Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

good breakfast suggestions

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-23-07, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay, every morning (well at least 5 mornings a week) I get up and go for a ~8~10 mile bike ride. I don't eat before I go, I drink a tall glass of water and hit the road. When I get back after my ride (40minutes to 1 hour later) Im starving. What ends up happening is I stop at (insert popular drivethrough here) for a small breakfast of some kind.

What im looking for is healthy breakfast suggestions that still taste good. I fear that riding off 400 calories only to stop at mickey D's is being counter productive. any suggestions?
Old 07-23-07, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oatmeal.. Seriously, one of the best slow carbs in the world... I have a bowl every morning... Fills me up and keeps me full for a long time
Old 07-23-07, 10:07 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I normally chew down a whole grain toast with peanut butter and a sliced up banana on top. Sprinkle a little honey on top and I'm good for an hour ride easy. After I come back from the ride I chew on a small bowl of cereal, again with fruit mixed in like strawberries or some other berries or maybe the rest of the banana (if my kids haven't already eaten it)
Old 07-23-07, 10:17 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oatmeal is great.

I find oatmeal too much work (because I won't do instant), so I usually do a banana and possibly toast if I'm hungrier.
Old 07-23-07, 10:34 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peanut butter and honey sandwich.
Old 07-23-07, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the oatmeal. It's what I have for breakfast every morning.
Old 07-23-07, 10:39 AM
Can you donate today?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate plain cooked oatmeal. I'll eat the oatmeal uncooked in a bowl of milk. Its great.
My wife makes some concoction with 8 egg whites, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, cinnamon, and a little sugar free vanilla syrup (the kind you put in coffee for flavoring) then she microwaves it. It looks like sh*t, but tastes like french toast.
Old 07-23-07, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about instant oatmeal?

one of the things that I have done in the past was an egg and cheese sandwhich, one piece of toast with one egg pan fried with a piece of cheese over the top.

I generally don't eat lunch. I usually eat breakfast and then skip lunch and have an early dinner...
Old 07-23-07, 10:51 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
what about instant oatmeal?

one of the things that I have done in the past was an egg and cheese sandwhich, one piece of toast with one egg pan fried with a piece of cheese over the top.

I generally don't eat lunch. I usually eat breakfast and then skip lunch and have an early dinner...
1) It's bad to skip a meal....can make your body confused and "store fat" because it thinks its being deprived.

2) An egg & cheese sandwhich taste good, but are you trying to lose weight? Pan fried egg is fried in oil and cheese is mostly fat. Not very healthy....tasty, but not very healthy.

3) The only reason I don't do instant oatmeal is that its less natural (preservatives and stuff), but its probably better than egg & cheese sandwhich.
Old 07-23-07, 10:59 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Oatmeal or coddled eggs

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-23-07, 11:17 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
live yoghurt + mashed fruit or store bought compote (plain fruit with NO extra sugar) + sugar free muesli (NOT granola)

UK product that's easy to find as a random example
https://www.yeovalleyorganic.co.uk/ta...?group=Natural
https://www.yeovalleyorganic.co.uk/ta...uit%20Compotes
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-23-07, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My typical pre-ride breakfast is either a bowl of granola-ish cereal with 1% milk or a clif bar, and a glass of fruit juice (real juice, not the 'cocktail' HFCS stuff), often with a banana or apple. This gives me good fuel for the first hour or so, then gels, accelerade, heed, etc as necessary.

Jim
Old 07-23-07, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
1) It's bad to skip a meal....can make your body confused and "store fat" because it thinks its being deprived.

2) An egg & cheese sandwhich taste good, but are you trying to lose weight? Pan fried egg is fried in oil and cheese is mostly fat. Not very healthy....tasty, but not very healthy.

3) The only reason I don't do instant oatmeal is that its less natural (preservatives and stuff), but its probably better than egg & cheese sandwhich.
im not usually hungry at lunch time. what does everybody suggest when that happens?

as for the egg and cheese, I was afraid you guys would say that.
Old 07-23-07, 12:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You dont need instant oatmeal.. Get the big box of quaker oats (non-instant rolled variety) and nuke it for 2:30 with water. You need to add a pinch of salt, and if you like it sweet use honey instead of brown sugar. It is better for you. A big box will be ~$5

As for lunch time, even a power bar will let your body know there is food around. Power bar, goo, some fruit, etc...
Old 07-23-07, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also dig oatmeal for breakfast. But...I hate plain otmeal. I always put non-fat yogurt or cottage cheese in there, or no-sugar maple syrup, artificial sweetener, and either fruit (berries, peaches, kiwi, and apples are nice), or couple of tablespoons of unsweetened baking cocoa powder (15 calories per tablespoon, and 1/2 teaspoon has as much "chocolate" in it as a candy bar). The added protein from the yogurt or cottage cheese makes me feel full longer, and I think it allows me to work out longer.

