Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheels with Rim Brakes - Obsolete?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Wheels with Rim Brakes - Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 06:05 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Liked 2,128 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The weight penalty is definitely shrinking, but for the same dollars, the comparable disc brake bike is still heavier. And at the pointy end it’s hard to get a 12-13lb disc brake bike.

That said, given where the market has gone, assuming you’re going to own the bike for awhile, I would definitely go disc for future compatibility alone.
This ^

I passed on upgrading my wheels to carbon, didn’t want to deal with carbon pads, less braking performance, etc…. I can see carbon rims with disc on a bike designed for it. Makes sense with disc brakes, wouldn’t spend the money with a rim brake bike.
Old 04-28-24, 07:58 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,584 Times in 4,229 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
It's a tradeoff. On one hand, there might be potential buyers who specifically have a problem with tubular solutions, on the other hand there are far more tubular CF wheelsets being offered for a considerably lower price and of much higher value.
I can't think of a single person i have ridden with over the last 5 years that I can say would want tubular wheels instead of clinchers. This includes periodic cyclists, enthusiast cyclists, and regionally competitive cyclists.

Not a single one.

I would view a road bike with tubular carbon wheels as a worse value compared to the exact bike with non-name generic $200 new cost aluminum clinchers. Even if both were the same price, I would want the cheap alloy clinchers. So if the carbon tubular bike cost more?...well that'd be tough to view as any sort of value.

But hey- that's just me and who I ride with. Maybe your area has a bunch of roadies that want tubular carbon wheels.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-29-24, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I can't think of a single person i have ridden with over the last 5 years that I can say would want tubular wheels instead of clinchers. This includes periodic cyclists, enthusiast cyclists, and regionally competitive cyclists.

Not a single one.

I would view a road bike with tubular carbon wheels as a worse value compared to the exact bike with non-name generic $200 new cost aluminum clinchers. Even if both were the same price, I would want the cheap alloy clinchers. So if the carbon tubular bike cost more?...well that'd be tough to view as any sort of value.

But hey- that's just me and who I ride with. Maybe your area has a bunch of roadies that want tubular carbon wheels.
The majority of frequent buyers on that platform probably don't know about the difference between tubular and clincher, that is why it's not my primary concern. They want high depth carbon wheels, that's what's selling.

But I'll take your advice and keep in mind that the spectrum of more educated buyers could be expanded by choosing tubeless or clincher.

My goal with this has been to invest the lowest possible amount of money while achieving maximum value. The ALR 5 with 300 series 2kg Alu frame, some nice CF wheels and minor upgrades will achieve that, hopefully.

I don't even know who started this tubular debate anyway, 85% of the wheels I posted here were clincher or tubless.

I just negotiated some more. Leaning towards the Princeton a little because the seller would include new tyres, rear Hub and a new, matching M5100 Casette.

Lambda Racing 55mm - 220€

Princeton Peak 45/50mm - 480€

Lightweight Meilenstein 40mm - 470€

Corima 32 MCC S 40mm - 650€

Old 04-29-24, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The weight penalty is definitely shrinking, but for the same dollars, the comparable disc brake bike is still heavier. And at the pointy end it’s hard to get a 12-13lb disc brake bike.

That said, given where the market has gone, assuming you’re going to own the bike for awhile, I would definitely go disc for future compatibility alone.
I agree but this is where the debate of, does weight really matter comes in and what benefit is there to a 12lb-13lb bike? I own an Aethos Fact 10r and even at 14.6lbs with pedals, cages, and mounts I will say that's kind of the lightest I would go because anything lower stiffness, aero profiles, and sometimes even lack of durability comes into play. IMO the fact that a semi aero all around race bike in the Tarmac SL 8 now can weigh 15lbs stock is insane and really puts the nail in the coffin for rim brakes for me. I think rim brake bikes are fine but if you are dealing with carbon wheels I would say they are pointless. The idea of delamination or frankly just wearing down a rim little by little from a safety perspective is insane and that's all to say rim brakes while in perfect conditions can be very good, once you add dust or water they suck. Listen hydraulic brakes are no walk in the park, I can go on and on about rotor rub, rotor and pad contamination, the cost of bleeding brakes, and the hassle of hydraulics with integrated cockpits but in the end of the day they simply are better. Again don't go and throw-out your rim brake bike but if you are buying new, rm brakes wouldn't even cross my mind
Old 04-29-24, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
On a Mountain Bike disk brakes make sense, and I would even go so far as to say they're indispensable.
With a Road Bike I'd want disk brakes when riding in the city where you're constantly stopping, sometimes quite abruptly. Especially, with CF wheels.
However, I don't really see the point when you're just riding on designated bike paths and roads for training.
You are right it really depends on what type of riding you are doing that's why I will never say rim brakes have no place in modern bikes, however maybe this is just consumer anxiety but I hate the idea that if I only road flat bike paths that I would find myself in a situation where if a rim brake bike was my only bike that it would be suboptimal for descents on high elation rides or for winter or wet riding. IMO rim brakes are like FWD cars, yeah they are cheaper and lighter than AWD cars and most people only need FWD and people skilled enough can get by with FWD or rim brakes, however AWD or disc brakes for bikes is great when you need it and maybe you only need it on 10% of your rides but I'd rather have disc brakes racing down a hill at 45 mph as my rotors heat up and not my carbon wheel, but that's just me

