Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lock frozen... again..

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Lock frozen... again..

Old 01-31-04, 09:56 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lock frozen... again..

I have a junker that I keep outside with a u-lock that froze over once. So now, ever time I go outside to ride, I gotta bring a bottle of hot water out to defrost it which promptly refreezes again.

Any tips?
Old 01-31-04, 10:10 AM

Bikes: custom steel built at Naked Bicycles and Design in Western,Canada..Sam Whittingham

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found this:
give it a read

https://www.tufoil.us/lubit8.htm
Old 01-31-04, 10:42 AM
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use a deicer like Landrover said, and don't use water to get your lock open. You are only making your freeze problems worst. The hot water may work in a pinch but some of it stays inside your lock. If you use water over and over it is only adding to your problem. One more thing bring the bike and lock inside place your lock over a heat source to dry it out. Then lube it up you should have no problems after that.
Old 01-31-04, 08:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try using some rubbing alcohol.
I used it in a pinch .
Keith
Old 01-31-04, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep a very small bottle of wd-40 handy.
Old 02-01-04, 05:46 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I couldn't find tufoil at the local hardware store but I'll try the other suggestions.
Tried rubbing alcohol, it's 70/30 mix and still freezes since it gets down to about 5F sometimes. Will try flushing it out and spraying it with wd-40 and chain lube.

Does chain lube freeze up?
Old 02-01-04, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
I couldn't find tufoil at the local hardware store but I'll try the other suggestions.
Tried rubbing alcohol, it's 70/30 mix and still freezes since it gets down to about 5F sometimes. Will try flushing it out and spraying it with wd-40 and chain lube.

Does chain lube freeze up?
I have been using Finish Line chain lube in my Ulock and and also a cable lock that sits outside always. It has been out in about 0f weather and not frozen. What is freezing, the key part or where it actually locks? Bike grease may work as well. I have found WD-40 washes out quickly, so you will need to redo it regularly.
Old 02-02-04, 09:00 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Both the key part (I can't even stick the key in) and the part that locks inside (I can't turn the key even if it goes in).
Old 02-02-04, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carry a lighter.
Old 02-02-04, 11:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carry a lighter
So, your not a smoker?
Old 02-03-04, 01:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no, i don't smoke, but you'd be amazed at how many times i've been able to put the zippo i carry with me to good use.
Old 02-03-04, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I park in an alley alongside my office buildling downtown, that is closed off with a little swinging gate that has a lock built in. I've had no problems with my bike locks, but this gate lock froze up solid last week and I ended up carrying my bike up 3 floors to my office. No big deal. When I went into my winter jacket at home where I keep a little container of de0icer spray I discovered that after sitting there for a few years it had dried up. So it was a few days till I found a new contained of de-icer spray to carry with me on my bike, and then it warmed up enough that the lock came undone on its own! before I had a chance to use the de-icer spray. Well now I am prepared for the next time. We still have all of Februrary afterall.
Old 02-03-04, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Does it matter if the lock points up or down? I try to keep my lock keyhole-down to avoid water dripping in.
Old 02-06-04, 06:22 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I point my lock up, sounds counter intuitive but in order for me to pour hot water on it to defrost it, it has to be pointed up.

The de-icer's a better way.
Old 03-30-04, 09:35 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
If there is not a huge amount of ice on the lock,just cup your hands over it as much as possible and breathe on the lock for a couple of minutes.It's slow but it works if the lock just has a little ice inside and not a huge covering of ice over it. Did you ever try putting a sandwich bag over the lock and using an elastic to cover as much as possible.Before you leave the bike?? On a Sunny day this may work as a greenhouse too and warm things up a little if the sun is in the right place.
Old 04-01-04, 07:45 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Breathing in your lock, pouring hot water in it, even p**ing on it may help in a pinch, but de-icer is the only long term solution. That's what we use in car locks here. And it is best applied before your lock freezes. If the lock is already frozen solid, it will take time and effort to open it, even with de-icer.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 04-02-04, 08:52 AM
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a lock on my back fence that I used to have this trouble with. For a time I used de-icer, then I ran out of that and just heated the key with a lighter before inserting it into the lock.

This is a better solution: Make your lock a rubber hat. Get an old innertube or something similar and punch two holes for the shackle with an awl or punch. position the rubber around the lock so that it acts like an umbrella and directs the water away from the keyhole. Position the lock keyhole down.

Dan
Old 04-02-04, 09:59 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Closest thing I can think of is using a condom wrapped around the lock portion...
Old 08-24-05, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been times when i used 1/4 bottle of deicer to get my lock unfrozen. Either i'm deicer defficient or there was a lot of ice in there.

Regardless, what i found to be of best use, was a blowdryer/hairdryer. It helps if you have a socket nearby your bike. This avoids the whole pouring more liquid into the lock. And yes; keep your locks indoors if possible.