Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hate to ask again: Drops on a MTB.......

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I searched for this and havent come up with anything. I am thinking about trying to put some drop bars on my MTB. But I am thinking about just keeping my current brakes/ shifter setup. And just putting them on the tops kinda like cross levers. All things I have found in search have talked about changing the shifters and brake levers.

First I thought about just getting a new stem in 26 or 31.8 (?) clamp diameter, but the bike I have has the quill stem that acts as a front brake cable stop also. So I am assuming that I am stuck with this stem. Is there a work around for changing out this stem with out spending much money. This is a $100 Raleigh we are talking about

Second I have found an old set of 25.4 diameter bars on ebay for cheap, so I think for the $10 I should get them and give it a try.

Anyone know if these things are feasable or has my brain finally went? Thanks
Old 09-21-07, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The road bars are bigger around than mountain bars- your shifters and brakes won't fit. Try some of those bar ends that are shaped like road drops. If you do decide to try to change the stem, a cable hanger is only about $5. You will spend a lot more than that trying to get everything else set up though.
Old 09-21-07, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the actually parts of the bar that you grip are also a thicker diameter than on a MTB bar?
Old 09-21-07, 04:52 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Changing over can get expensive. You've already discovered part of the problem. This could be solved with a cable hanger, either clamped onto the new quill stem or as part of the headset assembly (subs for the keyed washer). Road bars are a different diameter both at the clamp (there are some exceptions) and along the length, which precludes your simply using MTB shifters and brakes.

Another item to consider is the overall reach. The fit of the bike will change substantially, you'll probably want a shorter stem length.

Like the previous responded posted, maybe some bar end drops might give you a cheap "try before you buy"

https://cgi.ebay.com/Areo-Drop-End-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-21-07, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link dobber, i dont know why I have never seen those before. I might pick up a pair. Currently I am running Trekking bars on my bike I guess I'm just getting tired of them (still like them though).
Old 09-21-07, 05:57 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put drops on an MTB to make it a more comfortable commutter. I went with 8 speed sora Brifters and a Tiagra front derailleur. Works fine. Not terribly expensive.
Old 09-22-07, 11:13 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like this forum member is running the straight bar drops

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stujoe/...7600268372831/
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-22-07, 11:24 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Like mentioned above, the best and easiest alternative is to simply install drop bar ends on his existing straight bar.
I've done the dirt drop route in the past but had to convert all controls with road specific components.
Old 09-22-07, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the pic dobber, that looks like the route Im going to go
Old 05-12-08, 02:19 AM

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Changing over is a nightmare unless you're a dedicated mechanic with a shop full of parts.

The handlebars are thicker on a drop-bar bike, so your existing shifters and brake levers won't fit. This means you have to change them. When you do that, you have to find ones that will still work with your MTB derailluers and brakes. Maybe you'll find something (obscure, rare, and expensive), or maybe not. If not, you'll have to change out your drivetrain and brakes too.

See how a seemingly small job turns big real fast? Sell the bike and buy one with drops, or install drop bar ends.
Old 05-12-08, 03:46 AM

Bikes: Schwinn, National, Tassie Cycle, Avanti, Standish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem 1 - finding a stem. Not too hard or expensive.

Problem 2 - brakes. Road bike brakes with suicide levers work very well with mountain bike vee or cantilever brakes. Connect your road bike levers direct to your mountain bike brakes any way you can.

Problem 3 - gear levers. One solution is bar-end levers. If you can find Shimano ST-CT15 shifters they are great but they need to be streched to fit the the bigger diameter bars.

I did all the above and it is the best commuter.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Faasta/B...96191168053138
Old 05-12-08, 04:00 AM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to help this poor old dead horse get beaten any more, but come on guys, look at the post dates before you dig this old crap up. I surely hope that the OP hasn't been agonizing over this question for the last 8 months. Of course he hasn't posted anything for 5 months, so maybe he tried anyway and is still laid up in the hospital, or his angst was so great that he commited suicide waiting for just the right answer to come along.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 05-12-08, 05:53 AM

Bikes: Schwinn, National, Tassie Cycle, Avanti, Standish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dammn, I wasted my time. Oh well someone else may benefit.
Yes.....must look at dates!
Old 05-12-08, 06:08 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The most cost effective way to put drops on an mtb is to use bar end shifters and get some cheap aero brake levers from Tektro, Dia Compe or Nashbar. Old Suntour barcons can be had very cheap on Ebay and the brake levers can be ordered new for 20-30 dollars.

That's assuming you have cantilever brakes. If you have V brakes, the road levers won't work with them. So you'll also need to get some cantis. Once again, cheap ones can be had for around 30 dollars.

Also, check your fit and make sure that the effective top tube length of your mountain bike aproximates what your size would be if it were a road bike. In other words, I ride a road bike with a 58cm top tube. If I were to convert to drop bars on an mtb that had a longer top tube, I'd need a shorter stem.
Old 05-12-08, 06:54 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
The most cost effective way to put drops on an mtb is to use bar end shifters and get some cheap aero brake levers from Tektro, Dia Compe or Nashbar. Old Suntour barcons can be had very cheap on Ebay and the brake levers can be ordered new for 20-30 dollars.

That's assuming you have cantilever brakes. If you have V brakes, the road levers won't work with them. So you'll also need to get some cantis. Once again, cheap ones can be had for around 30 dollars.

Also, check your fit and make sure that the effective top tube length of your mountain bike aproximates what your size would be if it were a road bike. In other words, I ride a road bike with a 58cm top tube. If I were to convert to drop bars on an mtb that had a longer top tube, I'd need a shorter stem.
There is a new road lever/hood assembly coming on line from Tektro (RL520) designed to operate MTB style v-brakes or mechanical disc brakes. This will make the conversion a little easier. Change the shifters to bar ends and most of the problems are solved.
Old 05-13-08, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Twahl. I've done the same thing dragging these old posts up. The problem is that you find them in Google and don't look at the date because its an "archived" post. It's definitely annoying, just saying that it happens.