Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Get a new bike or fix up old one?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-16-08, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old Schwinn Super Sport. I bought it last summer for $120. I took it to the LBS today, and asked what it would take for a tune-up. They quoted me $320: replace cables, new rear wheel, new freewheel, repack bottom & head brackets, true front wheel, adjust brakes, etc.

Obviously, now I'm considering ditching this bike. It served me well, but it seems to be on its last leg.

The LBS has an overhauled Peugot for $240. But I wonder if that will be dead like my Schwinn in a year or two.

Do you think now is the time to get a brand new bike? But how can I convince my wife that $600 is a good investment for a bike?
Old 02-16-08, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm all for recycling, whenever feasible. Less stuff for the landfill.

If you are just using it for a commuter and such, why not have it reconditioned? It'll probably then be fine for years, with nominal routine maintenance.
Old 02-16-08, 10:37 PM
Eternal n00b

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Marin Mount Vision, '94 Bontrager Racelite, Mirraco Blink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah man, fix it FTW!

Bikes: Custom Holland Ti road bike, Custom track bike I traded a painting for.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sell it on criaglist.

take the money and buy a new bike.

don't worry about convincing your wife... that's what got you in this position in the first place

sheeet, if i had a bf/husband that tried to control my bike purchases I would have to kick him in the shin and dump him, but that's just me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote2
If you are just using it for a commuter and such, why not have it reconditioned? It'll probably then be fine for years, with nominal routine maintenance.
I probably should've specified my riding. I mostly ride for fun & exercise, but I'm really wanting to race a little. I foresee cycling being a life-long hobby.
Old 02-16-08, 10:43 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flooshee
I probably should've specified my riding. I mostly ride for fun & exercise, but I'm really wanting to race a little. I foresee cycling being a life-long hobby.
You'll always need a foul weather training bike/commuter. Fix it up, ride it like hell, and start saving for a race bike, if you want to race. That reconditioned Peugot won't be any better as a race bike.
Old 02-16-08, 10:48 PM
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless your Schwinn Super Sport has extreme sentimental value, sell it and get a new bike. You'll enjoy riding more.
Old 02-16-08, 10:54 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old Schwinn Super Sport. I bought it last summer for $120. I took it to the LBS today, and asked what it would take for a tune-up. They quoted me $320: replace cables, new rear wheel, new freewheel, repack bottom & head brackets, true front wheel, adjust brakes, etc.
You could save a lot of money doing most of that stuff yourself. And, you'd learn a lot too (if you already know how, then you'd just save a lot of money, but, hey, that's good in itself).
Old 02-17-08, 12:47 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terror_in_pink
sell it on criaglist.

take the money and buy a new bike.

don't worry about convincing your wife... that's what got you in this position in the first place

sheeet, if i had a bf/husband that tried to control my bike purchases I would have to kick him in the shin and dump him, but that's just me.
+1
Old 02-17-08, 01:21 AM
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain, wear and repair suck, $350 new shifters and cables just this past friday. Last year I broke two rear derailleurs about a $75 each time. Stock wheel set was constantly having problems so I replaced $450 wheel set. That is just the stuff that broke on my $800 Motobecane Cyclocross and doesn’t include normal wear and tear stuff, new cassettes, chains, saddle, tape and brake pads. This last purchase I was seriously thinking about purchasing a new bike instead decided to repair. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-17-08, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
1. The bike shop's $320.00 estimate is just an estimate. If they do that much work on your bike there is a better-than-average chance they are going to encounter some additional needed parts - chain, cassette, hub overhaul maybe wheel replacement - who knows.

2. The Peugot, if you use it very much, will definitely need service in the next year or two. How old is it? The older it is the more service it's likely to need and the more complicated the service is likely to become. Old French bikes can have parts problems.

If you can do the work yourself, it almost always pays to fix up an old bike. Even if it doesn't cost out very well you still have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

If you feel that you have to pay somebody else to do it, you're halfway to the price of a new bike. Every single part will be brand new. Every single part was designed to work with every other part. You'll get fitting help and a free tune up. You'll also get a new bike warranty. Wouldn't be a difficult decision for me.
Old 02-17-08, 07:18 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Obviously, now I'm considering ditching this bike. It served me well, but it seems to be on its last leg.

The LBS has an overhauled Peugot for $240. But I wonder if that will be dead like my Schwinn in a year or two.

Do you think now is the time to get a brand new bike? But how can I convince my wife that $600 is a good investment for a bike?
Depends if it really needs all that stuff or recommended under the "guise" of a tune up. Owning a bike shop is a tough business. If they can sell you "preventive maintenance" they will as they size up your knowledge. If you are going to sell the bike, run the wheels off of it. If it really need a new rear wheel, then try to find one and put it on yourself...it may only need to be trued if that. A nice bike is minimum $600...perhaps lightly used. If you can't wrench bike ownership now just doubled in cost. If you learn to wrench, you can buy most parts on ebay and build your own bikes for a fraction.
Good Luck.
Old 02-17-08, 07:48 AM

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the parts you need and a copy of Zinn and DIY.
Old 02-17-08, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've never sold a bike. When I buy a new bike, the old one gets set up for some other purpose: commuter, rain bike (with permanent fenders), fixed gear, etc. The only time I've junked a bike is after I got hit by a car. The fork was bent and it was an old frame, so I found a new frame on eBay and rebuilt the bike around the new frame.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-17-08, 08:12 AM

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canthidefromme
You could save a lot of money doing most of that stuff yourself. And, you'd learn a lot too (if you already know how, then you'd just save a lot of money, but, hey, that's good in itself).
+1

Also, from what it sounds like, you will have a pretty solid machine when the job is done worthy of many years to come.

for a racing bike, keep socking the $$$ away, and treat yourself when you know it is a hobby you will continue. This one will then move over to the rough and tumble detail.

...on a group ride a few weeks back there was an older gentleman who was riding a sharp, flawless Pinarello he bought in 1983....said it was his "winter bike".
Old 02-17-08, 08:47 AM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep it, fix it yourself. Learn. And by a new bike, better up the budget though. Keep the old one as a back up.
Old 02-17-08, 08:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$440 ($120 + 320)for an old Super Sport is a poor investment. Sell it on craigslist as suggested earlier and look hard (craigslist or eBay) for look something in the $400-500 range like a Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc.
Old 02-17-08, 10:19 AM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squarewheels
$440 ($120 + 320)for an old Super Sport is a poor investment. Sell it on craigslist as suggested earlier and look hard (craigslist or eBay) for look something in the $400-500 range like a Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc.
I second this...sell on craigslist, buy on craigslist!!!