Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BFSSFG open again - with a new moderator

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 05-01-08, 08:40 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

EivlEvo is the moderator for SSFG now.

He'll help make this forum a welcome place for anyone with an interest in single speed and/or fixed gear bikes, and ensure that inappropriate (read:language/images, not off-topic) post content is minimized.

It's probably a good idea for everyone to read through the guidelines again as well. Hopefully, the last 24 hours have convinced everyone that we'd really like to see some positive changes in here.
Old 05-01-08, 08:43 PM
The Cat's Meow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So will there be no wiggle room for offtopic posts here?
Old 05-01-08, 08:45 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanday
So will there be no wiggle room for offtopic posts here?
Oh, that wasn't clear. I meant that the off-topic posts are not an issue. Only the inappropriate language and images are. That leaves plenty of wiggle room, as there are many non-cycling topics specific to SSFG.
Old 05-01-08, 08:46 PM
The Cat's Meow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
Oh, that wasn't clear. I meant that the off-topic posts are not an issue. Only the inappropriate language and images are. That leaves plenty of wiggle room, as there are many non-cycling topics specific to SSFG.
Awesome. Thanks for the clarity.
Old 05-01-08, 08:58 PM
Top 5 ******

Bikes: Bareknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin

thanks brian. you're the best.
Old 05-01-08, 11:01 PM
Look at all these buttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys... I intend to moderate this forum within the guidelines of the set "rules".

I've been on here long enough to understand how things work and its really the only forum I visit. The only thing I can say... don't make me look bad right away. I want this forum to be exactly what it should be. Any questions or issues... simply report the thread and I'll do my best to FAIRLY assert my "powers".

PEACE!
Old 05-01-08, 11:09 PM
Senioritis Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EivlEvo
Guys... I intend to moderate this forum within the guidelines of the set "rules".

I've been on here long enough to understand how things work and its really the only forum I visit. The only thing I can say... don't make me look bad right away. I want this forum to be exactly what it should be. Any questions or issues... simply report the thread and I'll do my best to FAIRLY assert my "powers".

PEACE!
No purple star? Are you like a secret, undercover mod?
Old 05-01-08, 11:16 PM
Look at all these buttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im just a guy that wants the forum open. This is what I had to do. I'm also trying mad hard to get others reinstated. But yeah... as per usual. BFSSFG is the little kid of the forum. No purple star :-(
Old 05-01-08, 11:19 PM
Tell them I hate them

Bikes: Specialized Allez Epic '91, IRO Mark V Pro, Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PEACE!
You'll do fine. You're here enough to recognize where the threads are steering off course. That's all we're lacking really.

But I'm out. You won't have to worry about me for a while at least.
Old 05-01-08, 11:20 PM
Senioritis Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im just a guy that wants the forum open. This is what I had to do. I'm also trying mad hard to get others reinstated. But yeah... as per usual. BFSSFG is the little kid of the forum. No purple star :-(
I wasn't hating, just curious. Good to hear you're trying to get them back. I understand the need for rules, but I'll be honest, the snarky, rule-breaking comments were what made this place awesome.

Edit: Oh, and I'm with Peed on that one, I'll check back every now and then to see how things are, but I'm out for a while too, at least until things are back to normal.
Old 05-02-08, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by snortCRANK
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Posting insulting or naked pictures is not an 'essential liberty', drama queen.
Old 05-02-08, 12:48 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So where the hell is the closing bfssfg thread gone and who got banned? Or were the bans revoked in the hope that EivlEvo can maintain some order in here?

BTW this is the best drama we've had since a certain katana incident.
Old 05-02-08, 01:01 AM
oOooo, five bucks

Bikes: Giant OCR touring(06), Norco Storm (05)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got a question. just an attempt to solve one of the major problems that was voiced in the last thread, but is there a way to make it say something like "[Edited by Admin XXX]" every time an admin edits a post?

just trying to keep everything out in the open, stopping the "I didn't say that he changed what i said" and "I didn't change anything you said"...

or to kind of change the dynamics a bit, make either the SS/FG forums a 18+ so the pictures (to an extent) and swearing can be allowed; or make a sub section that is 18+ where all the (oh so awesome) off track and vulgar threads can be moved/started?

I have seen it work on other forums. just some ideas. otherwise i my (and many others) guess, is it will be clean for a bit, then slowly revert back to the (oh so awesome) more adult/a**hole threads. By making it obvious that by entering the 18+ section, and some warning saying "this is where the A**holes skulk" posts would only get reported for going REALLY off topic (ie racism)....

then you can exile Deathhare to that subforum and let him run wild

*all puns in the above text may or may not have been on purpose*
Old 05-02-08, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Admins, do yourself a favor and join the Something Awful forums. They have the best administration feature set ever developed for forums, most of it around the rich probation / ban / behavior modification.

They had to, because the SA forums is like a prison yard for roided-out great white shark zombie nazis. Their userbase, were it to spill out beyond their walls, would basically destroy civilization as we know it. They're very good at damage control.
Old 05-02-08, 01:37 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
EivlEvo - Congratulations on the new posting.

Here's to making ss/fg as good a place as it can be.
Old 05-02-08, 01:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One time, I rode a bike!
Old 05-02-08, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

PEACE!
'grats, EivlEvo, and best of luck in the new role.

