Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

"More Evidence We've Entered the End of Oil"

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 01:25 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

This story may express the rapidly growing need for more Utility
cycles and utility cycling in north america. Better ,safer, roads that
have bike lanes , new laws to make room for utility cycling.

The story.........

"There is growing concern within the petroleum industry that we are approaching a limit to the amount of oil that can be pumped each day, and it might arrive before alternative fuels can be adopted on a large enough scale to avert severe energy shortages, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The story offers what the Journal calls "a significant twist" on the theory of peak oil while underscoring the urgent call to move beyond oil that the International Energy Agency made earlier this month in its annual World Energy Outlook. Taken together, they make a convincing argument that we've entered the end of oil and must move quickly, boldly and decisively to supplant oil as our primary source of energy."

The rest of the story.........

https://blog.wired.com/cars/2007/11/the-end-of-oil.html

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-22-07, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my god! No gas anymore! What will I do...?!

Oh wait, I don't even have a car so what do I care?

Can I just point and laugh as the townies with their armoured personnel carriers have to give them away to homeless people for them to live in?
Old 11-22-07, 06:52 PM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marrock
I sincerely hope you are joking. On the off chance you are not... the goods and services we ALL depend on are dependent on gas/oil. Unless you are growing 100% of the food you eat and making your own clothing by shearing sheep you keep penned up in your back yard, an oil shortage WILL affect you. Personally, I like buying T.P. with the little quilting that doesn't irritate my bum, corn husks (the oil-free alternative) can be so abrasive on the delicate parts.
Old 11-22-07, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
Personally, I like buying T.P. with the little quilting that doesn't irritate my bum, corn husks (the oil-free alternative) can be so abrasive on the delicate parts.
There's always the three seashells...

And, if you'd notice, I said gasoline, I didn't mention diesel which has an easily and cheaply made replacement, biodiesel.

I've been doing some research into that and once I sort out the whys and wherefores of making my own I'll be looking into getting another vehicle, maybe a nice diesel Mercedes or a diesel powered pickup.

And considering some of the things they're making from corn and soy I'm not too worried about my trips to the supermarket... hells, you can even get a petroleum free chain lube now from an outfit called Bio-Lube.
Old 11-22-07, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think about it: personal automobile usage will be restricted/regulated long before commercial transportation. We're not going to wake up one day with no petroleum. The USA and the American people need to get with the program.
Old 11-22-07, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can we still point and laugh at them?
Old 11-22-07, 10:08 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
"Although production capacity at new fields is expected to increase over the next five years, it is very uncertain whether it will be sufficient to compensate for the decline in output at existing fields and meet the projected increase in demand. A supply-side crunch in the period to 2015, involving an abrupt escalation in oil prices, cannot be ruled out."

Translation: The oil party is over, time for the morning-after hangover.... and it's going to hurt.

I for one am looking forward to fewer gas-burning cars on the streets.
Old 11-22-07, 10:10 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Can we still point and laugh at them?
I already laugh at the cagers around me every time I go past a gas station and see the prices.
Old 11-22-07, 10:36 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
There's always the three seashells...

And, if you'd notice, I said gasoline, I didn't mention diesel which has an easily and cheaply made replacement, biodiesel.

I've been doing some research into that and once I sort out the whys and wherefores of making my own I'll be looking into getting another vehicle, maybe a nice diesel Mercedes or a diesel powered pickup.

And considering some of the things they're making from corn and soy I'm not too worried about my trips to the supermarket... hells, you can even get a petroleum free chain lube now from an outfit called Bio-Lube.
Marrock, you may not realize that corn, soy, and perhaps to some extent biodiesel, are produced using fossil fuel for powering agricultural equipment, refrigeration and transportation of food, and production of fertilizer. No oil, no eat.
Old 11-22-07, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just about all agricultural equipment is powered by diesel... and I already stated how hard that is to work around.
Old 11-23-07, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my god! No gas anymore! What will I do...?!

Sorry to burst your bubble but petroleum affects your life in far more ways than just how you travel.

What has to be considered are the transport of all your goods (such as food), the use of petroleum in manufacturing (such as plastics), aviation travel, home heating, etc.
Old 11-23-07, 05:20 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
The OP quoted an article from the Wall Street Journal...Tom Whipple a former CIA analyst writes a weekly column about Peak Oil.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-23-07, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwoloz
Sorry to burst your bubble but petroleum affects your life in far more ways than just how you travel.

What has to be considered are the transport of all your goods (such as food), the use of petroleum in manufacturing (such as plastics), aviation travel, home heating, etc.
They can make plastic from corn and soy, and diesel fuel from old used cooking oil, pretty much anything you need petroleum for can be made from plants or other renewable sources.

