Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I need to replace this wheel, is it worth it?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-12-07, 04:52 PM
Viking Warrior

Bikes: 60's SpaceLiner, 60's Ross Futura, 60's Sears spyder, 70's Zebrakenko, 98 Ross Chimera Hybrid, 90's Schwinn Frontier, and ThunderHorse, my trusty mountain steed, also my gf's 64 Schwinn ladies cruiser and her purple lowrider are at my disposal.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was hit from behind by an SUV, I am fine, the bike is fine, except for the rear wheel. I brought it to the shop down the street from me, but they said it will cost at least $35-40 for the wheel, and since the rim is ruined they won't have the leverage to pull the gears off so I would probably have to buy a new one of those, which is another $20, with the new tube and tax and everything else, I am going to end up paying around $70. It's a Ross Chimera Hybrid, This bike cost $30 at a yard sale, I don't know if I want to spend twice that much to get it working again, but I really liked riding this bike before it got hit and I can't seem to find another hybrid or even a replacement 700c for cheap anywhere around here. What should I do, just scrap the whole bike? Try to sell it to someone who is willing to fix it up? Try to fix it myself and save some money (keep in mind I have no real bike repair experience)? Advice?
Old 09-12-07, 05:06 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyMac
I was hit from behind by an SUV, I am fine, the bike is fine, except for the rear wheel. I brought it to the shop down the street from me, but they said it will cost at least $35-40 for the wheel, and since the rim is ruined they won't have the leverage to pull the gears off so I would probably have to buy a new one of those, which is another $20, with the new tube and tax and everything else, I am going to end up paying around $70. It's a Ross Chimera Hybrid, This bike cost $30 at a yard sale, I don't know if I want to spend twice that much to get it working again, but I really liked riding this bike before it got hit and I can't seem to find another hybrid or even a replacement 700c for cheap anywhere around here. What should I do, just scrap the whole bike? Try to sell it to someone who is willing to fix it up? Try to fix it myself and save some money (keep in mind I have no real bike repair experience)? Advice?
Won't the SUV driver's insurance company be paying for this?

See: https://www.massbike.org/resources/crash.htm

What you paid for the bike is irrelevant. Is this bike worth $70 with a new rear wheel? I would say, yes.

It should be possible to remove the freewheel, actually. I would chop out the spokes and grab the hub in a vise. This will mangle the hub, but that hub is nothing special anyway.

Sheldon "Ve Haff Ways..." Brown
Old 09-12-07, 05:06 PM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you post on Craigslist, I'm sure someone would have an old wheel they'd sell to you for $30 or so.
Old 09-12-07, 05:07 PM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is that 6 or 7 speed?

I think I have a rear wheel.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw it was 700.
Old 09-12-07, 05:15 PM
Viking Warrior

Bikes: 60's SpaceLiner, 60's Ross Futura, 60's Sears spyder, 70's Zebrakenko, 98 Ross Chimera Hybrid, 90's Schwinn Frontier, and ThunderHorse, my trusty mountain steed, also my gf's 64 Schwinn ladies cruiser and her purple lowrider are at my disposal.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually

Well, the driver of the SUV actually gave me his old mountain bike to make up for it (what are the odds of being hit by a kind and friendly motorist?), and it's not bad, I ride it to work sometimes, but still, I miss the ease and speed of this hybrid. As far as craigslist goes, I have posted requests for it, and gotten in touch with everyone who said they had wheels for sale, and it's a hard size to find, apparently. I think if I didn't have to replace the freewheel, I wouldn't mind paying for the wheel, and the bike shop guy even said he might be able to pull it off with a vise. So I was going to go back there tomorrow with the spokes and rim removed and I guess let him see what he can do. Thanks for the input Sheldon and Tellyho, and thanks for the offer of the wheel Stacey, too bad it's a rare size.
Old 09-12-07, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure, it's worth it.

I really like those 700c "hybrid" bike from the 90s. They're kind of like touring or cyclocross rigs and a lot more desirable than new "hybrids" that have suspension forks and giant seats, to me at least. It doesn't look like it's got great parts or anything, and maybe it's hi-ten steel, but if you like the ride it's not like you're fixing up a busted huffy or anything.
Old 09-13-07, 06:48 AM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
700c is most definitely not a rare size. 99% of current road bikes use them. You should be able to find one.
Old 09-13-07, 06:56 AM
Viking Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've posted another request on craigslist asking for a 700c wheel, but if no one responds today I might just bite the bullet and bring it to the shop. I got the spokes and rim off, so hopefully they can save the freewheel, and save myself $20. We'll see I suppose. Either way, I hope to have this back up and running as my main commuter by next week.
Old 09-13-07, 06:01 PM
robhunterx

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate/Kestrel 4000/GT Rage/Litespeed Unicoi/Litespeed Obed FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to check the frame width hub measurement (old). Most hybrids with 700 wheels have the 135 mm old hubs typically found on a mtb. Lacing up a mtb hub to a 700 rim could be a fun winter project. You might want to go with a freehub and cassette and drop a little weight. 7 speed cassettes are pretty cheap & easy to come by. Good luck.
Old 09-13-07, 06:12 PM

