Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Potential fuji conversion; questions about this potential purchase

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-06-07, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

This will be my 2nd fixie (first was a 2006 Langster, which my GF has 'borrowed' indefinitely).

I have *NOT* purchased it yet, but am (hopefully) going to look at it tonight. My questions for you guys.
  • It looks like the cranks are those "welded onto chainring" kinds, so I'll probably need new cranks. Will the bottom bracket give me problems to get a standard "track" chainline(43mm)??
  • If I wanted to replace the BB on this, are they readily available? (and easily made to 43mm chainline)
  • Do you have any info relating to the "Fuji Berkeley"?

Thanks in advance..

Old 08-06-07, 01:18 PM
Stinky McStinkface

Bikes: Clemente Custom(not built-up), TI Raleigh Record SS, VitaSprint Mixte SS, IRO S.E.(coming) Ibex Trophy Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read here just today that Fuji's are great for conversions. People here really like them. VALite tubing is supposed to be decent. Looks like you got a nice from there... nice color too.

I think a standard BB will do fine. Chainline depends on what cranks you use. The way the spider is made determines the length of the spindle. Some BB's are adjustable.

If you are using the orignal cranks you have to measure from the center of the seat tube to the crank tooth to determine chainline. The general concensus is that 1mm off is not going to be noticeable. Unless you are anal about that sort of thing, as I am

From the distance those 'rings look riveted. If they are, you won't be able to remove the big one unless you cut it with a disc grinder.
Old 08-06-07, 01:32 PM
Boston did not sob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't mention how much it would cost?

Maybe you want to do a conversion, because that's what you're into, and that's cool. However, if low cost is your deal, may I suggest the BD Windsor Hour? I just got one, and I am totally jazzed on it. It's the same frame as Fuji makes (not so pretty TIG welded, so not stylie like the bike you're looking at above).

Anyhow, just something else to consider
Old 08-06-07, 01:39 PM
Stinky McStinkface

Bikes: Clemente Custom(not built-up), TI Raleigh Record SS, VitaSprint Mixte SS, IRO S.E.(coming) Ibex Trophy Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9Rings

Maybe you want to do a conversion, because that's what you're into, and that's cool. However, if low cost is your deal, may I suggest the BD Windsor Hour? I just got one, and I am totally jazzed on it. It's the same frame as Fuji makes (not so pretty TIG welded, so not stylie like the bike you're looking at above).

You can't compare the Windsor Hour frame or even the new Fuji to this Fuji. At least I wouldn't.
Old 08-06-07, 01:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9Rings

I like the Windsor quite a bit, but I really want to do a conversion. I already had a Langster, but even then I really wanted a nice conversion. (My GF has since "stolen" the Langster from me).

They want $90 for this bike, plus a rear wheel, new tires, brake pads, cables, cranks, etc, it'd probably come out to about the same as the bikesdirect windsor.

It makes sense to just get a crate bike, but I really want a conversion!!
Old 08-06-07, 02:09 PM
jerk store

Bikes: '80s Chimo Garbage fixed 36/14, Centurion fixed 42/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it. It looks like the bike is in great condition, and it has forged dropouts. I think it will turn out really well.
Old 08-06-07, 07:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathletics
Do it. It looks like the bike is in great condition, and it has forged dropouts. I think it will turn out really well.
I went to see the bike, and it is really nice.. I couldn't resist! It is now sitting in my kitchen.. I'm going to do a "build-up" thread which can be found at the following link. I rehosted the sellers photos in the new thread, and will add my own as things become interesting.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...62#post5014362
Old 08-06-07, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Guru new steel Lotus converted fixed Jamis sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a fuji convert just to check it out. i kept the original crank esc but got deep v's ended up buying the sputnik and swapping out the wheels. T he ride is much more confortable