If I wake up late, and am doing a ride that morning, I try to keep it really light, and find oatmeal to be too heavy. On such days, I usually just eat fresh fruit and non-fat cottage cheese. There is water in the fruit, and your body burns off the fructose quckly while you ride.
Old 07-23-07, 12:44 PM

Bikes: 1993 Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my summer cold museli mix= rolled oats+raisins+hazelnuts+some other raw mixed nuts+shelled raw sunflower seeds+shelled raw pumpkin seeds+linseed+unsweetened coconut

The night before put 6-7 heaping tablespoons in a bowl with some lowfat milk, put it in the fridge, and by morning its soaked up the milk, cold and naturally softened. Cut a banana or a peach and add a bit more milk before consuming. The raisins, coconut and fresh fruit make it sweet enough that I don't add honey or sugar.
Old 07-23-07, 12:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another for oatmeal, I have been doing instant but need to move to plain. I love blueberries and they love me. I end up getting the frozen blueberries with nothing added to them due to cost. An ounce of raw almonds before your ride will go a long way to keeping you from being starved as well.

Unprocessing my life is harder than I thought it would be. Chicken Mcnugget (which I do not eat) has 37 ingredients and 72% of its calories come from corn.
Old 07-23-07, 12:55 PM
Keep on, keepin on

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy Custom build, Giant Sedona, '06 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 glass of skim milk, 1 cup of weight watchers yogurt, 1/2 cup dry quick oatmeal.

Drink the skim milk as usual, then mix in the dry oatmeal with the yogurt....yummmm seriously
Old 07-23-07, 12:57 PM
Enjoying the Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A protein shake can be pretty good breakfast. It will also give your muscles the energy they need to recover from your workout.
A simple recipe:
Milk or Water
Ice
Scoop of dry whey protein of your favorite flavor. (@ your local health store)
~1/3C Ground Oatmeal (I buy it and grind it in the blender then re-store it)
Frozen Berries of your choice.

Throw it all in a blender and grind.

To save time and not use the blender you can omit the frozen berries. They taste good, but sometimes it's easier to just throw it all in a bottle + shake.

Alternatively, granola bars can be good breakfast. Just check the packaging to make sure you're not getting the kind loaded with sugar.
Old 07-23-07, 01:00 PM
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my favorite pre- or post-biking breakfasts is Kashi (or similar cereal like Grape Nuts) with fat-free yogurt instead of milk, and a banana.

I love oatmeal, but I'm not a huge fan of instant. I need to try Nater's Nuked Oatmeal recipe.
Old 07-23-07, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually eat cereal, yogurt, fruit smoothie, or fress fruit for breakfast. If I'm going to ride in the AM, I'll have a PB&J or half a turkey, ham and cheese sandwich.
Old 07-23-07, 01:38 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I need to drop some weight in a hurry, I ride early in the day on an empty stomach too. Sometimes I'll make 1/2 a protein shake.

I'm like everyone else, when I get back I hit the oatmeal. Old-fashioned is better than instant. I add a few raisins and a little brown sugar etc.

After the ride your body needs protein too. I also try to eat some scrambled egg whites (between 3-5). I leave one yolk for coloring.

Glass of OJ and a vitamin pill.
Old 07-23-07, 02:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daily breakfast:

1/2 cup of Fiber One w/ skim milk
1/4 cup of Egg Beaters scrambled with cheddar cheese. (I mix 2% and fat free shredded to make 1%)
2 oz turkey sausage patty (Home made w/ 99% fat free ground turkey and Penzy's sausage seasoning. You can precook and then just nuke in the morning)
1 banana
4 oz glass of Vegetable juice
8 oz glass of water

Somedays I'll make a veggie and cheese omelet using 1/2 cup of egg beaters and skip the turkey sausage. I just use frozen veggies. Saute for a couple of minutes to thaw and then add the eggs.

Joe
Old 07-23-07, 02:05 PM
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
What ends up happening is I stop at (insert popular drivethrough here) for a small breakfast of some kind.
Take a granola bar with you on your rides (or two, for longer trips). That way, if you get the munchies while you're out, you'll have a healthy alternative to fast food. Quicker energy too, in case you need to refuel mid-ride. Works for me, anyway.

For breakfast (1-2 hours before a ride), I usually have my multivitamin, a bowl of whole grain cereal with nonfat milk, a bannana and/or a container of nonfat yogurt, and a large glass of water. Sometimes I'll have a small glass of juice as well.

I find that gives me all the energy I need to get through a 2-3 hour ride, and generally carry me through until lunch. Breakfast is my largest meal of the day, so I don't feel too bad about waking up to 500-600 calories. Especially if I'm going to work most of it off before lunch anyway.

-DR

Last edited by Dr_Robert; 07-23-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
What im looking for is healthy breakfast suggestions that still taste good. I fear that riding off 400 calories only to stop at mickey D's is being counter productive. any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Install a set of Tyresavers on your wheels. After running thru some fresh roadkill you can pick off some tasty tidbits. I love rattlesnake- tastes like chicken!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.