Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike feels very "wiggly" in the drops

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike feels very "wiggly" in the drops

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a little hard to explain, but I've been noticing lately that when I ride at a fairly high speed, in the drops, that my bike feels very unstable for some reason. It feels almost like the spokes are loose or something. If I go arrow straight it's ok but if I turn back and forth any at all it has a very loose feeling to it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my Spinergy wheels. They are the X-Aero wheels which have the "PBO" carbon spokes. I had my LBS go over my bike a few months ago and now I'm wondering if it's something they did. Anyone else ever had their bike feel like this?? Very unnerving when you're flying down a big hill at 35+mph and the damn thing feels like it's gonna buck you off any second. Like I said, I only notice this feeling in the drops....when I ride on the hoods it feels fine. Very strange.
Old 07-29-04, 01:00 PM
"Live Strong" - Lance A.

Bikes: 04' Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
either find time yourself to check ever screw on the bike or take it to a bike shop and ask them what they think
Old 07-29-04, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
My bike is very unstable at high speeds. Fortunately I know why. Its a combination of less rider control in the drops and a steep head tube angle with minimal fork rake. Change wheels and see what happens....If it persists follow addicteds advice..