Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel building with campy hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 09:19 AM

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've built a few wheels, all been used Shimano hubs so far. I'm getting somewhat addicted to this hobby and have been digging through parts bins and eBay for oldie but goodie hubs. The best bang for the buck were some early 32h hyperglide Dura-Ace hubs (combined for about $70), since I was able to fit a 10 speed cassette on it. I figure the average Joe assumed these old 8 speed branded hubs wouldn't work with today's groups - lucky I knew better

Thanks to this forum and Sheldon Brown's site, knowing the compatibility options for Shimano hubs and cassettes has really stretched my dollar further when building wheels.

Anyhow, not having owned a bike with campy parts I'm pretty ignorant. What I have read suggests that campy freehubs seem to be cassette specific - meaning 8/9/10 speed cassettes have dedicated freehub spline patterns. Assuming that's accurate, that makes building a campy wheelset a bit less versatile in my mind.

Also, Sheldon Brown and others have professed their admiration for Shimano hubs, as they are extremely good quality for the price (when compared to boutique Phil Wood, Chris King etc.).

If I ever do set out to build a campy hub wheelset, is it best to just buy new hubs that match the rest of the group on the specific bike, or is there some clever way to make a campy wheelset generic for a range of group generations?

Thanks
-S
Old 10-10-07, 09:37 AM
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Cannondale R-5000, Eddy Merckx Cross, Eddy Merckx Team SC, Eddy Merckx Corsa '01, Colnago Dream B-Stay, Ibis Mojo, Bianchi BUSS, Klein Rascal, Kona Explosif, SOMA Rush Fixie, and another Klein Rascal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are custom cassettes available from a few manufacturers that allow the use of a re-spaced Shimano cassette on a Shimano hub that will shift w/ Campy. However, to my knowledge none exists that allow you to use other brand cassettes on a Campagnolo hub. Or you get a wheel such as a Mavic that allows you to swap between different frrehub bodied for Campy and Shimano. So if you wanted a "universal" wheel that could work with either group you go Shimano and and have 2 cassettes (one Shimano spaced and one Campy spaced). I used to do this for nuetral race wheels and it allowed me to help quite a few riders. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-07, 09:48 AM
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
hubs

https://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/...16517958#item8
Old 10-10-07, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
8 speed Campy hubs fit 8 speed cassettes only. Campy 9 & 10 are interchangeable

edit: the chart above is great and detailed - my reply is the condensed version.
Old 10-10-07, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When buying hubs plan your choice to match the shifters you intend to use. Shifters are often the most expensive component so be sure your choice of rear hub is compatible.

Al
Old 10-10-07, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
When buying hubs plan your choice to match the shifters you intend to use. Shifters are often the most expensive component so be sure your choice of rear hub is compatible.

Al
Good advice. I suppose I won't spend the time or money building a campy wheelset until I have a target bike lined up.

Thanks all.
-S
Old 10-10-07, 06:18 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicimechanic77
There are custom cassettes available from a few manufacturers that allow the use of a re-spaced Shimano cassette on a Shimano hub that will shift w/ Campy. However, to my knowledge none exists that allow you to use other brand cassettes on a Campagnolo hub. Or you get a wheel such as a Mavic that allows you to swap between different frrehub bodied for Campy and Shimano. So if you wanted a "universal" wheel that could work with either group you go Shimano and and have 2 cassettes (one Shimano spaced and one Campy spaced). I used to do this for nuetral race wheels and it allowed me to help quite a few riders. Hope this helps.
Campagnolo has cassettes that will fit Campagnolo 8, Campagnolo 9,10, Shimano 8/9/10 and Shimano 10. All of these cassettes are interchangeable. It is a 30 second job.

Buying from eBay, I'd check to see what year the hubs were made. There was an axle change in 2006/2007 so the newer cassette bodies are not compatible with the older axles (although you can change the axles).
Old 10-10-07, 07:43 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Campagnolo has cassettes that will fit Campagnolo 8, Campagnolo 9,10, Shimano 8/9/10 and Shimano 10. All of these cassettes are interchangeable. It is a 30 second job.
Do I read this right: Are you saying that:

1. Campagnolo makes cassettes that will fit Shimano 8/9/10 hubs?
2. All Campagnolo cassettes are interchangable on any hub by either manufacturer?

