Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chicago ride - an accident, cursed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chicago ride - an accident, cursed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 02:43 PM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We started off in good spirits. We congregated at the Thorndale Red Line stop where Al5 and Jenny were getting people to fill out surveys concerning community Gardens, part of Jenny’s thesis. The riders assembled: Fugazi Dave, Stickerguy, Skitbraviking, Cyclorat, [ 165 ] and me. A flat and a slow leak were fixed and we headed south to Argyle. A stop in at Ba Le for some banh mi sandwiches and beverage and we made another stop off at Urban Bikes in Uptown. Picked up a few things and looked around. We were off again, terrorizing the streets and irking drivers. While on Broadway we lost [ 165 ] and Skitbraviking. They pulled out as the four of us headed south, with the Handlebar as the final destination for some R & R.

Cyclorat was pulling point with me closely behind followed by Fugazi Dave and Stickerguy. The two of us pulled through a three street intersection lights not in our favour. Fugazi Dave and Stickerguy were behind waiting for the green and I looked back, and then again shortly after.

The second time emitted a “****” from my mouth as I felt a cool shiver run down my spine. In a brief glimpse I saw a cab, a bike fly in the air and that “thud”. I’ve never gotten used to hearing the thud of an accident, or the screeching of rubber. As I doubled back, Cyclorat following suit, I saw Stickerguy was up and a small Lincoln Park contingent had gathered. The cab was blocking my view. Fugazi Dave wasn’t on his feet. With great trepidation and afraid to see what might be around the corner I pulled up.

I saw the bike first, the front tire warped. I saw no blood on the ground. The frame, bent in two places. “Percival”, Fugazi Dave’s current sticker on the frame stared back at me as I found a line of sight to Fugazi Dave himself. He was sitting, knees arched, feet on the ground. Everyone was asking if he was okay. He was stunned, a little bit in shock. He got up, he insisted he was okay. The cab driver was up and asking too.

Cyclorat made the call to clear the street and get everything off the ground and to the side. We gathered at a corner. I remembered to breathe at this point, a mixture of disgust, relief and a bad vibe hitting me all at once. We kept checking in with Fugazi Dave, who was responding well. The cabbie was a good guy -- he pulled his cab over and talked with us, completely upfront, caring and claimed responsibility. I was surprised. I was glad. I didn’t want this to degenerate into a fight, an argument, a disagreement. The parties were handling this like adults.

We stood there on the corner, discussing what just happened as an ambulance came by and left when Fugazi Dave said he was fine, a cop came and filled us in. Fugazi Dave went to handle some business and we stood there talking, recounting. He came back, locked his bike up and left for the police station to file a report, the cabbie taking him. It sounds twisted in a way but it seems right too. Somehow, this didn't end up with anyone hurt and with anyone slinking off. We can count our stars tonight. The four of us said our farewells and headed off, the ride ended but planning to do it again anyway.

(I also took photos of the broken Percival, 'tis sad. Will post later - Dave will probably recount the experience too - glad you're okay - and I got that frame for you if you want it).
Old 08-21-04, 03:01 PM
Me vs. The Rain

Bikes: Lugged steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn.

That is never something you can get used to, but the fact that things were able to be resolved in a civil manner should help to smooth out the pain.

I always have a little twinge when a car gets too close, remembering the crashes I and others have had. It takes some time to regain your full confidence in riding again. I am very thankful that no one got hurt, especially with the seemingly unending news of "cyclist killed..." that we hear all too often.

Keep on the upside, maybe set up a white bike at the spot, and remember that now F.D. gets to start on a new project.

-Pete
Old 08-21-04, 03:36 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah....that really sucked. The worst part of it actually came after the accident, though. The police officer that showed up at the scene was pretty cool. We talked and the cabbie and I agreed to go down to the police station together. I lock up my bike, I go with the cabbie to the station. We go in, and are immediately confronted by an officer that I now believe to be among the world's greatest *******s. First he asks for ID and proof of insurance from both of us. I say I don't have insurance, he looks at me and says, "Why the hell not?"

