Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Breakfast in the morning?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-28-04, 09:29 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I wake up at 7:15 and don't really get up and going until 7:30, then breakfast takes me 15-20 minutes and I'm out the door by 8. But in the winter, it's cold in my room and I feel sluggish, don't want to get up, etc, and I have no appetite. I ended up having one slice of toast with some peanut butter and that was it for me this morning.
What do you guys usually have for breakfast? It's not like I can load up on carbs 2 hours before and mash it out on my ride.
Old 10-28-04, 09:32 AM
Minneapolis

Bikes: 1998 Stumpjumper Pro, SE Draft, 1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS, Civia Loring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CoCo Puffs with half and half at 5:30, Coffee at 6, on the bike by 6:55, at work by 7:30. Then a banana pancake at the cafeteria around 9....yum.
Old 10-28-04, 09:33 AM
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a soy protein shake and a slice of toast with peanut butter. get to work and have an apple, coffee and glass of water.
Old 10-28-04, 09:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually don't eat breakfast, but I do snack or atleast something when I get to work. For some reason 10 miles on an empty stomach is easy in the morning, but if I don't have food in the afternoon it makes a huge difference on the ride home.
Old 10-28-04, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Norco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up at 6:00

Glass of water before I leave to hydrate

Gone by 6:25

At work by 7:10

Cleaned up at desk by 7:30

Drink another glass of water. Drink a protein shake, eat a piece of fruit, + something else. Something else includes granola bars, hardboiled eggs (just the whites), muffin etc. All of these items are "finger food" which I can eat at my desk.

Other reason I don't eat before I go is I read (I don't know where) that when you exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach since their is no fuel in your system your body burns more fat in order to obtain fuel.
Old 10-28-04, 09:46 AM
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oatmeal! Best way to stay warm and fuelled in the wintertime. Quaker even has some for those with a "sweeter" tooth.
Old 10-28-04, 09:52 AM

Bikes: On-one Inbred, On-one Il Pompino & Shonky Singlespeed hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pint of fruit juice and a cup of coffee and I'm all set for my 1 hour ride to work.

If it gets really cold in the winter I sometimes have a bowl of porridge with honey to get me going.
Old 10-28-04, 09:56 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by westman2003
Other reason I don't eat before I go is I read (I don't know where) that when you exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach since their is no fuel in your system your body burns more fat in order to obtain fuel.
Is that true? But I'm low-fat, I'll die..
Old 10-28-04, 10:02 AM
Virtulized geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last I heard the theory on working out on an empty stomach wasn't true. But that seems to depend on who you talk to. I did find this article. I personally don't do it (I used to) because I'll be concentrating more on what I'd like to eat than the workout (and with so many bakeries along my route it's rather distracting)
Old 10-28-04, 10:05 AM
Fatman on a little bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read that it does burn fat, but also muscle (Men's Health). Buy some Cliff Bars and have one in the morning before you leave, and pack something to have at work.
Old 10-28-04, 10:05 AM

Bikes: Norco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea if the empty stomach theory is true. I read it once but there are all kinds of zany theories out there so who knows.
Old 10-28-04, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no morning person, so no breakfast for me. I think my first caloric intake is bottle of soda. I guess the first solid food comes at lunch with again a bottle of soda. Come to think about it maybe its the soda that keeps me going.
Old 10-28-04, 10:48 AM
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carob soymilk, yogurt with fruit, banana if I have any. then cookies when I get to work. And I am still getting smaller and losing weight...
I read the opposite, if you eat FIRST then exercise, then you burn fat rather than muscle... If you are starving your body breaks down muscle for fuel...
Old 10-28-04, 10:53 AM
Capt Sensible

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Cramerroti 650C

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The following is from a runner's world article on "fat burning" exercise:

"Once a month, wait 3 hours after eating dinner, then run for 60 minutes at 75 percent of your MHR. The next morning, before breakfast, run another hour at 75 percent of MHR. The morning run will force your carbohydrate-depleted body to burn extra fat."

The complete article can be found at:

https://www.runnersworld.com/article/...5-0-628,00.htm

I'd be interested to hear an opinion from a doctor or sports physiologist on this subject.
Old 10-28-04, 11:03 AM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Home-made vegetarian Split pea soup this morning. About 1-1/2 cups, not real thick. Stays with me for a long time, low fat. This was probably the best batch of split pea soup I've ever made. . .

Or 1 piece plain toast w/ a poached egg cut up on top of it, with salt and fresh-ground pepper.

1/2 cup rice toasted in a hot pan with a little fat of my choice (olive oil, butter or bacon-fat) then scrambled with an egg. Sometimes I toss in a little chopped green onion just before the egg sets.

Less is more if I am planning on riding real soon after breakfast.
Old 10-28-04, 11:08 AM
Guy with bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually have some waffles and fake sausage for breakfast. Sometimes a bowl of Kashi GoLean and soymilk instead. Always a glass of water. Then at work I'll drink some more water and much on stuff... trail mix, luna bars (yea, yea, for women, whatever, they're good), yogurt cup, fruit.
Old 10-28-04, 11:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 cup of Oatmeal.
Old 10-28-04, 11:51 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good god, you people are healthy. The only thing that stirs my appetite in the morning is a cheese burger.
Old 10-28-04, 11:58 AM
Virtulized geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good god, you people are healthy. The only thing that stirs my appetite in the morning is a cheese burger.
So have a cheeseburger. I have the oatmeal because it has staying power and is really quick to make (2 mins to make, 5 mins to eat -- it'd be faster if it wasn't so hot). What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others.
Old 10-28-04, 12:01 PM
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i have leftovers from the night before usually. it makes for an odd breakfast sometimes, but i don't mind having chinese food or pizza in the morning. sometimes i have to skip it all together and just grab a bagel on the way to work.
Old 10-28-04, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to never eat breakfast. I find eating it makes me feel better after riding. I do it pretty quick, here are some I do. Microwaved Oatmeal with some wheat germ and fruit. Toasted English muffin with cottage cheese and fruit. Granola cerial with wheat germ and some almonds. Bagle with peanut butter and wheat germ or sometimes lowfat veggi cream cheese.
Old 10-28-04, 12:30 PM
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to eat either a small or large bowl of cereal about 25-35 minutes prior to leaving. If I'm out of that, I'll try juice. Some days I'm stuck going hungry with a clif bar in the bag to fall back on. For me it's only a 45 minute ride, so I don't seem to need extra fuel other than what's already in the blood.
Old 10-28-04, 12:33 PM
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colinm
CoCo Puffs with half and half at 5:30, Coffee at 6, on the bike by 6:55, at work by 7:30. Then a banana pancake at the cafeteria around 9....yum.
Some would disagree, but that sounds yummy. I haven't had half and half since I was a child. My dad would eat cornbread crumbled up in buttermilk for breakfast and sometimes lunch or dinner!

I usually eat a processed breakfast bar and lots of coffee.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 10-28-04, 12:45 PM
whatever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
What do you guys usually have for breakfast? It's not like I can load up on carbs 2 hours before and mash it out on my ride.
Nothing at home. Then, at work, two scrambled eggs, three pieces of bacon, two slices of toast, a pile of hashed browns, and a small cup of tea.

What the **** is carob?!
Old 10-28-04, 12:45 PM
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burbon..Ahh I mean 2.5 cups of coffee and a banana. It's only 14 miles/46 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.