Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuters Inhale Heavy Dose of Pollution

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 09:43 PM
Slow and Steady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...oseofpollution

Driving is more hazardous than anyone knew: A heavy commuter inhales more pollution while driving than in the entire rest of the day, a new study finds.
ADVERTISEMENT

The research was done in Los Angeles, where the average driver spends 1.5 hours behind the wheel. That time in traffic accounts for 33 to 45 percent of total exposure to diesel and ultrafine particles (UFP), the study showed.

On freeways, diesel-fueled trucks are the source of the highest concentrations of harmful pollutants.

"If you have otherwise healthy habits and don't smoke, driving to work is probably the most unhealthy part of your day," said Scott Fruin, assistant professor of environmental health at the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California. "Urban dwellers with long commutes are probably getting most of their UFP exposure while driving."

Ultrafine particles are of particular concern because, unlike larger particles, they can penetrate cell walls and disperse throughout the body, Fruin said. Particulate matter has been linked to cardiovascular disease, but the ultrafine fraction on roadways appears to be more toxic than larger sizes.

Previous research found children on school buses breathe more pollution. And a study in London found people in taxis, buses, and cars all inhale substantially more pollution than cyclists and pedestrians.

In the new study, researchers measured exposure by outfitting an electric vehicle with air pollution instruments. A video recorded surrounding traffic and driving conditions on freeways and arterial roads throughout the Los Angeles region. Measurements were collected during a three-month period from February to April 2003, and four typical days were selected for a second-by-second video and statistical analysis.

"This study was the first to look at the effect of driving and traffic conditions at this level of detail and to demonstrate the specific factors leading to the highest pollutant exposures for drivers," Fruin says. "The extent that a specific type of vehicle—diesel trucks—dominated the highest concentration conditions on freeways was unexpected."

Driving with the windows closed and using recirculating air settings can modestly reduce the particle pollution exposures but does not reduce most gaseous pollutants, the researchers concluded.

"Shortening your commute and spending less time in the car will significantly reduce your total body burden of harmful pollutants," Fruin said.

The study was supported by the California Air Resources Board.
Old 10-30-07, 09:46 PM
Slow and Steady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another reason to commute by bike!

https://www.livescience.com/environme...pollution.html

On average, taxi passengers were exposed to more than 100,000 ultrafine particle counts per cubic centimeter. Bus travelers were exposed to just under 100,000 and people in cars about 40,000.

Pedestrians and bicyclists, meanwhile, were exposed to counts of just 5,000 and 8,000, respectively.

Ultrafine particles are so small that large amounts can be inhaled in a single breath, after which they can settle in the lungs and damage cells.
Old 10-30-07, 10:04 PM
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive 8 hours a day! What must my lungs be like. I need another job
Old 10-31-07, 07:06 AM

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've long thought that diesel truck engines should be forced to have stringent particulate control. It seems absolutely asinine to force cars to meet very tough (relatively) pollution standards, then you see a truck belch a nasty black cloud. What's the point?
Old 10-31-07, 07:16 AM
beer disposal technician

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if this will have any effect on the secondhand smoke alarmists. I'm guessing not.
Old 10-31-07, 08:53 AM
hiphopopotamus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VA_Dave
I wonder if this will have any effect on the secondhand smoke alarmists. I'm guessing not.

It definitely won't. In fact, I was revently involved in an argument about banning smoking inside bars. I brought up the point that we should outlaw parking garages because all of the people who work in them and use them are exposed to massive amounts of pollution. I was basically met with blank stares.

I don't mean to turn this into a discussion about smoking, but there are a lot of parallels between the two.
Old 10-31-07, 08:56 AM
hiphopopotamus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ for the record, I was being mostly sarcastic because I don't think that smoking should be outlawed in bars (like I said, this is another discussion for another time) but when you bring up cars in a bad light most people treat you like a heretic.
Old 10-31-07, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alarmists?
Old 10-31-07, 04:01 PM
beer disposal technician

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick burns
Alarmists?
Yup, alarmists. The "study" was bunk and everyone screaming "think of the children" has one hand on the wheel of their SUV and the other on a cellphone. It's nothing more than dressing up a dislike of the smell as a health issue.
Old 10-31-07, 04:18 PM

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup, alarmists. The "study" was bunk and everyone screaming "think of the children" has one hand on the wheel of their SUV and the other on a cellphone. It's nothing more than dressing up a dislike of the smell as a health issue.
If you say so.
Old 10-31-07, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've long thought cars should be equipped with HEPA and activated carbon filters to purify incoming air. If any of you here is involved with the car industry in any way, please help get this message out!

Of course, you can always buy a filter and power it off the cigarette lighter, but really who's going to do that? (OK I did, but that's me)

Then there's personal devices like respirators (search under 'pollution masks' for detailed threads) that drivers and bikers can both take advantage of. I myself use a product made by Respro; others here prefer the more rigorous half-mask respirators by manufacturers such as 3M, etc. Bottom line: They work, but ppl will look at you funny. Who cares though? It's sending out the message that 'hey, I don't want to breathe your filthy dirty air!' or possibly 'I have SARS and don't want to spread it!" Either way, you'll get people thinking...and that's always a good thing.
Old 10-31-07, 04:40 PM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500, 1998 Raleigh Tarantula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClanLee
A study in London found people in taxis, buses, and cars all inhale substantially more pollution than cyclists and pedestrians.
That's really nice to hear... I started commuting to school yesterday (), riding down an arterial road (Yonge Street for those Torontonians), and it seemed like I must have been inhaling A LOT of fumes, riding right alongside cars, trucks and busses. I assume the air's worse along a main road than along side streets.
I have to say though, I love bicycle commuting! It's fast, healthy, and convenient!
Old 10-31-07, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Bikesalot
I've long thought cars should be equipped with HEPA and activated carbon filters to purify incoming air.

