Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki questions for Nishiki people

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 06:05 PM

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I recently posted about my Nishiki Royal that I had just finished upgrading. However, a search of the forums leaves me empty-handed as to the quality or date of this bike. It is never mentioned in the usual lineup of Nishiki bikes. The serial number is ARYC466854. Has anyone actually compiled any information on Nishiki serial numbers, or does anyone know where the Nishiki Royal stacks up compared to other Nishikis?
Old 07-08-07, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Here are a few pics of my 84' Continental.

It also has decorative lugs and a chro-mo tubing decal.
I am guessing your frame to be late 70's maybe early 80's by the lug work and the plain steel tubing frame.
The $10 Nishiki Rally I posted in your other thread has fairly plain lugs and no decal. Too bad you didn't have some of the original parts to ID the year.
Old 07-08-07, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
T-mar has.... send him a PM.
Old 07-08-07, 07:17 PM

ricohman,
The lugging on your continental is pretty much identical to that on my Royal, down to the little heart shapes inside the lugs. It also has little heart shapes on the bottom of the downtube. Your frame is in much nicer condition than mine though. I was tempted to strip it and powdercoat it, but wanted to maintain the Nishiki charm.
Old 07-08-07, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 1978 Nishiki Superbe, 1982 Miyata Team, 1987 Miyata 912, 1987 Davidson Challenge, 1993 Bridgestone RB1-7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 T-Mar

+1 Heart-shaped cutouts

Old 07-08-07, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here was my Nishiki International before I spray bombed it. Mine has the Suntour Blue line of components (all tucked away in a box because its currently my fixed gear commuter.)
Old 07-09-07, 10:50 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
The saga of my Nishiki International
Old 07-09-07, 11:32 AM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
reverborama,

I finally got down to visit the Bikesmith in P.B.

You were right, he was a super nice guy and had a lot of vintage stuff in there. He even had a Schwinn Superior I was interested in buying for my wife until I got her a Paramount. I plan on going back when the need arises. The owner used to work at an old Schwinn shop down the street back in the 60's, a place I would occasionally go to lust over Krates and Sting Rays.

The seller you bought that Nishiki from still advertises stuff on Craigslist. Nothing really exotic or unusual, but his prices generally seem fair. I haven't been over there yet but have emailed him with some Schwinn date information.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 07-09-07, 11:43 AM

To get back to the topic at hand- here is a picture of the decal on the bike naming it a "Royal" not "Royale". According to T-mar, this may indicate the bike is newer than 1981. I will post pictures of the components and information about their dates this evening.

Old 07-09-07, 05:06 PM

Here are some pictures of the derailleurs that came with the bike. Possible golden arrows?

Old 07-09-07, 05:21 PM

After looking up the components, I have dated them to late 1983 and early 1984, probably making the bike a 1984. However, that now means I have no idea where this bike falls into the Nishiki lineup, as it apparently not related to the Nishiki Royale.
Old 07-09-07, 05:36 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
reverborama,

I finally got down to visit the Bikesmith in P.B.

You were right, he was a super nice guy and had a lot of vintage stuff in there. He even had a Schwinn Superior I was interested in buying for my wife until I got her a Paramount. I plan on going back when the need arises. The owner used to work at an old Schwinn shop down the street back in the 60's, a place I would occasionally go to lust over Krates and Sting Rays.

The seller you bought that Nishiki from still advertises stuff on Craigslist. Nothing really exotic or unusual, but his prices generally seem fair. I haven't been over there yet but have emailed him with some Schwinn date information.
Cool. I think both of them would be surprised how much that bike's been ridden since I got it home. I threw some fenders on it and use it to tow a small trailer. I even helped a guy move with it.

Video here (that's me talking about the broken helmet midway through the story).

My International dates to 1976 based on the codes on the components. That seems about right for a 10 speed with a cast metal head-badge. I saw an American Eagle that was very, very similar with the same cast head-badge but "American Eagle" where Nishiki was -- shoulda had my camera there. They changed the name in, what 1972 or 73?

Last edited by reverborama; 07-09-07 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 12:04 AM
Downhill Junkie

Bikes: Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this a good deal?

57m Nishiki Prestige 12 Speed Road Bike. $240.
Nishiki Prestige Road Bike
Frame size 57cm
Speeds 12
Tires 27 x 1 1/4 Anodized Araya rims chain ring & deraileurs
New tubes & tires grip tape
Italia Saddle

I want a bike for long distance touring and I want to know if this bike is good, (both for the price and in general)

thanks,
jeff
Old 05-21-08, 06:53 AM
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
That's probably more than I would spend for it, but it seems to be in pretty good shape. They are nice strong frames for touring. Good solid lugged frame. Man, this thread was almost a year old. thanks for bringing it back up.
Old 05-21-08, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are indeed Golden Arrows. In fact, I am looking for a Golden Arrow rear derailleur, you can PM me ...
Old 05-21-08, 08:46 PM
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by icdrummer
is this a good deal?

57m Nishiki Prestige 12 Speed Road Bike. $240.
Nishiki Prestige Road Bike
If it'll make you feel better about it, I will admit that I paid more for the exact same frame with a mixed bag of components (some junk, but one being a Campy SR crankset that I sold, so that helped out). Same color too, only difference is that mine is 58 cm. The crank on the one in your picture is not original. Tubeset is Tange Infinity -- seamed DB. Frame and fork weigh just about 30 grams more than my Raleigh 531C 57 cm frame, so it is respectably lightweight. And very nicely constructed, IMO. I would pay that much for a bike like that, no problem.

BTW, it's not really touring geometry -- look at the space between rear tire and seat tube -- not a lotta room there for fenders. Chainstays are only about 42 cm long. On my frame, the distance from axle to brake hole is about 370 mm in front, 368 in the rear. Lamplight has a beautiful build done on the same frame, with fenders; but I'm not sure whether he used 700C or 27" (larger, and the size original to the bike as marketed) rims.
https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ghtsg/Nishiki/
XXXI suspect that the rims on the bike you've pictured may not be original, either.XXX Whoops! I take that back -- they're probably the original Arayas like Lamplight's bike.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 05-21-08 at 09:14 PM. Reason: misinformation
Old 05-21-08, 09:10 PM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Those ones are nice, mines a hunk of junk lol, though it rides very nice, some reason the chain skips though.