Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best Bike for training while traveling

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 08:55 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts

I race (not terribly sucessfully) and also travel a lot on business. I'm considering getting a folder to train with while on the road.

My criteria: 1) $2000 budget;
2) easy packing for airline travel, preferably in a single suit case;
3) capable enough to jump in the local training races, fast rides.

I've looked at Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Airnimal Chameleon, and a Ritchie Breakaway.

Any other good canidates?
Old 02-06-08, 09:21 AM
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
For $2k, you pretty much have it covered. I suppose you could also throw a Swift into the mix as well.

Hopefully soon, this will be a contender as well.
Old 02-06-08, 09:25 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11
For $2k, you pretty much have it covered. I suppose you could also throw a Swift into the mix as well.

Except that it might cost more than $2K.
Old 02-06-08, 09:33 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I race (not terribly sucessfully) and also travel a lot on business. I'm considering getting a folder to train with while on the road.

I've looked at Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Airnimal Chameleon, and a Ritchie Breakaway.

If you are light enough, you might want to consider the Pocket Rocket Pro. Although it will take you a bit over the top of the $2K budget.

I will add that the Bike Friday bikes ...

(1) Pack considerably quicker than the Breakaway and S&S Coupler bikes. Judging from the local bike club, I essentially can pack/unpack my wife's and my Bike Friday in the amount of time they claim it takes them to do the same procedure.

(2) Are nice for travel since you can easily fit one in a cab or rental car.

I don't know whether (1) applies to the Chameleon. But (2) almost certainly does.
Old 02-06-08, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I like This One.. and the New Version is on the horizon.
Old 02-06-08, 07:05 PM

Bikes: cannondale topstone, caad 10, trek superfly, bike friday pocket rocket

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
i have a breakaway and a pocket rocket. granted i hardly travel at all (why do i have these bikes? long story) BUT the Pocket Rocket, although it is unfortunately named, is easier and quicker to set up and ride than is the Breakaway. Its also more versatile should you decide to do some kind of a tour. the suitcase, while large, is still a great deal more convenient to carry and store and sturdier than the Breakaway case. having said all that i love the breakaway and its my favorite everyday bike. I flew with it across the country to ride a century last summer instead of the Pocket Rocket. i'm sure with practice it can be put together and taken apart more quickly in less time (and foul language) than it takes me). If you ever think you might tour, though, i'd probably go with the Bike Friday. the Ritchey has no accommodations for racks etc.
Old 02-06-08, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11

I WANT THIS BIKE!!!!!! GASP GASP
Old 02-06-08, 11:16 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delwong
I WANT THIS BIKE!!!!!! GASP GASP
That looks friggin' awesome.
(And I've never liked the BF look... the typical rounded handlepost always puts me off)

Do yourself a favour and if you haven't... read their page and click the movie link.
https://www.bikefriday.com/node/6056

Wait until you see the profile of the seatpost.

That is a sweet machine. Any details on the gearing? Capreo?
Another pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lelebebbel/2256504984/

wheels look like 451... is that typical on the BF models?

Last edited by 4cmd3; 02-11-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 12:16 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is _exactly_ what I do with my bike. I used a Downtube last year, but to get it in a case is a little tricky and it takes a lot of disassembly. It's weird, the fold is very quick, but to get it in a suitcase takes quite a bit of disassembly.

A few months ago I bought a Bike Friday Air Friday off of Ebay. It cost about $1200. It fits in a suitcase very easily. From suitcase to a rideable bike takes about 15 minutes in my hotel room and the only tool is a 5mm allen (I think). It's a much better ride and I have no problem putting in some good mileage. The Air Friday fold isn't that great, but it's super easy to disassemble and stick in a suitcase.

As far as gearing goes, I don't think it's necessary to go Capreo. If you're going to spend time in a paceline or group riding, then I understand it, but if you're just rolling alone on your own, then it's just overkill. My bike has 62/52 front chainrings, and I could probably run the entire time in the small one. I've seriously considered changing to a 54/40. That would be good for nearly 30mph at 100 rpm. Honestly, how long can I maintain that on my own? Not too freakin' long! If I get caught on some really steep hills, the 40 small ring would really come in handy.

Let us know what you come up with.
Old 02-11-08, 03:13 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I've looked at Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Airnimal Chameleon, and a Ritchie Breakaway. Any other good canidates?
I'd stick with Bike Friday. Accept no substitutes.

Seriously, it's got the best blend of packability and performance. Ritchie is very nice, but takes more time to pack. BF will also be fully custom; tell 'em what you want, what size you want it, and you're set. I believe fabrication takes 30-60 days, much less than a lot of other custom shops.

The Swift will perform as well as the BF and is much less expensive ($700), but it's harder to pack and it's limited to a single front chainring.

The main hitch about the 20" wheels is that the handling is, to put it mildly, "responsive" and you'll get more frame buzz. You may want to skip on the Stelvios. It'll take a few days to get used to it.
Old 02-11-08, 06:22 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It should be noted that all 20" wheels are not the same and the speedier Fridays use bigger 451 wheels rather than the more common 406 - meaning about 45mm extra diameter for a slightly more big-wheel feel. Tyres for those rims are also more racer orientated. I'd go BF or Airnimal. Airnimal is probably less fun to pack with it's 520 wheels though.
Old 02-12-08, 09:18 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a Ritchey BreakAway for about 2 1/2 years. It has been to Taiwan 8 or 9 times and to Australia once. It is the only bike that I ride, so it is important to me to be able to take it with me when I travel. Anyway, I love the bike, but the travel case is a bit lame. I guess everything can't be a 10...

If anyone is serious about a BreakAway, I recommend GVHBikes.com. They buy frames and forks and can build it up however you like.