Last edited by Jrasero; 04-30-24 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 04-29-24, 01:51 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

The majority of frequent buyers on that platform probably don't know about the difference between tubular and clincher, that is why it's not my primary concern. They want high depth carbon wheels, that's what's selling.
If someone doesnt know the difference between tubular and clincher, then all the more reason why they should have clincher wheels- they have no business being on tubulars and dont know the costs/effort to maintain nor how to do it.
But you do you.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-29-24, 02:32 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,829 Posts
Beyond this thread, we have Larry who unwittingly got suckered into tubulars. Also a guy I used to ride with. I expect it's not unusual.
Old 04-29-24, 02:59 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 1,519 Times in 1,052 Posts
It sounds like the plan is to flip this bike on a platform that caters to poseurs.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-29-24, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3983 Post(s)
Liked 7,434 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
It sounds like the plan is to flip this bike on a platform that caters to poseurs.
Poseurs or newbs. He seems to be interested only in maximizing his profit, even if it means hoodwinking some unsuspecting buyer.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-29-24, 05:37 PM
Expired Member

People will do what they feel necessary to make ends meet. I'm thankful I never had to make that particular compromise.
Old 04-29-24, 07:22 PM

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 269 Posts
On my Emonda ALR 5 (2018) with rim brakes and 58cm frame height, I can fit 28mm tires no problem. The previous owner had installed them and there's about 3 - 4mm of clearance between the tire and the fork. It's a tight fit, but it works. And this ALR 5 is almost 6.5 years old.

I think reasonably new race/road bikes with rim brakes have frames that can support it.
It’s a Elmonda. Take a look at the Bontrager Aeolus 5s.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ode=black_grey
Old 04-29-24, 11:09 PM

If someone doesnt know the difference between tubular and clincher, then all the more reason why they should have clincher wheels- they have no business being on tubulars and dont know the costs/effort to maintain nor how to do it.
But you do you.
Possibly, but it's not my job to inform a buyer which wheel/tyre combo might be more convenient to maintain.
The components need to be consistent with my description of them, thus functional and in good condition.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
High depth CF wheels are in high demand, especially with people buying their first road bike.
Particularly on these kind of online platforms, the thicker the wheel the faster the sale.
Who cares why they buy them, the market dictates.
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
It’s a Elmonda. Take a look at the Bontrager Aeolus 5s.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ode=black_grey
Those look extremely nice. How are they only $540 new?
Old 04-30-24, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 11,144 Times in 4,755 Posts
But you do you.
Possibly, but it's not my job to inform a buyer which wheel/tyre combo might be more convenient to maintain.
So you'll happily sell this bike to a novice who has no experience with tubular wheels and tires, and not even mention that these are different than clinchers?

You're not ethical.
Old 04-30-24, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote
So you'll happily sell this bike to a novice who has no experience with tubular wheels and tires, and not even mention that these are different than clinchers?

You're not ethical.
I am selling this bike with a complete and comprehensive list of components, including the tires and wheelset.
Whether the buyer understands the intricacies of tubular tire maintenance is neither my concern nor my responsibility.
This is a sales platform not a forum, obviously it is expected that you research certain parts before buying them, especially if you're a novice.
Old 04-30-24, 10:48 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 3,256 Times in 1,710 Posts
I am selling this bike with a complete and comprehensive list of components, including the tires and wheelset.
Whether the buyer understands the intricacies of tubular tire maintenance is neither my concern nor my responsibility.
This is a sales platform not a forum, obviously it is expected that you research certain parts before buying them, especially if you're a novice.
Hey just a small pro tip, a lot of models had otherwise equivalent wheelsets in clincher/tubular offerings, minus the rims of course. It could be a nice courtesy for you to explicitly mention that the rims are tubular.
Old 04-30-24, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TMonk
It could be a nice courtesy for you to explicitly mention that the rims are tubular.
I am, of course.
All parts are carefully listed, that goes without saying.

