Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Nishiki circa '81

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Nishiki circa '81

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 12:10 PM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nishiki circa '81

Was jonesing for some FG riding while here in AZ. I've riden everyone's bike and none fit, and none are close to what I'm riding in MN, so I went on a hunt for a bike to fix, and found BICIS, here in Tucson. Have no idea what BICIS stands for, but knew it was the right place when I walked in and right in front of me was a sign up for an up coming Alley Cat Feb 28 (I think, I won't be here for it). I made my way through the piles of frames and wheels, and found two bikes, a Schwinn World Tourer, and this old Nishiki Marina. Bagged the Nishiki, took it home and started the tear down. AZ sun really is hard on finishes, where in MN everything is rusty, and rusted together. I pulled off the deraillures and found this "brown" bike was actually once a maroon. Built it back up as a SS, since I don't have the funds or the wheel sets to go FG with it. Good thing I saved money on a wheel set, my first ride was met with disaster, I flatted my front tire, and flattened the old steel rear wheel. Replaced it and am running okay with a good lesson learned.
So, if you're ever in Tucson, check these guys out, they trade, sell, and will let you work for your bike. There are buckets of parts. And a couple piles of frames. I found some Campy brake levers, not matched, but I didn't want to do a lot of digging. It's a little gem. (I also said I'd post about them)
SS and FG are big here, but I'm told there aren't any messenger services using bikes. Not sure if it is the climate makes it pretty unreasonable to be out on a bike in this sort of heat they get or if the city just isn't big enough to warrant any enterprizing group of riders to take on the service.
I'll post my pics of this classic steel Nishiki when I get home.
Old 02-23-04, 10:16 AM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before and after
Old 08-20-04, 03:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome naisme, I actually just picked up a frame and fork at Bicis. I got this Austro Daimler Inter 10 for $20. This is the only picture I could find online (i plan on posting pictures of mine soon)

The fork was missing, but I found a Tange that seems to fit pretty well. It was painted with black and white stripes, so it had to be stripped. I'm not sure what I want to do in terms of painting now. The frame is in decent condition, but it's got scratches and some rust on the seat stays.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a wheelset with a flipflop hub. I just measured the rear spacing at 122mm. I don't have experience doing this, but that doesn't seem to match up with the average spacing of a road frame. Am I measuring correctly?
Old 08-20-04, 07:05 AM
Bicycle Luge Racer

Bikes: Modern, old, fixed, mountain.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fixie is a lugged Nishiki Olympic 12. I really like the long wheelbase with zero overlap. Very comfortable frame with some character. I really would have liked to find a Nishiki Pro but never saw one in my size. Great old bikes. Pretty well thought of by many of the IBOB crowd as well.
Old 08-20-04, 07:11 AM
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are at least three Nishiki RoadMasters converted to fixies in Helsinki
Old 08-20-04, 08:23 AM
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I loaned my '83 Nishiki Olympic Royale out to my nephew when he was in college. I hope he still has it. I'd like to get it back one day if he's not using it.

I think I paid $280 for it new. I remember the salesman telling me the next step down was an Azuki that was not double butted like the Nishiki. I'm glad I got the Nishiki.

IIRC, the top tube was shorter than most current bike styles, which is great for city riding.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 08-20-04, 04:16 PM

Bikes: 71 Nishiki Olympic, 04 Santa Cruz Blur, 04 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Soma Rush (fixie), 04 Cannondale (fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonshot
I loaned my '83 Nishiki Olympic Royale out to my nephew when he was in college. I hope he still has it. I'd like to get it back one day if he's not using it.

I think I paid $280 for it new. I remember the salesman telling me the next step down was an Azuki that was not double butted like the Nishiki. I'm glad I got the Nishiki.

IIRC, the top tube was shorter than most current bike styles, which is great for city riding.
I saw a Nishiki Olympic Royale still in the box, I don't know the year but it just happens to be the same
size as the one I bought way back in the early 70's. Mine is still geared (sorry) but I'm looking for parts
to build up an old fixie. I also found this Fuji w/the kewl curved tt but it's to small.
Old 08-20-04, 04:32 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
"I just measured the rear spacing at 122mm."

In the early days of six speed freewheels, 122mm was (briefly) used as dropout spacing by several manufacturers. No big deal, just get some 1mm hub spacers for your 120mm hub.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!