Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old clown bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Old clown bike.

This beast showed up in a recent bike drive by a Rotary Club. It's labeled "Built by D. Adams ....Minneapolis Minn." We think it's a clown bike, but pretty old. I haven't found a match with a google image search.
Any wild guesses about value? Know of a museum that might want it? Any history on the maker?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

fred

Likes For rcommbikes:
Old 04-28-24, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
While I know absolutely nothing about clown bikes...methinks this may be more of an exhibition, or circus bike. The reinforced seat suggests that more than one person might be on the bike at a time. The address 2946 Nicollet Avenue was the site of a stucco house built in 2015, then used as a photo developement shop in the thirties. Now it is an empty lot next to the below grade railroad. I suspect it was demolished for the rail route, but just guessing.

Here's a pic of a circus act with their bike. Note the matching construction details where the tubes (pipe?) were joined, and the front fork and handlebar similarities:
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 04-29-24, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 371 Posts
The external pegs on the axles may indicate standing points, though they are very small. The vertical head tube angle may indicate a desire for the handlebars to stay perfectly level when turned (for standing or inverted acrobatics?). Zero fork trail may have been intentional, or simply a result of the above. I wonder if a fixed gear, or freewheeling hub.
Old 04-29-24, 06:20 AM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 2,397 Times in 897 Posts
Use cases…

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 04-29-24, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 987 Posts
Artistic cycling:
Old 04-30-24, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by thinktubes
I didn't even know this was a thing. That's astounding. Well my guesses of fixie and zero fork offset were right (although I hadn't guessed completely reversing the fork, makes sense). Looks like she is also running a belt drive for smoothness. Geez, it makes Olympic figure skating look easy. And she's only ONE of the competitors.
Old 05-01-24, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 81 Posts
Contact a museum in Minneapolis , to see if they have any info.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 05-02-24, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 643 Posts
Fixed gear trick riding was some what big at one time but is now pretty much a lost art form.
Old 05-02-24, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Fixed gear trick riding was some what big at one time but is now pretty much a lost art form.
One of the videos above seems '60s or '70s, but the other is 2017, so looks like still appreciated in Europe. Like biathlon. Also, like figure skating, looks like competitors have really upped their game in the ensuing decades.
Old 05-02-24, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
A real clown would laugh hysterically and give you a pie in the face for it. And that's if he's good! The evil kind would ... not be as generous. So I suggest selling to some other profession.
Well it beat my first thought as circus bear bike due to the frame strength, though I immediately recognized that the inseam and standover heights are too long. See first paragraph for circus bear bike reference (and a truly great 2010 article about folding bikes):

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...lding-bicycle/
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 05-02-24, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Looks pretty difficult. And yet the 2024 Summer Olympics (tm) will feature, for the first time, breakdancing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brea...ummer_Olympics

Not knocking it, but with the limited venues and bandwith for events, bicycle acrobatics would peak my interest. But yes, breakdancing has wider appeal for young folks, which is why they put it in the events.