Bikes: 90' Trek 1000, Trek 700 cyclocross conversion, Legnano, 54 Indian Scout, 1980 Trek 412, Zeus Professional?, Raleigh Team USA, Raleigh Technium, Scott Spark 60,...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am sure you can find a cheap wheel for the bike. Much cheaper than $70. Check ebay, craigslist, etc. If you are patient, you will find it. I took a wheel from a Specialized Crossroads (6 speed), and put it on my Trek 700 7-speed. I just took apart the hubs on both, and took the longer axle, and spacers from the 700 hub, and installed them the Crossroads hub. Then the wheel worked fine on the Trek 700. (They were both 700c)
Old 09-14-07, 09:26 AM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heck, I just scored a free 700c wheel from the dump the other day. Of course, I had to get a new axle and cones and true the hell out of it, but it's still free! Tire still had the injection nipples, even.
Old 09-14-07, 12:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was the police notified? His insurance company? He's getting off pretty easy giving you an old bike for what could have been a serious injury accident. Get him to at least pay for a new rear wheel from a bike shop, or you start making some phone calls.
Old 09-15-07, 05:09 PM
Viking Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the new wheel! And I am so glad that I did, this bike is real nice to ride. It's a world of difference from riding my mountain bike. Here is a new pic:
I named him Bob. He's going to be my new main commuter. The next step is fenders

happy little ponies.

Shiny Newness. I was able to save the freewheel.

This is ThunderHorse, the mountain bike that the driver of the SUV gave me. I like it, but it's a little bit much for the daily commute. I am going to steal the lights and lock off for Bob. It's probably not going to see much action till the snow starts to fall (in a matter of weeks).
Old 09-15-07, 05:11 PM
Viking Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why those images didn't post. oh well, they're all up on my flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeymac
Old 09-15-07, 05:43 PM

Bikes: 90' Trek 1000, Trek 700 cyclocross conversion, Legnano, 54 Indian Scout, 1980 Trek 412, Zeus Professional?, Raleigh Team USA, Raleigh Technium, Scott Spark 60,...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice pics. You named your bike? LOL!

So where did you get the wheel? Did you buy a new wheel for $70, or find a used one?
Old 09-16-07, 04:19 AM
Mixitup

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice seat. you sure about the fenders next?
Old 09-16-07, 05:23 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyMac
I got the new wheel! And I am so glad that I did, this bike is real nice to ride. It's a world of difference from riding my mountain bike. Here is a new pic:
I named him Bob. He's going to be my new main commuter. The next step is fenders

happy little ponies.

Shiny Newness. I was able to save the freewheel.

This is ThunderHorse, the mountain bike that the driver of the SUV gave me. I like it, but it's a little bit much for the daily commute. I am going to steal the lights and lock off for Bob. It's probably not going to see much action till the snow starts to fall (in a matter of weeks).

Great to hear you're back on the road. I just love success stories.
Old 09-16-07, 08:28 AM
Viking Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It ended up costing $50-60 for the new wheel and tube and tax and a small charge ($5) for labor for the guy to have to take the freewheel off the hub and put it all back together, true the front wheel, etc. But then I decided to install tire liners too so that was another $15. But I am more confident in not getting flats, I hope. All in all, I feel like I have made a good investment, and I am glad I came on here first to help me make up my mind to do it.

and Blender, I know that seat looks crappy, there is a hole in the middle (crotch ventilation?), my roomate duct-taped over it, I took the duct tape back off because it looked trashy and felt weird, but believe me, this seat is pretty comfortable, and most likely won't be ripped off if I lock the bike up somewhere.

and hhabca, I understood the risks in not getting the police involved, but personally I didn't want to deal with all that stuff, especially since I wasn't even hurt. The guy made a mistake, I yelled and cursed at him at the time, he felt terrible about it, offered me a ride with my broken bike, and immediately offered his old bike when I said I don't have a way of getting to work. Since I personally didn't have anything invested into the bike yet (it was still my roomate's at the time, and he didn't care about it), I thought a new bike from the guy would be just fine to make up for it. I am sure that sometime I will be involved in an accident where the police will have to be notified, but I think I am ok here.
Old 09-20-07, 06:22 AM
Mixitup

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
AHHH duct tape as anti theft camo - genius
Old 09-21-07, 06:47 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Won't the SUV driver's insurance company be paying for this?

See: https://www.massbike.org/resources/crash.htm

What you paid for the bike is irrelevant. Is this bike worth $70 with a new rear wheel? I would say, yes.

It should be possible to remove the freewheel, actually. I would chop out the spokes and grab the hub in a vise. This will mangle the hub, but that hub is nothing special anyway.

Sheldon "Ve Haff Ways..." Brown
An alternative if you really want to save the hub (assuming a modern Shimano-style casette).

Take the broken wheel and a casette lockring remover to your freindly neighborhood mechanic, and ask him to give it a quick burst with an impact wrench (set on reverse, of course), while you hold the casette with heavy gloves or a heavy rag.

Obviously not to be used for installing, but in this instance, it works nicely. (Been there, done that, saved an expen$ive hub.)
Old 09-21-07, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kotts
.....Take the broken wheel and a casette lockring remover to your freindly neighborhood mechanic, and ask him to give it a quick burst with an impact wrench (set on reverse, of course), while you hold the casette with heavy gloves or a heavy rag......
I think Kotts is right about this. I had almost forgotten about this trick, and it does work for those impossible situations. Certainly worth a try if you have a remover that fits a socket on the air wrench.