Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Is stealing to make a point wrong?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-06-07, 06:16 PM
Invented the Skid Salute

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle, Schwinn Tandem, Specialized Metal Matrix Comp, Peugeot UO8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I was walking around and noticed free wheel after free wheel. Saw 4-5 unlocked QR front wheels, some of them were pretty nice (Mavic Aksium!). Anyway, I spent about 20 minutes debating whether or not to steal them to make a point to their owners. I ended up not, but I did leave a mean note in their spokes. Tomorrow if they're still unlocked should I do the deed?
Old 09-06-07, 06:19 PM
sharkfin.

Bikes: davidson track. landshark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stealing is for scumbags. dont be one.
Old 09-06-07, 06:19 PM

Bikes: 1971 Peugeot fixed/single convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a guy not long ago who would leave his fixie right out in front of my building all day everyday with nothing but his rear wheel locked to his frame with a U lock. I thought many times about just walking off with his bike, but instead I just took his front wheel off (a red Deep V which matched the back) and left it leaning against his frame with a note that just said "learn to lock you bike"

I never saw that bike there again. Hopefully he started bringing it inside with him or at least locking it to a rack.
Old 09-06-07, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hell no!
Old 09-06-07, 06:22 PM
Invented the Skid Salute

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle, Schwinn Tandem, Specialized Metal Matrix Comp, Peugeot UO8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seven Sane
There was a guy not long ago who would leave his fixie right out in front of my building all day everyday with nothing but his rear wheel locked to his frame with a U lock. I thought many times about just walking off with his bike, but instead I just took his front wheel off (a red Deep V which matched the back) and left it leaning against his frame with a note that just said "learn to lock you bike"

I never saw that bike there again. Hopefully he started bringing it inside with him or at least locking it to a rack.
Yeah, I debated doing this, but I really didn't want the guy to lose his stuff, but sometimes tough love is what it takes... Is it dumb to leave a phone number so he can get his wheel back?
Old 09-06-07, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that would be telling him who stole his wheel
Old 09-06-07, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
see, I didn't even take it, I just left it there, and kind of put it behind his bike so it wasn't just all out in the open. If I came up and my front wheel was off like that, I might be a little annoyed at first, but I'd be thankful that I still had it and who ever did it was right. Now if my front wheel was straight gone, I'd be ready to kill somebody.
Old 09-06-07, 06:29 PM
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was this chick walking in the park late last night. It was pretty dark there and obviously a bad idea for her to be walking there alone.
Anyway, I spent about 20 minutes debating whether or not to **** her to make a point. I ended up not. Tomorrow if she's still there should I do the deed?

Last edited by deathhare; 09-06-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 06:30 PM
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of moving an unlocked bike a few places down, but unless I knew the person I could never steal a bike.
Old 09-06-07, 06:36 PM
coventry rat

Bikes: gitane criterium bernard hinault beast, bmc streetfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's no point to vigilante faux theft, unless you want to risk that person walking out to see you messing with they're QR wheel, and then have them u-lock smash your jaw into 20+ pieces. imagine trying to talk you're way outta that one, "but i was a trying to teach a lesson by removing you're wheel, don't you get it you idiot! *clank* *crunch*"..leave the theft and lesson teaching to the crackheads and bums, and if you're really irked then a passive-aggressive note would a better avenue. don't mess with other peoples stuff, thats negative points
Old 09-06-07, 06:37 PM
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can mess around with them, but do not steal them. The owners of said bikes would probably be too hot-headed when you try to give it back (if you do) to be reasonable/learn a lesson. They would probably be thankful once they cooled down, but, no, stealing others' bike tires is not right.
Old 09-06-07, 06:42 PM
is probably wrong

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC, Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fact that you would even consider this to MAYBE be a HALF decent idea...means you suck...bad...real bad...
Old 09-06-07, 06:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dumpsterlife
The fact that you would even consider this to MAYBE be a HALF decent idea...means you suck...bad...real bad...
Pretty much.
Old 09-06-07, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by deathhare
There was this chick walking in the park late last night. It was pretty dark there and obviously a bad idea for her to be walking there alone.
Anyway, I spent about 20 minutes debating whether or not to **** her to make a point. I ended up not. Tomorrow if she's still there should I do the deed?
hahahahahaahahaha
Old 09-06-07, 06:46 PM
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
hahahahahaahahaha
Man, I completely missed deathhare's first post. Clearly, that is the best post of the thread, hahaha.
Old 09-06-07, 06:47 PM
It's an old photo

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not cool, man. Not cool.
Old 09-06-07, 06:49 PM
Invented the Skid Salute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathhare
GG Allin would say yes.