I've been following this with interest, am pleased to see swift action taken, and hope that your appointment proves a successful measure. I also hope that the mob here support your efforts by:
  • Understanding that you have the role of ensuring the section 'fits' the rest of the forum rather than the task of making it a law unto itself.
  • Communicating their concerns to you via PM so you can represent those concerns in team discussions, rather than ranting about s**t on the open forum and..
  • Understanding/accepting that the "adult/a**hole threads" some people admire so much at best run a poofteenth of a sparrow's fart short of being the "innappropriate language" that is complained about or unwanted, and that threads of that nature will end up almost inevitably requiring intervention or editing at some point or other.

All just common sense, really. As said, big props

Oh! And...

Originally Posted by ~Stuart~
i got a question. just an attempt to solve one of the major problems that was voiced in the last thread, but is there a way to make it say something like "[COLOR=Red][Edited by Admin XXX][/COLOR" every time an admin edits a post?
The forum software should allow for that to happen, and on any forum board whatsoever it's rather rude/unacceptable/unethical for supervisors to edit posts without leaving behind an audit note indicating that the post has been modified. When the feature is enabled in the board's Control Panel all moderatoirs need do is add a couple of words of explanation when they edit the post, in an entry box which is already there. Usually single word explanations such as "Inappropriate", "Harassment" or somesuch will suffice, and will serve to stave off lots of bad feeling and argument afterwards

Originally Posted by schnee
Admins, do yourself a favor and join the Something Awful forums. They have the best administration feature set ever developed for forums, most of it around the rich probation / ban / behavior modification.

They had to, because the SA forums is like a prison yard for roided-out great white shark zombie nazis. Their userbase, were it to spill out beyond their walls, would basically destroy civilization as we know it. They're very good at damage control.
SA forum board administrative style works for SA forum because of the nature of that board. Other boards are seldom like SA, and those people who see its administrative approach as the 'Holy Grail' be-all and end-all of forum board administration are probably destined to strike problems wherever they go!

Enough from me. I'll get back now to trying to work out just why some crazy folk like to forego the gears. I haven't yet been able to figure that out, and I've been thinking that all the silliness around here was because the people who were doing it didn't know why either. If it's all calmed down I might be able to learn whatever truth is there to find

Thanks for tolerating my interjections by the way, you lot. I've not seen a single word of objection to my presence or comments throughout the entirety of it!

Last edited by Catweazle; 05-02-08 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Inadvertant word filter presence corrected
Old 05-02-08, 02:49 AM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snortCRANK

thanks brian. you're the best.
snortcrank: I gave up a lot of liberties for my current employment for the saftey of a steady job and health care: would you say I do not deserve liberty?

Weary feelings grow when people cry over free speach on a privately owned web forum. If you don't like it, move on. For ANYONE who feel it is foul about moderation and changes: go back to the days of Koffee Brown.. or simply 2 - 3 years back. It was the same thing, just different. The forum evolves ~ and we should be thankful that Joe, and now Brian are so very tolerant of the BS that goes on in here.

For the life of me, I can not understand why people get sooo bent up about being banned for breaking the rules. You have email, you can still talk to eachother.. Shoot, you could go out and RIDE A BIKE..

What people here (including myself at times) lack is a modicum of respect for others. Disagree, argue, but to devolve into pure name calling (and I'm not talking about adjetives describing mentality) and e-threats is asinine. I think it would be good if people here would talk to eachother as they would in person.

Personally, I don't care for strait bars and risers on Fixies. But, really.. if you ride, you ride. And I tell people the same in person. I would bet that it is a small amount of people who would tell a complete stranger things like "your bike looks like ass" or "that bike looks so gay". And I hedge my bets that people who would do that would quickly find themselves outcast in most rides.. Even at CM..

Move on, accept the rules or move out.
Old 05-02-08, 02:58 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
"Enough from me. I'll get back now to trying to work out just why some crazy folk like to forego the gears. I haven't yet been able to figure that out, and I've been thinking that all the silliness around here was because the people who were doing it didn't know why either. If it's all calmed down I might be able to learn whatever truth is there to find."

Think back to when you were a child and probably rocked a bike with only one speed just as my daughters are doing now.

It's pure, it's simple, and a lot of fun... all you need to do is turn those pedals and go.

The truth can really only be found in doing.
Old 05-02-08, 05:16 AM
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by extremenergy3
One time, I rode a bike!
Mods please move this post to a more appropriate forum.
Old 05-02-08, 06:47 AM

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad most people are happy with the changes. I've never had any real problems with anyone on BF, so I just shrugged off the events of the week. I enjoy posting here, and have learned a lot from BF (training and nutrition is the hidden gem). A lot of the drama is boredom (IMO). Most of us post when we're at work, or school and off our beloved bikes. That's enough to turn anyone (at least me) into a raving internet ****** bag.

Now lets all enjoy the effing spring.
Old 05-02-08, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Deathhare allowed back?
Old 05-02-08, 07:40 AM
i can has tarck?

Bikes: '07 BFSSFGIRO / '84 Trek 770

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
according to the banned user thread, he's only on a 7 day ban for getting his third infraction.
but i guess he could also be locked out of ssfg for a month. who knows.
Old 05-02-08, 07:44 AM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xylophonecks
according to the banned user thread, he's only on a 7 day ban for getting his third infraction.
but i guess he could also be locked out of ssfg for a month. who knows.

Where is the banned user thread? I wanna see.
Old 05-02-08, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=388447&page=2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.