Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Best tire for skidding thats durable?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Best tire for skidding thats durable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 12:35 AM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.pickles
SRYSLY? I briefly tried a pair of Special-Ed road clinchers that were slicker than cat sh1t on a linoleum floor riding on wet pavement (yes, they were broken-in). I dropped em like they were hot.
Weird. Do you remember which model they were? The All Condition Pro have served me extremely well in wet road conditions. About a year ago they changed the tread pattern and (I'm pretty sure) slightly changed the rubber compound too so they're even grippier than they were before.

Wet performance (lack thereof) were why I quit running the Conti Ultra 2000s I was fond of for so long. That and the fact that Conti tires are a ***** to mount on a lot of rims.
Old 02-01-08, 01:47 AM
McNightrider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JellyMeetsJam

that in the rear and something conti in the front
Thats thick and fine piece of rubber there...that would be my next rear tyres.
Old 02-01-08, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
+1 the randonneur, this is by far the best rear tire you can get. The tread is thick and perfect for skidding. The double tread technology is more like 9x tread. Also the ride performance is much better than other tires ive ridden.

Look at this picture below of a rando i just took off my bike. You can ride these tires waaaay past the red as shown below. the layers go like this: Black -> Red -> Black -> Brown -> Black -> Brown -> Black -> Brown -> Black. Count them, in this picture you cant see the last black layer, but its there.

If your not a big skidder these tires will probably last forever, also their tread pattern is optimized for rainy weather

Last edited by ksyrius; 02-01-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vee_dub
Thats thick and fine piece of rubber there...that would be my next rear tyres.
The real San Francisco treat. Everybody has a rando in the rear here. Such a good tire for skidding.
Old 02-01-08, 08:08 PM
I_luv_hooters

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
but isnt the smallest a 28? so what do u guys do, put a 28 in back and a 23 conti (or other) in front? also wont a 28 tire drag and feel slow?

Old 02-01-08, 08:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheres the best place to get those randos?

i recently put bontrager hardcases on my wheels. so far so good. no disappointments. but they were about $30 too.
Old 02-01-08, 08:40 PM
tommasini trollin'

Bikes: 2008 61cm bianchi pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters
but isnt the smallest a 28? so what do u guys do, put a 28 in back and a 23 conti (or other) in front? also wont a 28 tire drag and feel slow?
i don't really notice a difference. i have a 23 wreidstein? on the front, and it feels fine.
Old 02-01-08, 08:52 PM
I_luv_hooters

Originally Posted by fungis
i don't really notice a difference. i have a 23 wreidstein? on the front, and it feels fine.
not asking you. you post fake bikes as your own. i'm asking the SF poster. go away.

Old 02-01-08, 08:55 PM
I_luv_hooters

Originally Posted by schlukas

i recently put bontrager hardcases on my wheels. so far so good. no disappointments. but they were about $30 too.
i read on roadbikereview that those were little heavy and very slippery in the rain. i like the tread pattern and puncture resistance that they are supposed to have. you don't think they are slower than gatorskins?

Old 02-01-08, 09:03 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I dont think youll notice any difference, i mean it depends on how you ride. I do some messenging in colorado and the roads are pretty ****ty so id want a wider tire for more stability. 23c is meant for road racing the rando is for urban. I just put a 25c ultra sport on my rear to replace my rando and i actually think it feels worse. But unless you live in san francisco youll probably have to order the rando's online or through your LBS.

Also i dont think youll have any trouble with flats, as you can see there are 7 layers of casing after you go through the first two tread layers.

