Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Numbness and tingling- how irritating.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 09:42 AM
superArti

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After even a short ride I'm having numbness and tingling in my left index finger, that lasts for days (and is probably re-aggrivated after only a day or two of rest). What a trip going to work, and trying to type all day. Cycling gloves fit well, have tried a couple different positions, and making sure I'm not gripping too tight.

Also, my toes (from the outside to the inside) go numb, only my right foot (which is millimeters bigger than my left)- cleat forward or backward?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-08, 10:01 AM
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
try GEL bar tape.

Make sure the pedal spindle is centered on the ball of the foot. Adjust the clete appropraitely. You may need someone to help you with this. Your right and left feet will be different. You should also check to see if you pronate your feet when pedalling. You may need shims to correct it.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 04-16-08, 10:02 AM

Bikes: an amazing Fuji Newest 3.0!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started cycling I had problems with my left hand going numb after about a half hour of riding. I tried gel gloves and that didn't work. It wasn't until I started getting really serious about riding that I started adjusting my fit on the bike. As soon as I raised and moved my seat forward the numbness disappeared. I understand that you have tried different fits, but maybe you haven't found the right one yet. Do you adjust your fit in small increments?
Old 04-16-08, 10:02 AM
No cud for foil.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no doctor, but pressure on your nerves is probably to blame, as you probably already figured. What kind of gloves are you using? I find that some people who have trouble with numbness use very thinly padded gloves. My hands don't have too much meat on them, and I use Louis Garneau Ergo-Airs as my short-finger gloves. Their padding is very well-placed, I find, and it's very firm, so it actually does what it's supposed to do, that is, protect your hands' nerves.

As for shoes, if your cleat is way far back, I could see that as presenting a problem. Just remember the pedal axle should roughly bisect the ball of your foot. That said, foot issues are much weirder, I find, so I'll keep my two cents limited to just that.
Old 04-16-08, 10:24 AM
superArti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DasProfezzional
I'm no doctor, but pressure on your nerves is probably to blame, as you probably already figured. What kind of gloves are you using? I find that some people who have trouble with numbness use very thinly padded gloves. My hands don't have too much meat on them, and I use Louis Garneau Ergo-Airs as my short-finger gloves. Their padding is very well-placed, I find, and it's very firm, so it actually does what it's supposed to do, that is, protect your hands' nerves.

As for shoes, if your cleat is way far back, I could see that as presenting a problem. Just remember the pedal axle should roughly bisect the ball of your foot. That said, foot issues are much weirder, I find, so I'll keep my two cents limited to just that.

Hm, good tip on the gloves. I assumed more padding was better. And, the padding isn't too firm.
Old 04-16-08, 10:27 AM
superArti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arterture
When I first started cycling I had problems with my left hand going numb after about a half hour of riding. I tried gel gloves and that didn't work. It wasn't until I started getting really serious about riding that I started adjusting my fit on the bike. As soon as I raised and moved my seat forward the numbness disappeared. I understand that you have tried different fits, but maybe you haven't found the right one yet. Do you adjust your fit in small increments?
The fit with everything else on my bike is good, with the exception of the left hand. I'm hesitant to adjust anything for fear of causing another issue. I did tweak the handlebars a bit yesterday, and think i'll give myself a day for the numbness to go away completely before I get back on. 5 days on in a row, I haven't given it a chance to dissipate yet.
Old 04-16-08, 10:31 AM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I had this problem pretty bad when I first started riding a road bike last year. I found a pair of Adidas gloves with minimal padding were best, but the biggest difference came when I swapped out my stem for a higher-rise version. My saddle is not even an inch higher than my handlebars, which is a more comfort-oriented setup.

Also, make a point of regularly letting your left arm hang down and shake out your hand, say every 15-20 minutes while on a ride.

Good luck,

Scott
Old 04-16-08, 10:39 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by artifice
The fit with everything else on my bike is good, with the exception of the left hand. I'm hesitant to adjust anything for fear of causing another issue. I did tweak the handlebars a bit yesterday, and think i'll give myself a day for the numbness to go away completely before I get back on. 5 days on in a row, I haven't given it a chance to dissipate yet.
I had the same problem in my right hand last year, and then a problem with a burning sensation in my right shoulder. Getting a pinched nerve at the base of my neck resolved fixed them both.. Get checked out by a chiropractor or orthopoedist if it persists.