AFAIK:

1. Campy 8-speed cassettes won't fit Campy 9/10 hubs.
2. Campy 9/10 cassettes won't fit Campy 8-speed hubs.
3. No Campy cassette will fit any Shimano hub.

What am I missing?
Old 10-10-07, 08:35 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by HillRider
Do I read this right: Are you saying that:

1. Campagnolo makes cassettes that will fit Shimano 8/9/10 hubs?
2. All Campagnolo cassettes are interchangable on any hub by either manufacturer?

AFAIK:

1. Campy 8-speed cassettes won't fit Campy 9/10 hubs.
2. Campy 9/10 cassettes won't fit Campy 8-speed hubs.
3. No Campy cassette will fit any Shimano hub.

What am I missing?
Using the same current CAMPAGNOLO HUB, you can change CAMPAGNOLO FREEHUBS to accept any of the listed cogsets.

This includes:
Campagnolo 9/10
Shimano 8/9/10
Shimano HG10

There are other combinations that will work (but that starts to get complicated and I just wanted to point out that you can build a set of wheels with Campagnolo hubs and use it with a variety of contemporary set-ups).

Clarified?

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 10-10-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 05:31 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Using the same current CAMPAGNOLO HUB, you can change CAMPAGNOLO FREEHUBS to accept any of the listed cogsets.

This includes:
Campagnolo 9/10
Shimano 8/9/10
Shimano HG10

There are other combinations that will work (but that starts to get complicated and I just wanted to point out that you can build a set of wheels with Campagnolo hubs and use it with a variety of contemporary set-ups).

Clarified?
So the Campy hub must be a 2008 model?

Who makes the parts that enable Shimano cassettes to be installed on a Campy hub? And is it a fit for all Campy hubs for the applicable model year?

Road Fan
Old 10-11-07, 07:30 AM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan

Who makes the parts that enable Shimano cassettes to be installed on a Campy hub?
campagnolo. For 2008 you use freehub body WH-KX10, for previous years WH-KX2.

And is it a fit for all Campy hubs for the applicable model year?
This is only for record, chorus and the higher end pre-built wheel hubs. There's no shimano freehub body for lower end (centaur and down) hubs and wheels.

The hub internals changed a few times in the freehub era. WH-KX2 should work with hubs made from 2000 on. Not sure before then, the axle was different in '99 and campy is not good about providing info on which parts are backward compatible.

Campy parts catalogs back to '94 are at:

https://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c&sec=srv

Any bike shop that can order from QBP can get you any campy part that is still in the system.

If you have questions you can always call or email campy usa tech support. The contact info is on the web site.
Old 10-11-07, 08:45 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts

This includes:
Campagnolo 9/10
Shimano 8/9/10
Shimano HG10

Clarified?
Now it is. Your original posting implied Campy made cassettes that fit all of the above freehubs.
Old 10-11-07, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicimechanic77
Even if this special cassette is rare and comparatively expensive, it seems the most economical route for a "universal" wheel is to build using decent Shimano (DA) hubs and add one of those custom cassettes. Or perhaps throw in a JTek shift mate...
Old 10-11-07, 10:27 AM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smurf hunter
Even if this special cassette is rare and comparatively expensive, it seems the most economical route for a "universal" wheel is to build using decent Shimano (DA) hubs and add one of those custom cassettes.
I'd agree, even more so since the shimano-splined campy-spaced cassettes are neither rare nor expensive. The American Classics are about $75 -- about the same as a veloce and a lockring. The Wheels Mfg are a little more, but still in the same ballpark as a chorus cassette.

Both are widely available on teh intarwebs
Old 10-11-07, 04:31 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Who makes the parts that enable Shimano cassettes to be installed on a Campy hub? And is it a fit for all Campy hubs for the applicable model year?

Road Fan
No. This compatibility goes back to 2000. Campagnolo makes freehubs that go on Campagnolo hubs that allow you to use a regular Shimano cassette. People are over thinking this one. It is just as simple as it sounds.

This does not only apply to Record hubs (although if I was going to hand build a set of wheels with Campagnolo hubs, I'd use Record. The Shimano compatible freehubs are more widely available for these since this is the most common set-up).

edit: Since there was an axle change in 2006/2007 I'd double check that the freehub was the correct model on a hub older than 2006.