For the front i usually run a 23c, 25cs are also good since they corner a little better in bad conditions and also are a little burlier meaning that if you hit a big pothole at a weird angle they wont tear open.
Old 02-01-08, 09:07 PM
tommasini trollin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not asking you. you post fake bikes as your own. i'm asking the SF poster. go away.

i didn't post as my own, i mis-interpreted the context of the thread i posted it in. i felt it was worthy to share with the community. my bad for people twisting **** around to feel justified in hating for no reason at all. if you wanna be a dick, fine. but that's not going to stop me from trying to share what possible helpful advice i may have with you.
Old 02-01-08, 09:10 PM
I_luv_hooters

but how do i know your advice is real? you could be lying about everything. you implied that it was your bike to get praise from everyone. you answered everyone's questions about it. then got exposed. maybe now you've never tried vittoria's randonneurs, so i would rather hear it from somebody who isnt fake.

Old 02-01-08, 09:14 PM
I_luv_hooters

Originally Posted by ksyrius
For the front i usually run a 23c, 25cs are also good since they corner a little better in bad conditions and also are a little burlier meaning that if you hit a big pothole at a weird angle they wont tear open.
Which front tire do u ride? I'm sold on those randonneurs now. That layer picture and the testimonials did it. I use a front brake 20% of the time and skid/skip the rest of the time. gatorskins grip too hard and make a difficult skid when you need one. I need a gator-like tire I guess, but a nicer ride.

Old 02-01-08, 09:24 PM
tommasini trollin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but how do i know your advice is real? you could be lying about everything. you implied that it was your bike to get praise from everyone. you answered everyone's questions about it. then got exposed. maybe now you've never tried vittoria's randonneurs, so i would rather hear it from somebody who isnt fake.

i never answered ANY questions ABOUT it. i answered A question about the size of MY bike. exposed? how? I NEVER SAID IT WAS MINE ******BAG. you don't have to listen to what i say, but what the hell would be the point in me lying? but, whatever. i'm just telling you what i know.
Old 02-01-08, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quit being a dumbass.

to answer you rquestion I am now riding 23c 4seasons in front/ 25c gatorskin rear, and before that I had 23c 4seasons front/ 28c gator rear and there was no discernable difference, except the 28 felt better on ****ty roads.
Old 02-01-08, 09:38 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
well for the front ive got an ultra race tire. i like these becuase they have a kevlar lining unlike the ultra sports. Right now ive got a 25c ultra race in the front. When i got this tire my previous front had just tore so i was in need of a quick fix so this isnt neccessarily my first choice.

When you pick a front you should think about how your gonna ride. Do you carry a pump to fix a flat if you got one ? if the answer is no then maybe you should have a more puncture resistant tire. Also do you care about price ? for me i dont wear through fronts too fast so price isnt a big deal. Also do you need performance or versatility ? for me i want some versatility because the weather gets sketchy out here, but if its dry in your parts most of the time go for performance.

Personally on my road bike i like to run Michelin Pro Race 2's. They are super light tires and they have the best ride quality ive ever ridden on. The tread compound they use is "soft" which means it kinda feels like a pencil eraser but it grips super well and feels buttery when your rolling. Also the puncture resistance is better than average. But theyre like 40 bucks each. You can get these pro races in a few color options which is kinda cool.

Ive also ridden a vittoria tri comp, this tire is good if you like high pressure i think the clincher goes all the way upto 160 if you want, but past 120 and its like riding on a rock. Good tires, these are also available in colors, and if white is your thing this is the only reasonably easy to find white wall tire for 700c.

performance: michelin pr2
versatility: Basically any conti, if you want puncture resistance make sure its got kevlar.
Old 02-01-08, 09:51 PM
I_luv_hooters

Originally Posted by pirate
quit being a dumbass.

to answer you rquestion I am now riding 23c 4seasons in front/ 25c gatorskin rear... blahblah
good for you. did i ask you? i asked ksyrius.

Old 02-01-08, 09:56 PM
I_luv_hooters

Originally Posted by ksyrius
well for the front ive got an ultra race tire. i like these becuase they have a kevlar lining unlike the ultra sports. Right now ive got a 25c ultra race in the front. When i got this tire my previous front had just tore so i was in need of a quick fix so this isnt neccessarily my first choice.