And I wasn't going to keep the wheel, like I said, I was going to leave my phone number so he could get it back; however leaving your phone number after what is probably legally theft didn't sound to smart.

Originally Posted by calculus
and if you're really irked then a passive-aggressive note would a better avenue. don't mess with other peoples stuff, thats negative points
this is what I did. I'm not a ******, and I don't steal peoples stuffl; I also don't want people's stuff to get stolen, hence the lesson.
Old 09-06-07, 06:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calculus
there's no point to vigilante faux theft, unless you want to risk that person walking out to see you messing with they're QR wheel, and then have them u-lock smash your jaw into 20+ pieces. imagine trying to talk you're way outta that one, "but i was a trying to teach a lesson by removing you're wheel, don't you get it you idiot! *clank* *crunch*"..leave the theft and lesson teaching to the crackheads and bums, and if you're really irked then a passive-aggressive note would a better avenue. don't mess with other peoples stuff, thats negative points
See, it was this that I was worried about. Also I kind of felt like **** all day, and I kept checking back to make sure no one took his wheel. I don't think I'd ever do it again, and holy crap no I'd never haul off and actually STEAL anything, but it seemed like it got the point across the one time.
Old 09-06-07, 06:53 PM
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow...no way in Hades would i ever steal some persons bike or wheel, just to make a point. First off, its NOT your property to touch, second no way would i want to deal with the owner.......ESPECIALLY if the owner is anything like me when i see some guy taking my stuff....they end up in hospital.
Old 09-06-07, 06:57 PM
do-over...

Bikes: 69 paramount, 52 bauer stunt, , 30's Appelhans track,06 Bianchi pista, 80's Lotus,Pinarello track, Kalavinka track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lamalex
Today I was walking around and noticed free wheel after free wheel. Saw 4-5 unlocked QR front wheels, some of them were pretty nice (Mavic Aksium!). Anyway, I spent about 20 minutes debating whether or not to steal them to make a point to their owners. I ended up not, but I did leave a mean note in their spokes. Tomorrow if they're still unlocked should I do the deed?
May be the most F--ked up idea I have heard in ages.... and you debated for a whole 20 minutes. You got problems... I bet if you had touched that wheel, the owner that was probably watching from a vantage point was just waiting for some sap to try this, itching to bury his/her lock into you brains...

a whole 20 minutes talking yourself into why it is appropriate to steal someone else's stuff is pretty low...
Old 09-06-07, 06:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a ******
Oh really?
Old 09-06-07, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont steal. “He who holds the ladder is as bad as the thief”

i had a friend who tried to steal a stereo when he was 12. he had to have 8 reconstructive surgeries...
Old 09-06-07, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross; Raleigh single speed; Dahon MU SL folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, go ahead! take it, do the deed! Like you said, a point should be made to the careless owner and you should get the bike for bringing it to our attention. Thank you.
Old 09-06-07, 07:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Leave well enough alone
leave well enough alone
I know my stuff and I'm smart enough
to leave well enough alone…"†

- Wil

see here

Last edited by Wil Davis; 09-06-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GG Allin would say yes.

And I wasn't going to keep the wheel, like I said, I was going to leave my phone number so he could get it back; however leaving your phone number after what is probably legally theft didn't sound to smart.

this is what I did. I'm not a ******, and I don't steal peoples stuffl; I also don't want people's stuff to get stolen, hence the lesson.
probably legally theft ? it's theft, ******.

Go back to your planet. Things don't work thay way on earth. We'll beat your goofball azz if you try that crap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.