Do a little research online and you'd be amazed at the things they're doing now that they have no choice.
Old 11-23-07, 10:37 AM
Asshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty much anything you need petroleum for can be made from plants or other renewable sources
Then people won't stop driving:

their armoured personnel carriers
and people won't have to:

give them away to homeless people for them to live in
Old 11-23-07, 01:33 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
They can make plastic from corn and soy, and diesel fuel from old used cooking oil, pretty much anything you need petroleum for can be made from plants or other renewable sources.

Do a little research online and you'd be amazed at the things they're doing now that they have no choice.
You're really not getting it. To make all those plant-based products, you need large scale agriculture. Large scale argriculture runs on fossil fuel for planting and harvesting, providing fertilizer, transportation, refrigeration, packaging. Fossil fuels have some overlap and interchangeability. If the supply of oil doesn't keep up with demand, all fossil fuels will be in short supply before long. We won't grow as much corn, or soy, and what we do grow will either be protected for food, or people will starve.
It's going to be a hard transition. You can't replace all of America's oil-based products with plant based products if you suddenly don't have the oil to grow the plants.

Last edited by cooker; 11-23-07 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-23-07, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
You're really not getting it. To make all those plant-based products, you need large scale agriculture. Large scale argriculture runs on fossil fuel for planting and harvesting, providing fertilizer, transportation, refrigeration, packaging. Fossil fuels have some overlap and interchangeability. If the supply of oil doesn't keep up with demand, all fossil fuels will be in short supply before long. We won't grow as much corn, or soy, and what we do grow will either be protected for food, or people will starve.
It's going to be a hard transition. You can't replace all of America's oil-based products with plant based products if you suddenly don't have the oil to grow the plants.
I think it would be possible to grow and harvest corn etc for fuel using vegetable oils, but I think that when you take out how much you will need to grow next years crop there may not be much left....
Old 11-23-07, 05:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm done trying to reason with you... it's like talking to a rock, or an SUV driver, instead go educate yourself.

https://www.biodieselamerica.org/

I'm out.
Old 11-24-07, 12:08 AM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm done trying to reason with you... it's like talking to a rock, or an SUV driver, instead go educate yourself.

https://www.biodieselamerica.org/

I'm out.
Maybe it's YOU that is the rock???

Biodiesel can NOT replace the amount of oil that we're burning... not even if you take EVERY SINGLE bit of food crops and convert it to biodiesel.

And then... what are you gonna do for food?
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-24-07, 12:13 AM
Crankenstein

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh... I get it.

Location: A secret laboratory located somewhere on Clinton Road.
Originally Posted by Janesville Gazete
CLINTON, IA - A new biodiesel plant will use new technology to make biodiesel for less money and space than traditional plants, the company's president said. The village last week sold 2.8 acres in its industrial park to Midwest Biofuel, based out of Macon, Ga. Tuesday night, the plan commission approved the company's site plan-minus a storm water management plan-for a 6,000-square-foot biodiesel plant that will create 22 to 25 jobs.
Must be big news locally... lots of talk in the press about how it's going to save the world, right?

Check into how many gallons of oil go into producing an acre of corn... and then look into how many gallons of biodiesel that you can get out of one acre of corn... See how well it balances out.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-25-07, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Oh... I get it.

Must be big news locally... lots of talk in the press about how it's going to save the world, right?

Check into how many gallons of oil go into producing an acre of corn... and then look into how many gallons of biodiesel that you can get out of one acre of corn... See how well it balances out.

No problem. You can make biofuels from human fat. Obesity epidemic and global warming solved. Where do I pick up the Peace Prize?

Old 11-26-07, 03:12 PM
Crankenstein

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stax
No problem. You can make biofuels from human fat. Obesity epidemic and global warming solved. Where do I pick up the Peace Prize?

I'll just leave THAT topic alone.
Old 11-26-07, 06:20 PM
Utility Cyclist

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, KHS Urban-X ; Dahon D7; Specialized Streetstomper (awaiting rebirth)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to reread essays by Wendell Berry. If you are not familiar with him, start reading his books. He wrote about agriculture, and had plenty to say about modern agriculture and petroleum. Rather than do his writings a grave injustice by attempting to offer a precis, check him out for yourself.
Old 11-26-07, 06:56 PM
I like bikes

Bikes: Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grow vegies, shoot deer, get eggs from chickens, and soon to get a cow. I think the food issue is solved.
Old 12-04-07, 07:06 PM
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The moment a food crisis hits, deer and other game animals wll go extinct within hours.
We do have plenty of alternative fuel options to run agriculture.. but not enough to commute and ship everything everywhere.
Old 12-04-07, 08:25 PM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr.raleigh
I grow vegies, shoot deer, get eggs from chickens, and soon to get a cow. I think the food issue is solved.
better start growing your own deer !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.