Higher end GM and Toyota vehicles already have this.
Old 10-31-07, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another reason to commute by bike!

https://www.livescience.com/environme...pollution.html

On average, taxi passengers were exposed to more than 100,000 ultrafine particle counts per cubic centimeter. Bus travelers were exposed to just under 100,000 and people in cars about 40,000.

Pedestrians and bicyclists, meanwhile, were exposed to counts of just 5,000 and 8,000, respectively.

Ultrafine particles are so small that large amounts can be inhaled in a single breath, after which they can settle in the lungs and damage cells.
These are interesting numbers. It doesn't make riding a bus or taxi very attractive. I'm somewhat confused why a cyclist wouldn't inhale as much, or even more stuff if they are traveling the same route and involved in aerobic exercise?
Old 10-31-07, 04:56 PM
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ad6mj
These are interesting numbers. It doesn't make riding a bus or taxi very attractive. I'm somewhat confused why a cyclist wouldn't inhale as much, or even more stuff if they are traveling the same route and involved in aerobic exercise?
I've always figured you get it worse in a car simply because you're in an enclosed space that's drawing its "fresh" air from the street.

More importantly, when your stopped behind another vehicle, the particulates and other gasses have more time to collect in your car's interior.
Old 10-31-07, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ad6mj
I'm somewhat confused why a cyclist wouldn't inhale as much, or even more stuff if they are traveling the same route and involved in aerobic exercise?
Your "intake" while riding your bike is a few feet higher than that of a car. Also, most of the time a cyclist is not directly behind pollution spewing vehicles, but rather off to the side.

Pollutants settle inside the cage and are carried with it long after they stopped entering the vehicle. So the air inside a car is often dirtier than the air outside.
Old 10-31-07, 05:37 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, yet again we can conclude that breathing combustion by-products to be a bad idea. How is this news?
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-31-07, 06:15 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those #s are particles per cubic cm. To compare per mile, you would need to multiply by breathing rate and time exposed.
Particles inhaled could be up as high or higher for bikers than for drivers per mile.
Old 10-31-07, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
Your "intake" while riding your bike is a few feet higher than that of a car. Also, most of the time a cyclist is not directly behind pollution spewing vehicles, but rather off to the side.

Pollutants settle inside the cage and are carried with it long after they stopped entering the vehicle. So the air inside a car is often dirtier than the air outside.
Effictive Cycling expect you to stay behind the pollution spewing vehicles! Remember, lane splitting is wrong and the good cyclist waits behind the long line of cars no matter how bad the polution. After all, we all want the motorist to repect us by breathing in the same polution!
Old 10-31-07, 06:59 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Effictive Cycling expect you to stay behind the pollution spewing vehicles! Remember, lane splitting is wrong and the good cyclist waits behind the long line of cars no matter how bad the polution. After all, we all want the motorist to repect us by breathing in the same polution!
A fine idea! Perhaps I'll just add two wheels and a full body fairing while I'm playing pretend as well.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-31-07, 10:27 PM
Slow and Steady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDub
I've always figured you get it worse in a car simply because you're in an enclosed space that's drawing its "fresh" air from the street.

More importantly, when your stopped behind another vehicle, the particulates and other gasses have more time to collect in your car's interior.
Whenever I'm in the car, I ALWAYS set the air to recycle. I know that it's not going to be effective from completely blocking UFP, but I think it should help some. Am I wrong? If I am, maybe it's time to buy those high end toyotas.
Old 11-02-07, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Great,another waste of money by C.A.R.B. The same people that MAKE you get a smog test.Let's give a government agency more money to piss off.How about taking that money and making people tune up their cars to reduce pollution and give the money to people that own repair shops,so they can feed their families instead of funding more studies....
Old 04-08-08, 09:29 PM

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am surprised by the numbers. I thought cyclists would inhale more pollutants. I was sitting behind a filthy Volvo once and felt like I was going to pass out. It didn't help that I was sucking in air at the time. I pisses me off to know that we are out there trying to be healthy and strong, and yet we have to suck in fumes while sitting at traffic lights behind filthy cars. In the summer it feels like the temperature goes up 10 degrees when I am sitting at a light. Hopefully, I'll get in a few more good rides before I die of lung cancer.
Old 04-08-08, 09:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[url]
Driving is more hazardous than anyone knew: A heavy commuter inhales more pollution while driving than in the entire rest of the day, a new study finds.
What does being fat have to do with it?

(That was a joke, don't respond).
Old 04-08-08, 09:52 PM
simply bikin'

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro; 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport; 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp; 2006 Flyte Arsenal; 2001 Bianchi Reparto Corse Boron XL; 2007 Raleigh One Way; 1986 Raleigh Alyeska Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfbrother
^ for the record, I was being mostly sarcastic because I don't think that smoking should be outlawed in bars (like I said, this is another discussion for another time) but when you bring up cars in a bad light most people treat you like a heretic.
Regardless.. the difference is there are a heck of a lot more non-smokers than there are non-drivers... present company included.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.