Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New lighting system and the skunk

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 11:19 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Sunday, while getting my bent ready for the morning commute, my 5 watt headlight decides to short out. I can see the smoke curling up from the case. I managed to save the 20 watt light, but alas the company no longer makes my 5 watt case, and their new system is not compatible.

So I decide that I can actually make the ride in the morning with only the 20 watt light. I know it is a power hog, and it won't last the whole 40 minutes into work, but I am going to try anyway. All is well until I realize that the short must have damaged the battery as well, because the light will not stay on. Every bump either turns it on or off. I am too far from the house to go back and change plans, so I press on. On the darkest part of one trail, the light suddely comes on to reveal a SKUNK in the middle of the trail. WHOLY SNIKIES! The startled little fellow has (thankfully) no time to react to my sudden presence and freezes. I jump the peddeling into overdrive and scoot past him all the time praying he won't lift his tail. In my mirror, I watch him waddle off the trail, and I make it the rest of the way to work without smelling worse for wear.

Time for a new lighting system
Old 08-17-07, 11:25 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One thing about a "Civilsed" country- We don't have skunks- or a great number of the dangerous animals you have over there. Mind you- There are alwayes scares about escaped Dangerous animals so won't be long till an area over here starts smelling a bit rank from an escape colony.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-17-07, 11:48 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
One thing about a "Civilsed" country- We don't have skunks- or a great number of the dangerous animals you have over there. Mind you- There are alwayes scares about escaped Dangerous animals so won't be long till an area over here starts smelling a bit rank from an escape colony.
Hah - I wouldn't consider setting foot on your soil until I know your "extremely dangerous" animal had been captured. I'd rather risk juggling the baby cub of a grizzly bear or swimming with sharks with a cut on my arm than risking the attack of one of your hordes. https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6916900.stm
Old 08-17-07, 11:59 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
One thing about a "Civilsed" country- We don't have skunks- or a great number of the dangerous animals you have over there.
So, what are you saying?
Old 08-17-07, 01:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
So, what are you saying?
To quote the Bard---"Just Saying"

Now as to that Escaped heifer in Durham- Durham is a town- in fact it might be a city. If the Police cannot find a stray cow in amongst all the concrete and Tarmac- I am more afraid of the police- Or their lack of ability.

Spike Milligan