"I don't have a car."
"So if you hit a car, you're not responsible for it?"
"No..."
(he cuts me off) "NO?!? You're saying you're not responsible for it?"
"That's not what I'm saying."

It went on like this and he continued to tell me that my ID was not valid because I have been in Illinois for more than 90 days and don't have an Illinois license. He repeatedly said things along the lines of, "I can't file a report because I don't know who you are." Essentially, he was the biggest prick I think I have ever met.

Eventually, the cabbie and I said just f*ck it and left. There was no way we were going to get that report filed and neither of us felt like dealing with the ******* cop any longer. So we left.

And so now I've got a wasted frame and front wheel, a bunch of bruises, and I can't really do anything about it. Without a police report filed (which isn't going to happen), I can't file a claim with the cab company. Without a claim with the cab company, I'm out the cost of all that sh*t on a bike that I only recently finished building.

I think I may be done with city riding for a while. I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of people endangering you and then getting pissed off at you, purposefully messing with you, disrespecting you, and generally make it unsafe to ******** ride.

I hate this weekend.
Old 08-21-04, 03:41 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Lovely, no?
Old 08-21-04, 03:48 PM
dead mileage

Bikes: GT Mtnbike, PaulMilnes Trackbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That really sucks man. I wished I could say it 'sucks beyond belief' but we all know the truth of it. It seems like nearly everyday, someone I know, or know of, gets knocked off their bike. Good thing it only 'seems' that way tho.
Glad you're o.k.
As for the bike, well... damn.
Old 08-21-04, 04:31 PM
Total Hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FD, I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the taxi. Glad you weren't hurt. Maybe this pic will make you feel a little better.

Old 08-21-04, 05:20 PM
Filthy Cycling Rodent

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it sucked, but please, dont give up riding. just ride a slow mini geared fixed gear and get used to the psychic abilities it edows you with (mostly)
or a cruiser or something, just keep RIDIN'!
Old 08-21-04, 05:24 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Couple more pictures now that I've got the entire bike stripped down. Took the tape off the frame, so you can more clearly see the bends in the frame. It used to be so pretty. Note the nice deposit of yellow taxi paint in the second shot. I think I'm going to nail it to my wall.
Old 08-21-04, 05:53 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah - that blows...I am glad you are not bent like your frame Dave. Sorry we ditched out - just didn't feel like playing cat and mouse anymore.
Old 08-21-04, 06:56 PM
al5
super!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just called jeff - and heard about the wreck.. geez.

to add some more mahem to the madness, about 1/2 an hour after you all left.. there was a road-rage induced GANG FIGHT at thorndale redline. complete with punches through open car windows, tire-irons to the face, and lots of blood / cops / screaming / honking.

needless to say, the surveying stopped early.

-al

p.s. good to meet you all
Old 08-21-04, 07:01 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Holy sh*t man. An effin' gang fight a block from my apartment? o_O Sure as hell makes me feel safe now...
Old 08-21-04, 07:10 PM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YIKES!

Sorry to hear about that, man. I hope things go better on our ride out here tonight...

Hoping you heal fast...
Old 08-21-04, 08:12 PM
@#$% cars

Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have the cab info? I'd try again with the police report -- especially if you can get the cabbie to go to the station with you again. Get a different cop. Insist on a different cop and get the report done. You two aren't even fighting with each other ... no reason to let police intimidation create a new problem. Also, report that cop to his superior (after your report is successfully filed). Just a simple straightforward letter about his behavior. It was outrageous.

Good luck with everything!
Old 08-21-04, 08:55 PM
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Lovely, no?
F**k! Now I know why you insist on riding with a helmet.

165 thought it was fortuitous that we quit early.

Can I punch the second cop for you?...since you are probably in pain?

Hope **** feels better.
Old 08-21-04, 09:14 PM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was reading the old Richard's bike book i picked up at the library i work at used for one dollar. In the book which was written like in 1972 or so it says that cab drivers are enemies. LOL straight out says that as well as that cars kill cyclists.

