Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

my own private Sat. morning torture

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 06:57 AM
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Perhaps some of you have read that I'm preparing for this bike ride in the fall;

highlander

Well, as part of my training, I decided to ride the first 30 miles of the course last Saturday morning. The ride profile of just this portion is at the bottom of this post. In a word ... it's "hilly" and I suffered.

The first two climbs I handled pretty well and kept my speed between 13-14 mph. The third climb was steeper than the others and it was all I could do to maintain 10mph. I felt a bit tires, but OK. Then I hit the last climb ... Bopple Hill.

Bopple hill is somewhat of a legend around these parts. This was my first attempt to climb it. It rises 600 feet in 0.8 miles and has an interesting profile. The first half of the climb is steep (probably >15%). There is a small section half way up that flattens enough to give you a breather. The second half then climbs at a gut-wrenching 22% for almost 0.4 miles.

My legs weren't ready for this climb. I settled into a rhythm for the first half and had no choice but to use my triple. 30x23 was plenty tough at >15%. Heart rate was steady at 183. I think I probably kept a constant, yet paltry 5-6mph. The flat section half was up was a welcome relief, but the sight of the 22% section sent shivers down my spine. I've been riding for MANY, MANY years, and generally think that I'm a decent climber (I'm only 155 lbs), but the second half of this climb kicked my A$$. For the first time in my life, I actually had to swing across the road from side to side to avoid dumping the bike or watching my legs fall from my aching hips. I was in pain. Twice, I seemingly had no choice but to spew hatred filled words into the air aimed directly at the sick ba$tard who decided to put a road right here.

Alas, I did not walk one inch of that ba$tard. Furthermore, next time I climb it I'll know what to expect (and I'm bringing my 12-25 instead of my 13-23). Whew!

-mark
Old 06-07-04, 07:53 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Congrats. No way I could climb a 22% grade. I admire your spunk and effort and success at finishing this climb!
Old 06-07-04, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I seemingly had no choice but to spew hatred filled words into the air aimed directly at the sick ba$tard who decided to put a road right here."

Sorry, but that's hilarious.
Old 06-07-04, 08:21 AM
Not a senior!

Bikes: Felt 85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job. You finished right side up, too. I don't like hills much in general, and steep ones just tick me off. For me a "paltry 5-6 mph" would be fast on a 20% grade, but oh, the downhill slide is great. Scary at times, but great! I also like the part about the hatred-filled words. Been there too.
Old 06-07-04, 08:23 AM
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hlweyl
"I seemingly had no choice but to spew hatred filled words into the air aimed directly at the sick ba$tard who decided to put a road right here."

Sorry, but that's hilarious.
No need to apologize. I'm a mild-mannered guy, so this was completely out of character for me.

I googled "bopple hill" just for fun and found a few interesting old references. It turns out that many years ago, this road was commonly used on new-car test rides. The general thought was that if the car could make it up the hill, it was a keeper.

I literally have no idea how a car would get up it with even a light coating of snow.

-mark