Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How to get fat without really trying

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 11:26 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Good watch, about 10 mins

It's the year of the enema!
Old 11-18-07, 12:23 PM

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all factual though hunh? "You have to bike for an hour to burn the calories in this soda"
How slow does Jennings bike? Pretty good overall though.
Old 11-18-07, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Pretty powerful stuff.

Old 11-18-07, 01:13 PM
( 8n(|) DOH!!

Bikes: Scattante R670

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha....I knew it wasn't my fault!

I love noodles.
Old 11-18-07, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was still my fault..I ate the cheeseburgers, I ate the FF, I drank the soda...I knew what I was doing and I knew it would kill me. Just as I take credit for my weight loss I take the blame for becoming a whale to begin with.
Old 11-18-07, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Old one... don't recall at the moment :(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do wish they would advertise things like vegetables and fruits as "cool" that would be such a strange thing to watch, but funny and cool. Very interesting watch.
Old 11-18-07, 10:47 PM
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot

Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1000 - Spartan112 - Amen to that! So many excuses! Tough love!
Old 11-19-07, 06:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Chunky...are there outside factors that are complicit in our cultural obesity? Sure, but ulitmately it comes down to each person accepting responsibility for their own health. Where I get concerned is when I see the sheer numbers of fat kids...I'm a teacher and it shocks me to see the level to which kids are almost encouraged to eat poorly.
I was always the fat kid growing up, but if I threw myself then into today I wouldn't seem that fat by comparison.
Old 11-19-07, 07:00 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Very interesting piece. I really liked the diagram of the food pyramid altered to show subsidies.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 11-19-07, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fuish
I do wish they would advertise things like vegetables and fruits as "cool" that would be such a strange thing to watch, but funny and cool. Very interesting watch.
You will never see it, because the profits on junk food are so high. However, you shouldn't blame the government, or the food companies. but rather, the individual. Everything you eat is voluntary, what is the real issue in a lot of these exposé stories, is the children, where it's the parents that make the choices. Children learning what are the proper choices to make as adults, if they learn that processed junk food is the proper choice, they are likely to make that choice for the rest of their, probably much shorter, lives.

I think the first thing to do, if your serious about diet, throw out the TV, removing those 10,000 food advertisements a year removes a lot of temptation, to just sit and eat. it also means you need to fill those hours with something else, like more bike time, going for a walk, playing games with the kids. Realise that you, personally, gain a lot more tossing a football around for an hour, then 1,000,000 hours of watching someone else do it on TV.

Second, only buy food that is grown within 100 km (60 miles) of your home, and preferably organically grown. This means buying a lot from farm markets, it also means fresher, better tasting, better for you food. Yes it means more time spent preparing it, but remember, we threw out the TV, so we have the time anyway.....

Third, if you can make a trip by bike or foot, that is preferable to driving the car. Even if that means, putting the panniers on her bike, and hooking the burly to the back of his at 5:30AM on a Saturday morning, and peddling the 5 miles to the farmers market, loading up both bikes before peddling home, in the granny gear no less.... Not only do you get better food, reduce pollution, your much less likely to buy bulky, over processed, over packaged junk food, when the amount of storage space, while travelling, is limited.
Old 11-19-07, 08:25 AM
"I... am... speed...."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow

Um Wogsterca... HOME... RUN...
Old 11-19-07, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 60's lowrider, 80's Cavaletto Centurion, 94 Specialized Rockhopper sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
You will never see it, because the profits on junk food are so high. However, you shouldn't blame the government, or the food companies. but rather, the individual. Everything you eat is voluntary, what is the real issue in a lot of these exposé stories, is the children, where it's the parents that make the choices. Children learning what are the proper choices to make as adults, if they learn that processed junk food is the proper choice, they are likely to make that choice for the rest of their, probably much shorter, lives.

I think the first thing to do, if your serious about diet, throw out the TV, removing those 10,000 food advertisements a year removes a lot of temptation, to just sit and eat. it also means you need to fill those hours with something else, like more bike time, going for a walk, playing games with the kids. Realise that you, personally, gain a lot more tossing a football around for an hour, then 1,000,000 hours of watching someone else do it on TV.

Second, only buy food that is grown within 100 km (60 miles) of your home, and preferably organically grown. This means buying a lot from farm markets, it also means fresher, better tasting, better for you food. Yes it means more time spent preparing it, but remember, we threw out the TV, so we have the time anyway.....

Third, if you can make a trip by bike or foot, that is preferable to driving the car. Even if that means, putting the panniers on her bike, and hooking the burly to the back of his at 5:30AM on a Saturday morning, and peddling the 5 miles to the farmers market, loading up both bikes before peddling home, in the granny gear no less.... Not only do you get better food, reduce pollution, your much less likely to buy bulky, over processed, over packaged junk food, when the amount of storage space, while travelling, is limited.

+millions
This is the cure for western civilization's eating woe's. I'm joining a CSA next spring and I might if I can afford eat even buy a meat share program from a place that delivers into my general area.

jim
Old 11-19-07, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this, I was just saying that I thought it would be interesting to see the flip side. That's all... lol
Old 11-19-07, 12:32 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
100 extra calories a day is 10 pounds a year.
Old 11-19-07, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fuish
I know this, I was just saying that I thought it would be interesting to see the flip side. That's all... lol
Well, like any other grass roots thing, it starts with one person, who passes a few simple little tips to others, to get a wholesale change. If everyone demands locally grown, fresh, organic food, think the grocery companies will not start to stock more of those items? Yes I know that not everything is available fresh and locally grown all year around, but many foods can be stored, or minimally processed (like frozen) for when they are not in season.

I forgot step four earlier, do not under any circumstances buy any fast food, if you have never seen it, go find a copy of Super Size Me, and watch it, see what happens to a guy who eats nothing but McDonalds for a month......
Old 11-19-07, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, like any other grass roots thing, it starts with one person, who passes a few simple little tips to others, to get a wholesale change. If everyone demands locally grown, fresh, organic food, think the grocery companies will not start to stock more of those items? Yes I know that not everything is available fresh and locally grown all year around, but many foods can be stored, or minimally processed (like frozen) for when they are not in season.

I forgot step four earlier, do not under any circumstances buy any fast food, if you have never seen it, go find a copy of Super Size Me, and watch it, see what happens to a guy who eats nothing but McDonalds for a month......
I've seen it, thanks for the info anyways