When you pick a front you should think about how your gonna ride. Do you carry a pump to fix a flat if you got one ? if the answer is no then maybe you should have a more puncture resistant tire. Also do you care about price ? for me i dont wear through fronts too fast so price isnt a big deal. Also do you need performance or versatility ? for me i want some versatility because the weather gets sketchy out here, but if its dry in your parts most of the time go for performance.

Personally on my road bike i like to run Michelin Pro Race 2's. They are super light tires and they have the best ride quality ive ever ridden on. The tread compound they use is "soft" which means it kinda feels like a pencil eraser but it grips super well and feels buttery when your rolling. Also the puncture resistance is better than average. But theyre like 40 bucks each. You can get these pro races in a few color options which is kinda cool.

Ive also ridden a vittoria tri comp, this tire is good if you like high pressure i think the clincher goes all the way upto 160 if you want, but past 120 and its like riding on a rock. Good tires, these are also available in colors, and if white is your thing this is the only reasonably easy to find white wall tire for 700c.

performance: michelin pr2
versatility: Basically any conti, if you want puncture resistance make sure its got kevlar.
well, currently i'm running ultra race on the front, too. my other bike has a michelin lithion up front, so its similar to your set up. lithion isnt as good as the prorace 2 but i havent gotten a flat yet. my gators are starting to get worn, so i think i'll try the randonneurs next (leaving the fronts like i have). thanks for your help ksyrius. that picture is awesome with all the layers.

Old 02-02-08, 08:22 AM
TARCK BIKE DOT COM

Bikes: your mother on wheeeeeelz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i read on roadbikereview that those were little heavy and very slippery in the rain. i like the tread pattern and puncture resistance that they are supposed to have. you don't think they are slower than gatorskins?
Having never run gatorskins I can't say which is slower, but these tires dont feel "slow" to me, and i've had everwears. They are a little heavy and pretty slick after you've done some skidding on them, but its not like riding on ice.
Old 02-02-08, 08:24 AM
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fungis
i never answered ANY questions ABOUT it. i answered A question about the size of MY bike. exposed? how? I NEVER SAID IT WAS MINE ******BAG. you don't have to listen to what i say, but what the hell would be the point in me lying? but, whatever. i'm just telling you what i know.
Hai guyz...here's a pic of me on one my club ridez. Im on the left.
We all use vittoria tyres.

Last edited by deathhare; 02-02-08 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-02-08, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Interesting that you and your riding buddy have downtube shifters for the front rings.

Originally Posted by deathhare
Hai guyz...here's a pic of me on one my club ridez. Im on the left.
We all use vittoria tyres.

Old 02-02-08, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Use a brake you dope! Tires are a helluva lot more expensive than brake shoes.
Old 02-02-08, 10:40 PM
SUPREME!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard foam tires are very good for skidding. and no air is needed. how cool!
Old 02-05-08, 01:28 PM
Man of Men

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a while back i got 3 Continental UltraSports on Ebay for $40 shipped. They've lasted me quite some time now, but this could be to said "stickiness" of the rubber. also a bit hard to get on the rim, definitely a two man job if you don't have vicegrip hands. overall, some of the nicest i've had for sure.

BUUUUUUT. the guy next to me in my lecture with his pants rolled up told me HIMSELF these are the best. u b skidn lyk HAINES.
https://www.airfreetires.com/Bicycle/...0&Diameter=622
Old 02-05-08, 01:37 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djmanc5
a while back i got 3 Continental UltraSports on Ebay for $40 shipped. They've lasted me quite some time now, but this could be to said "stickiness" of the rubber. also a bit hard to get on the rim, definitely a two man job if you don't have vicegrip hands. overall, some of the nicest i've had for sure.

BUUUUUUT. the guy next to me in my lecture with his pants rolled up told me HIMSELF these are the best. u b skidn lyk HAINES.
https://www.airfreetires.com/Bicycle/...0&Diameter=622
Yea i saw these a while back i was wondering how do you get these on and off ?? even so i bet they ride like crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.