Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I Make It Fit????

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can I Make It Fit????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I Make It Fit????

Ok - back story first - I am putting it in blue - if you want to skip to the meat go to the black text -

For rallies, semi-races (I am not that fast - yet), and Saturday rides with LBS I use my '06 Bianchi L'Una.

For commuting, I am currently using my '73 Gran Sport - 53cm. This bike fits me perfectly. I love it. Fast, smooth, and cool looking.

I want to get into touring, and I know I could use the Gran Sport for that as well, but I really wanted to eventually put a single speed on it or maybe a flip flop, and just use it for commuting. I don't have any water bottle cages on it (short commute) and I ride with a backpack so it doesn't have a rack on it. Don't even have fenders b/c I live in TX - no weather here. I just like it looking clean and simple....this is why I am hesitant to start gearing it out for unsupported rides...

There is a 1980 Raleigh Competition GS frame/gear set (campy nuovo)/wheels in my local area that I would really like to buy and use as a summer project - I want to improve my mechanical prowess and of course it would be fun. I would like to set it up for touring. But it is a size bigger than my perfectly fitting 53cm Gran Sport....can I make it fit? I can't try it out because it is in pieces...what should I do? I know I could buy this bike for a good price....but can I make it fit? and for long distance touring no less?

Do I get over it and use the Gran Sport for touring, the Competition for commuting/track it out? Do I build out the Competition and then swap/sell for something that fits me?

Please help me, if I buy this bike, it will be the 6th one in as many months. I have a sickness.
Old 03-23-08, 11:33 PM
The Zookeeper

Bikes: 2007 Trek 4300 MTB, 2007 Trek T900 Tandem, 1980 Schwinn Le Tour (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main bike is a 14" (I think) frame that fits great, but I also use a tandem that is a 19" (again I believe) frame for the captain (my son is in back as a stroker). So its a big difference. I can't quite straddle the bar with both feet flat on the ground, but if I off-center myself or the bike a little I am fine (I'm 5'2"). None of the adjustments I made required changing parts, and when I'm riding then everything is fine. I would never pilot the tandem with an adult or a heavier child, but for peddling to the park its great.

So I guess you might be able to make it fit, but it may not be ideal. You'll have to decide if its worth getting or waiting for something else. I made mine fit because there were very few options in my area or price range.

PS - If this makes no sense because I'm tired I apologize.
Old 03-24-08, 06:22 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
How much bigger is the Competition GS? How much seat post is showing and how long of a stem are you using on the Gran Sport? All important questions.

Personally, I can ride anything between about a 56 ctt to a 60ctc depending on how long the top tube and stem combo starts to stretch me out. My racing bike is a 56 ctt Fuji Team Issue, set up fairly agressively so I can get down out of the wind in sprints and pulls with the group. However I am more comfortable on my 57.5 ctc 1986 Serotta which has a little less saddle to bar drop but about the same effective reach distance to the bars. Also comfortable is the 58.5 ctc 1983 Gazelle Champion Mondial which I have done numerous long rides on. My largest bike, a 60 or 61cm ctc sized Centurion, even with little saddle to bar drop distance I always felt fairly stretched out on even with a 90mm stem. Which is the reason it is currently for sale while I look for something closer back to the 57-58cm size.

In short, if the bike is within a cm or two of your Gran Sport, and the Gran Sport is set up fairly agressively, then yes, chances are you can make it fit you nearly as well as the Gran Sport. But there's still a few "if's" to be answered. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-08, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Measure the top tube and se if you can make up the difference in length with a different stem. If you can get it close, I would go for it. Some touring riders prefer a slightly bigger frame so that it's easier to get the bars higher.
Old 03-25-08, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will Do!

I will write down all the Gran Sprt's measurements, and take them with me when I check out the Competition. Need to make sure about fender stays, eyelets, etc. anyway....need to check clearance for (possibly) wider tires as well.

Thanks all!

Lisa