+ years they are fantastic. Extremely expensive but certainly if you can swing it well worth it as it does stop better than other calipers I have tried and they look way cooler too.
I saw them on a bike that visited the LBS; I studied them for several minutes, grokking the linkage. I never imagined the price, figuring perhaps $100 per caliper.
Old 04-30-24, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by grumpus
Really? You can pretty much do that by sticking abrasive paper to your brake blocks and coasting down a hill.
When they said machined sidewalls, I think (not certain) they meant ones with intentional machining grooves running cross or diagonal to pad direction, sorta like from a slightly inclined fly-cutter or insert machining head. I think I've seen rims like that, and also with some sort of ceramic coating (cerakote, like firearms?) I could really use that, my rims are too polished smooth, but also concaved and thus thinning there, I don't want to remove any more metal, even with a small flexible sanding disc.
Old 04-30-24, 09:39 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,807 Posts
Forget the QR-less Campagnolos and get some 7700 or 7800 Dura Ace calipers, SwissStop pads and some compressionless housing and call it a day.
Old 04-30-24, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
When they said machined sidewalls, I think (not certain) they meant ones with intentional machining grooves running cross or diagonal to pad direction, sorta like from a slightly inclined fly-cutter or insert machining head. I think I've seen rims like that, and also with some sort of ceramic coating (cerakote, like firearms?) I could really use that, my rims are too polished smooth, but also concaved and thus thinning there, I don't want to remove any more metal, even with a small flexible sanding disc.
Some rims are skimmed on the braking surface so the coating doesn't interfere with braking, and to make the rim surfaces more precisely parallel, some rims are lightly grooved which increases brake contact area, but not as much as some rims in the 1970s/80s which had the grooves extruded into them. Some trials riders scuff their rims with a coarse grinding disc to increase holding power rather than stopping power.
Ceramic coating makes the treated rim very resistant to abrasion and wet braking is reportedly improved with some processes but it needs special block compounds which tend to wear rapidly, and take a while to bed in. Historically the coating has a tendency to crack and flake after some use, but rim companies have been working on this for decades and newer processes are claimed to be better. Ryde used to offer a process that embedded tungsten carbide particles in the rim, but they seem to have dropped that - apparently mediocre brake performance when wet, as rims polished with wear, was a problem.
Rim brakes make rims a wear item, replacing them is more hassle than swapping out disc rotors, but we lived with that for a century before modern disc brakes.
Old 04-30-24, 01:28 PM

(above) Grumpus, thanks, good info! Tungsten carbide, wow, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someday some rims had embedded diamond dust, as this has become common for some knife sharpening plates, even with mined diamonds, and now, synthetic diamonds have been on the market for years. When I was back in industry, research was looking at diamond coatings in place of chrome plate for high wear applications. I know some zirconia-based coatings are on the market for protecting, of all things, concrete.

I'd love an easy way to restore the hard anodizing on rims (and aluminum cookware). My cheap rims, I think didn't even come with that.
Old 05-01-24, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by grumpus
Rim brakes make rims a wear item, replacing them is more hassle than swapping out disc rotors, but we lived with that for a century before modern disc brakes.
Personally, I would never consider the rims on rim-brake bikes a "wear item," any more than a frame or handlebars are wear items, subject to eventually wearing out with use.

In 10 years as a shop mechanic in three California bike shops, not once did a rim come in that had been so worn by rim brakes that it warranted replacement.
Old 05-01-24, 07:49 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5879 Post(s)
Liked 2,724 Times in 1,520 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Personally, I would never consider the rims on rim-brake bikes a "wear item," any more than a frame or handlebars are wear items, subject to eventually wearing out with use.
+1

I typically ride rims with a wall thickness of 1mm, which is less than the wear allowance of most modern rims.

I've never had rim wear issues even with wheels lasting over 25k miles.

IMO brake/rim wear only matters for mtb and wet weather commuters.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-01-24, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1

I typically ride rims with a wall thickness of 1mm, which is less than the wear allowance of most modern rims.

I've never had rim wear issues even with wheels lasting over 25k miles.

IMO brake/rim wear only matters for mtb and wet weather commuters.
Originally Posted by smd4

In 10 years as a shop mechanic in three California bike shops, not once did a rim come in that had been so worn by rim brakes that it warranted replacement.
You see them all the time in Seattle, where there are both hills and weather. So I would keep my opinions about rims never wearing out to myself. My commuter is showing definite cupping on the front Mavic CX22 rim after 3 years. A 100 pound friend wore right through her Mavic carbon rim.

Rim brakes rims are a wear item. Spokes are not.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-01-24, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kontact
You see them all the time in Seattle, where there are both hills and weather. So I would keep my opinions about rims never wearing out to myself.
Who are you, the Forum police? I will unequivocally express my opinion on any subject at any time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.