Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Nokian Studded tires

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Nokian Studded tires

Old 12-09-07, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nokian Studded tires

I'm looking at studded tires

I want to put studded tires on my MTB for both commuting and having the ability to hit some trails when ice and cold would otherwise prevent it. I have a 29er mountain bike (Fisher Cobia). I will be using them on plowed roads, unplowed roads, dry pavement with patches of ice, and hopefully some trails in my free time when icy weather won't allow using normal knobby MTB tires

Peter White has the Hakkapeliitta W240 for $78 each. It is only a 40mm wide tire, and I'm not sure how this relatively narrow tire will handle off-road conditions if I use it for recreation on trails.

If anyone can speak to the durability of this tire in these conditions (both on and off road) I would love to hear about it.

Any alternative tire recommendations are welcome.

The description of the W240 at Peter White's web site follows:
OK. So you've got a bike that takes 700c tires. Maybe they're called 700c, 622, 28, or maybe they're referred to with the moronic term "29er". It doesn't matter, they're the same size. And let's say you want to ride on nasty icy trails with deep icy ruts. Well, the W106 tires won't work very well, since they've only got studs in the center section. They're designed for riding on plowed roads, which don't get icy ruts (because they get plowed); just regular old ice, black ice and snow. So what are you gonna do?

And if you have a 26" mountain bike, and ride aggressively on the roads, and the roads aren't plowed well, so you end up with lots of icy ruts, and you want the lowest possible rolling resistance on pavement, this is my best tire.

Have no fear, the W240 is here!

These are for aggressive on or off road cycling. There are studs in the center as well as towards the sides of the tire, to help you get out of icy ruts. There's not much point in using these for commuting on well plowed roads that don't develop icy ruts, since you're paying for studs that will never touch pavement, or ice, and that's sorta the whole point. Weight; 910 grams. Non-foldable. 240 carbide studs.
Old 12-09-07, 02:46 PM
SwampFox

Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its too dang cold to ride here
Old 12-09-07, 02:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Leo
Its too dang cold to ride here
but the packers are playing football right now? It's like 19 degrees, plenty warm; and no I'm not being sarcastic. Wear good clothing and keep moving and you won't really even notice the cold.
Old 12-09-07, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's a balmy 22 here but it rained last night, therefore I'm sitting at home browsing studded tires rather than riding. I have layers of clothing, good gloves, but no traction (or courage to ride my bike on icy pavement)
Old 12-09-07, 03:38 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I'm able to go out in long johns, jogging pants (the very thin slippery kinda that you can rip off in 1 pull), a tshirt, and a thin sweatshirt, and i start sweating in 0 degree weather. Only thing is my ears and hands that get cold, basically
Old 12-09-07, 03:41 PM
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Just got back from a snowy mtb ride here in CO, its 10˚ out. Made my own studded tires for $5/tire. I'll post on that shortly.
Old 12-09-07, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
I'm looking at studded tires

I want to put studded tires on my MTB for both commuting and having the ability to hit some trails when ice and cold would otherwise prevent it. I have a 29er mountain bike (Fisher Cobia). I will be using them on plowed roads, unplowed roads, dry pavement with patches of ice, and hopefully some trails in my free time when icy weather won't allow using normal knobby MTB tires

Peter White has the Hakkapeliitta W240 for $78 each. It is only a 40mm wide tire, and I'm not sure how this relatively narrow tire will handle off-road conditions if I use it for recreation on trails.

If anyone can speak to the durability of this tire in these conditions (both on and off road) I would love to hear about it.

Any alternative tire recommendations are welcome.

The description of the W240 at Peter White's web site follows:
I have >1200 miles on an early set of nokain extreme 296's and they still grab sheer ice

you cannot go wrong with nokians
Old 12-09-07, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far is your commute and on what terrain? Have you thought about different tires for different applications? I bought the mount and ground 160's for my commuter but I'm making a set for off road use as well. They are different bikes, so I won't have to deal with swapping tires all the time, but I think having a tire that is designed more for the road will be better on your commute. I love the tires I have, not too knobby, but the studs do make a huge difference. If you're on the road most of the commute, I think one of the knobbier nokians may be a bit too much, but that all depends on the terrain.
Old 12-09-07, 06:31 PM
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In alabama it was 75 degrees today.. I rode in shorts and short sleves... and I log on to find 5 threads on studded tires.
Old 12-09-07, 06:36 PM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB
In alabama it was 75 degrees today.. I rode in shorts and short sleves... and I log on to find 5 threads on studded tires.
You dog.
Old 12-09-07, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB
That's cool and all, but I like the 4 seasons. Maybe skiing has something to do with it, but I like it up here.
Old 12-09-07, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cross posted this to Commuting. There are lots of reviews there too, just in case anyone comes across the archive and wants to read further.

I'm going to buy some Nokians in early January. I checked my finances and can't drop nearly $200 on tires right now and still buy all of the holiday gifts I planned. I started goofing around with some old cyclocross tires I had, to make homemades, and I don't think they are going to be usable on both pavement and ice like the Nokians. I'm just going to wait, ride carefully, let some air out of my tires, and try my commute on ice in the morning with my mountain bike on regular knobbies. I've always driven on icy days, but I took a short ride tonight and I think it will be doable if I take it easy.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 12-09-07, 09:33 PM
They Exist

Bikes: Yeti 575, Intense Tracer, Specialized Rubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I'm complaining because it's 60 today.....

Think I'll head for Alabama.