I think the contention made by some of the other posters here is that I have an obligation to explain to a potential buyer why tubular tires might be more challenging to maintain than other solutions, which I certainly do not.
As a seller it is my job to denote all the components of this bike and the state they're in.
Who ends up buying it and what level of research they've done about individual parts is obviously not my responsibility.
Likes For 2muchroad:
Old 04-30-24, 11:10 AM

I am, of course.
All parts are carefully listed, that goes without saying.

I think the contention made by some of the other posters here is that I have an obligation to explain to a potential buyer why tubular tires might be more challenging to maintain than other solutions, which I certainly do not.
As a seller it is my job to denote all the components of this bike and the state they're in.
Who ends up buying it and what level of research they've done about individual parts is obviously not my responsibility.
It'd be considerate of you to mention to a prospective buyer, "Hey, these are tubular wheels...Do you know what that means?" After all, tubular wheels have not been common for many decades now; the sorts of novices who are most likely to respond to your ad might think that "tubular" means that they take inner tubes.
Old 04-30-24, 11:22 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,832 Posts
I was this many years old today when I learned that "bike flipper" was a thing.

I'm a little sadder today.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-30-24, 11:29 AM

It'd be considerate of you to mention to a prospective buyer, "Hey, these are tubular wheels...Do you know what that means?" After all, tubular wheels have not been common for many decades now; the sorts of novices who are most likely to respond to your ad might think that "tubular" means that they take inner tubes.
That is not my responsibility. The fact that the tires are tubular would be clearly listed in the description. It is a forgone conclusion that any buyer expressing an interest in the bike would also be aware of said list.
I don't know if you've ever sold anything, but you choose not to read the terms of service at your peril. Conducting the appropriate research and carefully reading the terms is your responsibility alone.
Old 04-30-24, 11:54 AM
Sunshine

That is not my responsibility.
You have made that clear.
And I agree it isnt your responsibility. Sometimes we do things even though they arent our specific responsibility. For example, you are listing out every component even though that isnt your responsibility. You are going beyond what you are responsible for doing when you list components.
So claiming 'that isnt my responsibility' when you are already doing things that arent your responsibility is...well its pretty meaningless.

Just say whats real here- you recognize tubular wheels wouldnt be a selling point to most who know what tubular wheels are, so you dont want to draw more attention to it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-30-24, 12:24 PM

For example, you are listing out every component even though that isnt your responsibility.
You are going beyond what you are responsible for doing when you list components.
So claiming 'that isnt my responsibility' when you are already doing things that arent your responsibility is...well its pretty meaningless
The platform's terms of service require that sellers list any and all bike components individually.
But I would do this even if it weren't required, in the interest of full disclosure.
That has nothing to do with responsibility, it's a sensible thing to do.

However, confronting any potential buyer about an aspect of the bicycle which functions properly but may be considered undesirable by some is obviously idiotic.
There are countless bike parts which are liked or disliked for various reasons. Are you going to tell each buyer about those too? Clearly the premise of your argument is illogical.
Just say whats real here- you recognize tubular wheels wouldnt be a selling point to most who know what tubular wheels are, so you dont want to draw more attention to it.
That may or may not be the case, all I'm saying is that I don't have to draw attention to anything that is in working order.
Read the terms, that's why they're there.
Old 04-30-24, 12:26 PM
Expired Member

In the US we call it the Used Car Salesman Code of Ethics. People reveal embarrassing stuff so eagerly on the internet.
Old 04-30-24, 01:09 PM

However, confronting any potential buyer about an aspect of the bicycle which functions properly but may be considered undesirable by some is obviously idiotic.

Yes, definitely idiotic, because it would prevent you from profiting off of someone's inexperience.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-30-24, 02:06 PM

Yes, definitely idiotic, because it would prevent you from profiting off of someone's inexperience.
There is a description listing all components clearly visible in every ad, you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I might be going with the Swiss after all. The seller went down to 400€ and agreed to replace the rear hub bearings. Ultegra cassette 11-32 included, but the stock one is in better condition.
Initially, the whole Chinese rebrand story deterred me, but it turns out that was in fact a different model. I like the color scheme which will go great with the ALR 5's grey/black frame. I'm also replacing the Shimano 105 crank with a carbon one, so that will look nice together. They weigh about 1.5kg without tires. The bike would be just around 8 - 9kg fully assembled. Last thing I'll switch is the saddle for a carbon one I got laying around.

Old 04-30-24, 05:19 PM

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 269 Posts
The components need to be consistent with my description of them, thus functional and in good condition.

High depth CF wheels are in high demand, especially with people buying their first road bike.
Particularly on these kind of online platforms, the thicker the wheel the faster the sale.
Who cares why they buy them, the market dictates.

Those look extremely nice. How are they only $540 new?
I think that is for the front wheel. Also for the 5 I saw you'd have to hunt for them at a shop. The Trek site allows one to search shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.