Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Chicago Radio - WGCI and "Messenger Tag"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 09:13 AM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A coworker of mine just informed me that at around 800am this morning while he was listening to WGCI (107.5 FM), there was a suggestion made to play "messenger tag" - a game during which people on bikes are knocked off the road. This suggestion was made by someone who called in, not by the DJs. Not sure of anything else beyond that. Anyone else catch this?
Old 03-31-04, 09:43 AM

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600 SS, 2016 Cannondale Cujo 2 SS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
F*CK THEM!! That really pisses me off.
Old 03-31-04, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Complain, complain, complain. With enough people flooding the radio company's email, they'll have to do something. Are the a Clearchannel radio station? Didn't these guys learn anything from the mess that Clearchannel had to deal with? IDIOTS!!!
Old 03-31-04, 01:31 PM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone heard the story though?
Old 03-31-04, 03:23 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by progre-ss
Are the a Clearchannel radio station?
Are there any stations that AREN'T clearchannel at this point?

-chris
Old 03-31-04, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
They are a Clear Channel radio station. AND all Clear Channel radio stations are supposed to have a timed delay. The DJs had an opportunity to dump the call if they felt like it, but they chose to broadcast it. So to me, it doesn't matter if the DJs said it or not- they allowed it to air, so they supported the statement.

I stopped listening to that radio station a looooooooooong time ago. I may speak with a friend of mine who works on that radio station. He gives advice on Fridays, and lemmie tell you, I'll be vocal. I'm supposed to see him on Sunday- he's coming to my spinning classes and we're supposed to make an appointment to ride together. Sean is a big cycling nut and a friend of the mayor's. I'm sure we can find a way to get GCI to understand that supporting bodily harm to cyclists is counterproductive to their radio station's health and well-being.

Koffee

Old 03-31-04, 04:42 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
They are a Clear Channel radio station. AND all Clear Channel radio stations are supposed to have a timed delay. The DJs had an opportunity to dump the call if they felt like it, but they chose to broadcast it. So to me, it doesn't matter if the DJs said it or not- they allowed it to air, so they supported the statement.

I stopped listening to that radio station a looooooooooong time ago. I may speak with a friend of mine who works on that radio station. He gives advice on Fridays, and lemmie tell you, I'll be vocal. I'm supposed to see him on Sunday- he's coming to my spinning classes and we're supposed to make an appointment to ride together. Sean is a big cycling nut and a friend of the mayor's. I'm sure we can find a way to get GCI to understand that supporting bodily harm to cyclists is counterproductive to their radio station's health and well-being.

Koffee
Good call. I was going to contact them directly, but figured someone knew someone who could do something more efficiently.
Thanks!
keep us in the loop
Old 03-31-04, 04:49 PM
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go get 'em!!!
Old 03-31-04, 05:53 PM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure we can find a way to get GCI to understand that supporting bodily harm to cyclists is counterproductive to their radio station's health and well-being. Koffee
I dig the ominous sound of that.. rolling thunderous sort of manner... I dig it.
Old 03-31-04, 09:16 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Targetting the station itself is a complete waste of effort. Not wishing to sound disrespecful, but it has been tried before. All it really does is generate the attention that they are seeking by broadcasting this rubbish in the first place. If you're going to contact anyone, either go straight to their sponsors and tell them you're boycotting them over their association with this station -- or contact the regulator with a formal complaint. Either way, contacting the station directly is a waste of time.

That is all.
Old 03-31-04, 11:17 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ever vigilant.

I would suspect that there seems to be a "bait" that keeps drawing Clear Channel DJ's to pick on cyclists in this deadly fashion. Perhaps, despite the peace-offerings from CC toward cyclists with promtional gimicks, they see an opportunity to make $$$ from our suffering.
Old 04-01-04, 07:02 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can be real dumb about interpreting what people mean from what they say. Does this sound like an accurate interpretation of what the "run down cyclists" really are saying: Cyclists dress funny and act funny so they must be *****exuals that think our street is some kind of Mardi Gras, so we should run them down. Is this all about homophobia?
Old 04-01-04, 09:04 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith
I can be real dumb about interpreting what people mean from what they say. Does this sound like an accurate interpretation of what the "run down cyclists" really are saying: Cyclists dress funny and act funny so they must be *****exuals that think our street is some kind of Mardi Gras, so we should run them down. Is this all about homophobia?
I'd say that's part of it, but overall it's the same old fear of something different that causes all forms of bigotry. They're not allowed to come out and directly say something against *****exuals or certain other minorities. However, no such laws exist regarding cyclists, so we're a target for their trolling. Of course, we make ourselves a target by actually responding to them with a flood of complaints each time, making it totally clear to them that their trolling is working. What we should be doing is displaying a bit of arrogance and treating this crap with the contempt it so obviously deserves.

That is all.
Old 04-01-04, 09:19 PM
OregonBound

Has anyone actually confirmed first hand, exactly what was said/took place?

Paul

Old 04-01-04, 10:46 PM
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OregonBound
Has anyone actually confirmed first hand, exactly what was said/took place?

Paul
Yea, I would like to know, too.

Plus: any progress been made?
Old 04-01-04, 11:02 PM

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600 SS, 2016 Cannondale Cujo 2 SS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its things like that that lead to people flicking cigarette butts at cyclists
Old 04-01-04, 11:38 PM
hateful little monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's things like this wot cause unrest!
Old 04-02-04, 09:39 AM

I'm actually still waiting on confirmation that it was really said. I sent out a PM asking if it were an April Fool's joke or not. I suspect it isn't, but I would like to be sure beforehand, since I'll be asking a friend who works there for a favor, and I don't want him to go in ranting and raving, only to find out it was a joke and his job is jeopardized. Let me know when you get confirmation.

Koffee

Old 04-03-04, 12:54 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey KB-
any word on this?
Old 04-03-04, 06:42 PM

Dood, I'm not approaching anyone until I get some confirmation that it actually happened. I am actually seeing my friend who works at the station tomorrow, but without confirmation that someone actually heard it, I'll wait on it for now.

Koffee