Guess my point is that times don't change much, huh? Sorry about your bike, Dave.

And yeah, stuff like this does help out others, believe it or not i use a helmet 100% of the time now because of all the **** thats happened on this forum
Old 08-21-04, 09:22 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
damn dude, I'm at a loss for words....that sucks, and I'm amazed that anyone can keep their head straight after something like that...'

You should really go up there again, with the cabbie, and try to get the report done again...if you have a picture work ID, bring that as well. I tend to keep mine on me in event of having to deal with an A-hole like that....more ID the better...I bet he just want willing to deal with it since their paperwork sucks....most places don't have multivehicle accident forms that deal with anything but motorized vehicles.

...Plus...how the hell do you even get PLPD coverage on a bike? I'm pretty sure that guy was a few fries short of a happy meal, if you know what I'm sayin.
Old 08-21-04, 10:53 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Honestly, as much as I'd like to file a report and then try to get a claim from the cab company, at this point I am so fed up with morons and ässholes that I'm content to take the loss of the frame and the wheel if it means I don't have to deal with another 15 morons and ässholes. I'll eventually get another frame, fork, and wheel together, but until then I'm also happy to walk, and after that I think I will ride very, very slowly. Though I do enjoy surreal moments, I can do without long fractions of a second when everything is going in bullet time and I'm thinking to myself, "How the FÜCK did this happen?"
Old 08-21-04, 11:24 PM
NEVER WALK A HILL

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe Specialized Dolce Vita Multi Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would think having just been hit by a car that the police officer would have been a little more considerate.
p.s. I'm glad you were not badly hurt!
Old 08-22-04, 12:57 AM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey i picked up a frame and fork for 6 bucks on ebay, ok 42 with shipping:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Going to upgrade my 17" frame/fork to this 19" that will fit better. Chromoly, front and rear eyelets, and look what is that? Horizontal drops!

Thinking of having my lbs make me a custom rear wheel fixed/free, fixed for street and free for snow/offroad.

Point is this does mean you get to shop for a new bike!
Old 08-22-04, 11:05 AM
Philly bike nerd

Bikes: 2003 Fuji Track Bike,Pink Univega, Mixed part BMX, Early 70's Columbia Tandem, Orange and Cream Fixed gear Pursuit bike (Puig), random bikes made from spare parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Couple more pictures now that I've got the entire bike stripped down. Took the tape off the frame, so you can more clearly see the bends in the frame. It used to be so pretty. Note the nice deposit of yellow taxi paint in the second shot. I think I'm going to nail it to my wall.

Doesnt look that bad, I think most of those Dings can be buffed out!

oh man, just kidding, that is horrible! I just hope you feel better and get back in the saddle really soon.
Old 08-22-04, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FD - good to hear your back on a fixie accident+1. it was a pretty spectacular wreck from my standpoint! a career as a stuntman may be in your future.

good riding all and we'll have to ride again when i get back.

curse this.
jeff
Old 08-22-04, 07:30 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Jeff - mind posting a description of the accident as you saw it go down? I still don't have too clear a picture of how it happened...
Old 08-22-04, 08:01 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Can't file a police report because your ID is 'invalid'? Like maybe you are no longer the same person? Or maybe only bonafide residents are entitled to police services? I guess Chicago is one place I will not be visiting.
Old 08-22-04, 08:02 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

If nothing else, avoid getting hit by cabs here.
Old 08-22-04, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah this is what I saw happen...

We were traveling south on Lincoln Ave. We came upon the intersection of Lincoln - Armitage - Sedgwick. The light turned as you were going through (I stopped). The cabbie gunned it when he got his green light despite the fact you were just moving right in front of him. ...and then he hit you.

It was a really tough situation because there was a large truck that kind of obscured traffic and in general there was a lot of congestion. The cabbie really should not have slammed on the gas the instant he got the light not only because of the potential of errant bikers, but because of other pedestrians in crosswalks and late turning vehicles clearing the intersection. Experienced Chicago drivers know this.

I'm going to San Francisco for a week, but I'll pm you my email if you need to reach me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.